New HeliBar design - anyone using? Comments?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Farkling Naomi, my new to me 2013 FJR. Need to move bars back and up. On KrZy8, 2006, left and right side risers are discrete units bolting to stock triple clamp.

The new design is different, see pix below. Has anyone tried and or currently using this set up? Is it worth the $250? Any problems with brake fluid leakage/seepage with the 'extendo' hose?

TIA - dcarver

HR09079_web-1__55571_zoom.jpg

No. None of us have seen or heard anything about it.

Well...

The HeliBar Bridge has a couple pretty detailed threads here somewhere and Richsp51 just had a thread about the replacement brake line. It is not any more difficult to install than the old version other than adding the brake line extension. That part is not hard either, you just have to be careful not to drip the fluid on painted parts. Rich has sourced an entire brake line which does away with the ugly extension.

I do not have any other pics but I remember the job was actually easier than I expected. I advise you to have a friend to help you. The friend does not need to be strong or smart but you will need the extra set of hands. They also help with a little push on the front wheel when you are re-attaching the top triple clamp.

Ahh, good stuff. And here is Richsp51's post on longer line..

..it appears the new Heli's really bring the bars back - anyone still running a large tank bag or is the interference too great?

Last edited by a moderator:
That little hose extension sucks.
thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I'd opt for 2" longer SS lines, color matched and do the clutch line at the same time.

Carver, I looked for some decent pics of the tankbag but this is the best one I have right now:

This thing works pretty well honestly. You have to slide the tankbag pretty far back and it cannot be huge, but it can work. Pop is very happy with his and sits up more comfortably now. This really shows up toward the latter part of a multi day trip.

The bars swing through an arc for adjustment so that the farther forward they are the wider they are and the flatter the angle. They sit you up pretty straight so be thinking about windshields as well.

If you do not wish to go this far, the GenMar riser blocks are still available and they work very well. They do not come back very far but they raise the bars 7/8 of an inch. I think the MCL riser blocks are a full inch.

I'm using that riser with my Bags-connection Trial bag which isn't exactly small. With the bars set in the middle I can honk the horn at full lock. It doesn't hit with the bars set full forward but I don't like it there. No biggie to me that the bars touch the bag as The added comfort more than compensates for that little inconvenience.

I just realized I don't have a picture with it on the bike. RFH? Pants? Either of you get my bike in one of your pics?

I just went through my photobucket and my phone and did not have any decent pics of your bike but I know I took some on my camera. You really do not want them, your bike is pretty ugly.

I was hoping you would chime in here, I knew your bag was pretty substantial. Which is to say, "Your sack is bigger than..."

The other post should have read "...with the bars set full forward..." since back would leave less room.

I've been extremely happy with my riser plate. Cutting through the wire loom was a bitch but everything else went very smooth.

DC, no direct use but helped one of the PNW crew install the Heli riser and brake line extension. As others have said, install was straightforward with an extra set of hands. My $.02, the bars are waaaaaay back, too far for me. YMMV

Most any of the GEN II bar riser solutions will work on your '13. I swapped an older Heli clamp from my previous '09 to the '15...love it.

Have fun farkling Naomi...have you found all the hidden boogers yet?
tonguesmiley.gif

--G

Ahh, good stuff. And here is Richsp51's post on longer line..
..it appears the new Heli's really bring the bars back - anyone still running a large tank bag or is the interference too great?
I have a lot more photos if needed. I'm really happy with the Heli bridge and it looks beautiful once you get rid of that brake line extension Heli supplies and replace the entire line with the +3 inch line that I detailed in my post.

I have the same question regarding a tank bag.

I would have returned the bike if it were not for the heli bridge. Easy to install (though I treated it like it was rocket science). Easy to adjust. Huge difference. Way up and way back. Brake line extension is not a concern. No bleeding or anything like that, at least for my install. I have the unit you posted a picture of, it's not that new, and I would buy it again at twice the price. If heli didn't exist, I'd have gone with MV. But I prefer heli. I could perpetrate a small tank bag, but it's got to be miniscule, other wise you're going to hit at full lock.

I have the new Heli riser as well and a large Givi tank lock bag. Parking the bike this morning I did actuate the horn on the bag. There is some interference at full range of the bars, but none for normal riding. I have the bars all the way back too.

First off, the old independent style risers are still out there. Here's a link to the ones I had on my bike for a while. They fit under each handle bar just using some longer bolts, and raise the bars up by about 1". They do not move the bars back towards you, like the old 1st Gen Heli risers do, which is what I had (and liked) on my '05.

You can see the riser under the bar in this photo:

100_4671.jpg

I tried a set of these when I first got my 3rd Gen. It helps a little, and it gets the bars up enough so that you can mount Vstrom hand guards without them fouling into the two "boobs" on the dash panels. There is no problem at all with a big tank bag in this configuration. I run a Bags Connection City EVO tank bag, which is pretty big, but not all that wide. Here's a photo of it when I had the original risers still on there.

100_4652.jpg

But I am 6'2" tall, sort of long in the torso, and ride sitting up high on a Russell Daylong, so this was not quite enough. Plus, compared to my old 1st Gen, I didn't like the handle bar stock angle. So I bought the HeliBars Bridge riser.

I first tried to install it using the techniques the MV Motorrad unit uses to gain hose length, just releasing the frame mounting blocks to get more hose slack, but that wasn't enough. So I sucked it up and installed the provided extension hose. I just used a MityVac to get the air out of the extension hose and there was no other bleeding required. The looks of the ugly extension bothered me at first, but I've gotten over it.

I have my HeliBar Bridge adjusted so the bars are all the way forward, which improves the handlebar angle for me. Even in that position the bars just barely nudge the big tank bag. The bag doesn't hit the horn in mine, it only hits the button to enable the cruise control. But I figure I'll never be going lock to lock in the steering when the cruise control is on, so that is a non-issue.

I researched the various options and determined that the HeliBar Bridge provides the largest available rise (up and back), and allows unlimited angular adjustment between the two extremes. Other than the ugliness factor of the hose extension, it is the best choice IMO. Here's an ADV tag photo I found that shows the relationship of the bars adjusted in that position and the tank bag.

IMG_0680.jpg

Yeah, parking lot speed is the only time I even notice and it didn't take more than a couple of times to get used to turning at "almost" full lock to the left. The added comfort of sitting a bit more upright and the more relaxed reach to the bars much more than compensate.

I could have used a smaller bag or moved the bars to the full forward position but it really isn't a big deal. So it touches every now and then when I'm peddling backwards out of a parking space. So what?

Easy installation, no problems with the extended brake line, needed every bit of the length to not bind. I have a big tank bag, and it does hit it on full lock, but am used to it now.

Think I'm going KrZy. IIRC, HeliBar used to make a one piece top clamp similar to what MotorCycleLarry offers. Found this pix which shows it.. I'm very comfie with the setback and rise that product delivers, meaning I don't want just a riser.

22.jpg