New Garmin Motorcycle GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let us know if you receive your Zumo 550 from Starmarinedepot.com, my understanding is Garmin will not ship to any dealer that is offering a price less than MRP, they will not talk about it, it is just their policy and this is the reason why I can't even offer my frineds and family a lower price than what Garmin have demanded.I think the law states if they don't communicate with their dealers, it is not price fixing, only when there is communication that it can be an issue. Garmin just issued a notice about MRP and it clearly indicates there will be no communication or reply to any questions about MRP policy between Garmin and their dealers.

They made the MRP rules very clear, you break MRP, you don't sell their Garmin GPS units, they are protecting the big box stores such as Best Buy, Circuit City, Good Guys, Radio Shack, Target, Costco and indirectly, helping out smaller brick and mortar stores like Auto Nav 2000.

WWW.autonav2000.com
Alpine Electronics used to do this back in the 80's and 90's. I guess they finally realized that they could make more selling high volume through the big box stores than selling high profit low volume through the mom and pop shops...I wonder how long Garmin will hold out?

I'd love to know how well the fuel thing really works. My MPG can vary dramatically based on how I ride, road conditions, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
S76 Bob

"I preordered one here: https://www.starmarinedepot.com/Garmin+zumo+550.html"

Let us know if you receive your Zumo 550 from Starmarinedepot.com, my understanding is Garmin will not ship to any dealer that is offering a price less than MRP, they will not talk about it, it is just their policy and this is the reason why I can't even offer my frineds and family a lower price than what Garmin have demanded.

I think the law states if they don't communicate with their dealers, it is not price fixing, only when there is communication that it can be an issue. Garmin just issued a notice about MRP and it clearly indicates there will be no communication or reply to any questions about MRP policy between Garmin and their dealers.

They made the MRP rules very clear, you break MRP, you don't sell their Garmin GPS units, they are protecting the big box stores such as Best Buy, Circuit City, Good Guys, Radio Shack, Target, Costco and indirectly, helping out smaller brick and mortar stores like Auto Nav 2000.

Just giving you some heads up about pre-ordering at a lower price. If you don't work for Starmarinedepot, chances are, you will not be getting one any time soon.

Let me know if I am wrong, meanwhile, ask ANY Authorized Garmin dealers about MRP program and you will find the same answers as I have posted here.

Good luck

04FJR4ME

Auto Nav 2000 Plus, Inc.

WWW.autonav2000.com

I understand what you are saying. I read on another forum the same thing that you have said is true of their dealers. But if a distributor is not a dealer, and that is based on the number of units sold, then they don't have the hold on them until they sell enough units to become a dealer. In this case they said order quick because once this guy sells enough units Garmin will squish him. I don't know really. I read it on the internet so it must be true...right?

I intended to get one this winter. So if this doesn't pan out then I am just back to where I started. I do understand I need the XM antenna, and it seems I can get them (motorcycle specific with a 40" cable) for $40 or so. Is that correct or am I missing something? Why do some say $200 plus?

Obviously, I don't understand all I know about this.

The XM "antenna" used on Garmin GPS units is not only a simple antenna , but is in fact the entire recieving unit for the XM radio. Thus it will cost more than a replacement antenna for a stand alone XM reciever. The Garmin unit only acts as a display and control , but has no XM capabilities on it's own without this special "antenna".

Did not someone say this several posts back in this thread?

KM

I'd love to know how well the fuel thing really works. My MPG can vary dramatically based on how I ride, road conditions, etc.
+1 on the mileage fluctuation with driving styles. I had nearly a tankful coming home that was running 26 MPG.

I was thinking on the way back from Reno that it might be a nice feature based on the fact that when the bike is all farkled up GPS, radar, tank bag, etc... the gas gage is sometimes hard to see.

The only way I can possibly see this GPS gas gage working is you enter your tank range (i.e. 220 miles) and you have to reset the GPS at each fill up. Then after travelling ~200 miles the GPS says "time for gas, here are the nearest gas stations." and how to get there.

The XM "antenna" used on Garmin GPS units is not only a simple antenna , but is in fact the entire recieving unit for the XM radio. Thus it will cost more than a replacement antenna for a stand alone XM reciever. The Garmin unit only acts as a display and control , but has no XM capabilities on it's own without this special "antenna".Did not someone say this several posts back in this thread?

KM
Yup. Your right. I got it now.

Thanks