New Garmin Motorcycle GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link.

I'm guessing a street price of about $750.

Until they can get an affordable Bluetooth option that will pair more than one device to your helmet at a time I don't see this Bluetooth-motorcycle marriage lasting.

Still leaves out bike-bike, bike-passenger, radar (but getting close)

Maybe if the GPS unit had 1 or 2 audio inputs (Garmin are you listening?)

You can register on the Garmin site to win a free one, starting today...

I'm not rushing to replace my $300 Quest. But the features look cool, especially traffic.

Now if I could find a Bluetooth helmet...

I'm not rushing to replace my $300 Quest. But the features look cool, especially traffic.
Now if I could find a Bluetooth helmet...
How about this one from Dainese? $$$$

2_kirishima_BT_blu_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres a bunch more good info on this product under the vendor offers portion of the website!

Impressive! They really did some thinking into what riders would need. I think it has moved to the top of my list. When I win the free one, I'll do an in depth ride report. :)

Zumo may be the latest greatest then. Looks good to me. I have a Garmin V now and for the last 4 years. Not sure if there has been much actual improvement to the map functions, other then beautifying it alot. Still works good enough. The Zumo may be the next replacement though. :)

Looks like the navigation unit that has everything I need. My only problem is I bought the Garmin 2820. Other than saving maybe $80 street price, it appears to be the same electronics wise with an easier to use touch screen for riders. Maybe I bought the 2820 too soon.

I'm told that Zumo is based on the Nuvi hardware platform, with the user interface tweaked for left handed, single hand use.

The display is supposed to be somewhat better than the Nuvi for direct sunlight use.

The new typing interface may make text entry very slow.

I still like my 276c

I preordered one here: https://www.starmarinedepot.com/Garmin+zumo+550.html
Supposed to be out in Octoberish. I wanted this one due to the XM capabilities. One less thing on the handle bars.

If you deduct the price of the XM reciever you would have had to buy, it seems like a good deal to me.

It looks like it will need the GXM-30 reciever/antennae which will still have to be mounted. The only advantage is that it will interface with the Garmin and the Garmin will be the controller and display.

S76 Bob

"I preordered one here: https://www.starmarinedepot.com/Garmin+zumo+550.html"

Let us know if you receive your Zumo 550 from Starmarinedepot.com, my understanding is Garmin will not ship to any dealer that is offering a price less than MRP, they will not talk about it, it is just their policy and this is the reason why I can't even offer my frineds and family a lower price than what Garmin have demanded.

I think the law states if they don't communicate with their dealers, it is not price fixing, only when there is communication that it can be an issue. Garmin just issued a notice about MRP and it clearly indicates there will be no communication or reply to any questions about MRP policy between Garmin and their dealers.

They made the MRP rules very clear, you break MRP, you don't sell their Garmin GPS units, they are protecting the big box stores such as Best Buy, Circuit City, Good Guys, Radio Shack, Target, Costco and indirectly, helping out smaller brick and mortar stores like Auto Nav 2000.

Just giving you some heads up about pre-ordering at a lower price. If you don't work for Starmarinedepot, chances are, you will not be getting one any time soon.

Let me know if I am wrong, meanwhile, ask ANY Authorized Garmin dealers about MRP program and you will find the same answers as I have posted here.

Good luck

04FJR4ME

Auto Nav 2000 Plus, Inc.

WWW.autonav2000.com

I preordered one here: https://www.starmarinedepot.com/Garmin+zumo+550.html
Supposed to be out in Octoberish. I wanted this one due to the XM capabilities. One less thing on the handle bars.

If you deduct the price of the XM reciever you would have had to buy, it seems like a good deal to me.
The XM in the Garmin units is external (GXM-30) and is not included with the Zumo - it IS included with the 2730, though you lose the Bluetooth and a whole bunch more going that way.
Get ready to spend another couple of hundred to get the feature, assuming you ever get your unit.