New GPS mount with Iway 500C

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motordog1

Reaction score
I came up with a new mount for my Iway 500C. I was looking for the least vibration and the most stability. I used the base from the sportbikecam.com camera mount and just attached a 1 inch ram ball with a 1/4 by 20 thread pitch into one of the existing holes tapped into the mount. This mount works great, and with various lengths of ram arms I can use it for either my camcorder or my gps. Previos I had tried the Tech Mount stem nut mount and found it unsatisfactory. I did however tap the stem nut for an additional ram ball. The ram mounts seem to transmit less vibration and are much more adaptable.

gpsmounttwo.jpg

gpsmountone.jpg

Iwayfour.jpg

Iwaythree.jpg

stemnutrammount.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have the I500C and have it mounted on a short stem mounted ball. BUT I think your idea is better although I have had no problems with my Lowrance for almost a year of usage now. Question - can I purchase the camera mount seperately and make a mount like yours? I can handle the threading of the ball but I really like the looks of the piece of the camera mount - where can I purchase the camera mounting part?

Thanks for the pics!

Hello to both Floridafeeger and motordog 1, I do not wish to change the conversation, however I must ask; how do you like the I way, saw some in use at EOm last year and think I like them the best, some metioned hard drive and vibration of bike a bad thing. Have you experienced any bad things freeze lock up etc?

How is the mapping? which sw version do you have, thxs for the replys

I have used my I500C almost a year now with no problems at all including the vibration/hard drive.....it is sooo convenient to have all the maps in there all the time - I have the latest version of maps as provided by the Lowrance website. It will not take other maps - just it proprietery pre-loaded mapping. The 10 gig MP3 place is fantastic too. When the pretty lady voice tells me that I am needing to turn right in 500 feet the unit mutes the music - I have it plugged into my Autocom Active 7 Intercom which is the best investment I have made in the farkle department. Keith at Tulsa Truck center takes care of my Autocom needs. I have previously dealt with Lowrance (the company) and they are a class act - they will support their products long after the sale with no questions asked. And for what I got it was the cheaper color unit I could afford that had all the mapping and voice directions. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I came up with a new mount for my Iway 500C. I was looking for the least vibration and the most stability. I used the base from the sportbikecam.com camera mount and just attached a 1 inch ram ball with a 1/4 by 20 thread pitch into one of the existing holes tapped into the mount. This mount works great, and with various lengths of ram arms I can use it for either my camcorder or my gps. Previos I had tried the Tech Mount stem nut mount and found it unsatisfactory. I did however tap the stem nut for an additional ram ball. The ram mounts seem to transmit less vibration and are much more adaptable.
gpsmounttwo.jpg

gpsmountone.jpg

Iwayfour.jpg

Iwaythree.jpg

stemnutrammount.jpg
Since your links weren't working I went out and found them and reposted for others. I need to mount my iWay 500C to my **new** FJR and this looks just like the ticket!! THANKS!!!

DSCF2601-1.jpg

DSCF2596-1.jpg

DSCF2598.jpg