New forward peg solution (Gen 2)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch

Reaction score
Going on week 6 with the ’06 and have put on just over 4,000 miles. Not bad considering it sat over a week waiting for tires and an air cleaner when I got it home. I ordered forward peg plates from Garauld and am very pleased with that experience. A few weeks ago I saw someone had a used set of pegs attached to sliders for sale and that got me thinking about putting pegs up there.

A large motorcycle salvage yard is near where I live and last week I stopped in and asked if they had a stash of used pegs - was allowed out into the yard, shown a large wooden box on a pallet full of pegs and what they were attached to. I found these mounts with large rubber spring returned pegs and thought they might work, took them inside and was told five dollars for both.

I like the fact they are forged steel – chrome, and had a 12mm mounting hole. I removed the rivet and stock peg and used passenger pegs from a FZR600. The position plate, ball bearing and spring were used also so these “click” into position.

I really like how they work and look, having my boots just on the lower peg to spanning both pegs - my boot heal fits on the lower peg and the ball of my foot is on the upper peg – (feels sort of like a floorboard) - to using just the upper position, a lot of choices (I like that).

All that was needed for this conversion was two 12 x 1.25 x 80mm bolts and a few aluminum spacers I was able to spin out on my metal lathe. The same result could be done with stacks of washers if need be. To remove these and return to stock would take two minutes tops.

I saw many other mounts in that box that could be made to work so if this idea appeals to anyone check around for a bike salvage yard. I find it satisfying to do things like this – something different and didn’t cost much money.

Last edited by a moderator:
FJPegs005_zps4d0b1003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't that the location where sliders would normally go? Have you ever considered putting sliders on your bike? Also, I would be concerned that in the event of a get off, those pegs might make for some interesting results.

But hey, what do I know... just a question.

Seems like a great idea though, and a great re-usage of something old from another bike. Just curious, any idea what bike your peg holders came from ?

Gary

darksider #44

From that big crate of old bike parts - I have no idea what bike they were for.

Yes - this is where the aftermarket sliders usually mount. The only reason I would want sliders would be for a tip-over (not moving).

These mounts are sturdy enough to hold the bike up if it tipped over in the driveway or garage - as far as what would happen while moving down the road - who knows?

Latest posts