New Garmin Map update available

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
CLICKY HERE

Apparently, they are changing how they rename the updates. Last version was version 8. No version 9 this time around, just "Map Update 2008".

Dropped $5 in price also. BFD.

Hope it's got some good updating, as current maps aren't all that current for high growth areas like here in Arizona.

When I try to open Mapsource after downloading it for the very first time ever, I get the following error message....

" Access was denied when mapsource tried to read from the registry. Please consult your system administrator and start Mapsource again ".

Anyone know what the hell this means and how to rectify it ?

CLICKY HERE
Apparently, they are changing how they rename the updates. Last version was version 8. No version 9 this time around, just "Map Update 2008".
I'm still new to this whole GPS thing and just got mine last week. If I want this mapping software, I have to spend another $70?? There's no one year free updates or the like?

CLICKY HERE
I'm still new to this whole GPS thing and just got mine last week. If I want this mapping software, I have to spend another $70?? There's no one year free updates or the like?
Yea, there should be. I got a free upgrade to v. 7 from v. 6 when I bought my GPS.

ponyfool - if you bought your Garmin and it came with ver X and the next version had already been released then you are due a free upgrade. If in doubt give Garmin a call, they're pretty friendly folks.

When I try to open Mapsource after downloading it for the very first time ever, I get the following error message....
" Access was denied when mapsource tried to read from the registry. Please consult your system administrator and start Mapsource again ".

Anyone know what the hell this means and how to rectify it ?

This sounds like a computer specific problem with access rights. Is this a Win XP operating system? Are you the owner/administrator of this computer? If not, you'll need to sign on as Admin to install this as it seems to make an update to the system registry. If you have all the rights of admin then your anti-virus software may be blocking the update. You may have to temporarily disable it to install the software.

That's my input.

Herkypilot

Garmin recently changed their upgrade policies and licensing.

From what I've been told, you will no longer automatically qualify for a free upgrade from one version to the next just because your unit came with the previous version - CSRs can overrride the policy.

The other is that they no longer authorise two navigators with one license - so people like me who have more than one unit now have to pay for each update separately.

Not much changes from one version to the next - it all depends on when your area was Navteq-surveyed and what updates your town has provided to them in the meantime.