New HeliBar design - anyone using? Comments?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Gen II/III Heli design was good. I have it on my 09 FJR. Somewhat of a PITA to install. It replaces the stock upper triple clamp.

New Heli design brings bars back further, has more adjustability. I rode an FJR with the new Heli design for over 1,000 miles. In full forward, it was ok. In full back, it was way to far back for me though I could see some peeps liking it.

So I ordered the MV risers for my '14 FJR which I have yet to install. The MV riser plate is not as extreme as the Heli. And no ugly brake line extension required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think I'm going KrZy. IIRC, HeliBar used to make a one piece top clamp similar to what MotorCycleLarry offers. Found this pix which shows it.. I'm very comfie with the setback and rise that product delivers, meaning I don't want just a riser.
22.jpg
You are correct, that is what HeliBar used to sell for our bike. They have uh... evolved and refined? I am not as tall as Fred W (but I am much better looking) and the simple GenMar riser blocks worked okay for me. I prefer the clean looking installation of the blocks and I keep telling myself that the HeliBar bridge is for Old People. I use Pop as an example of this. Yet... I have to admit that when I am on Dad's bike it sure feels comfy.

I feel best with everything cranked all the way back. The bike feels best with the bars one setting forward of the rearmost setting, as indicated by the marks on the helibridge. That puts the bars a little wider than stock, making the bike, and the bike's steering, feel lighter.

punk.gif
punk.gif
!! Sir Fairlaner to the Resuce !!
punk.gif
punk.gif

Turns out he has a triple-tree Heli that came of a '13. So we agreed on a price and it's on the way.

Then, being a salesman Richard is, he sold me on a yamaha topcase painted in 13 livery...
punk.gif

...then he convinced me to sell the 06 and the 13 and buy a 16.
no.gif

I consider the brake line extension like a beauty mark that keeps the bike from being unbearably good looking. Kinda like Cindy Crawford's mole.

I consider the brake line extension like a beauty mark that keeps the bike from being unbearably good looking. Kinda like Cindy Crawford's mole.
Hummm, I considered the brake line extension as an ugly afterthought on

an otherwise beautifully machined part that required surgery.

To each his own. Actually I was able to adjust it so it isn't so obvious and now I don't even notice it anymore.

I am starting an installation of the HeliBar modification, with the parts exactly as pictured above.

However, I'm doing it on a 2016, and it does NOT match the pictures. I've already run into two differences that are causing problems.

The 2016 has a wire coming out beside the two throttle cables. I'm pretty sure this is an electric cable that lets me turn off the cruise control by 'closing' the throttle past the normal idle point. The instructions tell me how to handle the two throttle cables, but not the third cable. I think I can reroute that after I remove the triple clamp.

The '16 has a rubber connection at the top of the fork that is not on the pictured example in this email string. There is a 'Wire, Sub Lead', according to part diagrams I find. Part # 1MD-82509-00-00 and 1MD-82509-10-00. I think that I can just pull these connections off - and then simply push them back on again when I'm putting it back together. But...I don't know. Has anyone pulled these rubber connections off before? Anything awful happen?

I guess my best question - has anyone with a 2016 FJR installed the HeliBar that DCarver pictures above? The printed instructions are excellent with good photos, but they are NOT pictures of my bike.

Any suggestions are really welcome at this point.

The Gen 3 HeliBars? I have them.

I didn't pay absolute attention to the cable routing instructions. Then a month or two later they emailed an update because as you note there is a slight difference in 2016.

I simply snipped cable ties, pulled, tucked, and retied until I had things to my satisfaction.

I have that one in my 14. Superb. Would buy again. Great responsiveness from customer service if you have questions. The brake extension is a non issue. Non issue to install (I was worried), non issue functionally. I've got 35k plus on mine. Love 'em.

Farkling Naomi, my new to me 2013 FJR. Need to move bars back and up. On KrZy8, 2006, left and right side risers are discrete units bolting to stock triple clamp.
The new design is different, see pix below. Has anyone tried and or currently using this set up? Is it worth the $250? Any problems with brake fluid leakage/seepage with the 'extendo' hose?

TIA - dcarver

[img=[URL="https://www.helibars.com/product_images/k/464/HR09079_web-1__55571_zoom.jpg%5D"]https://www.helibars.com/product_images/k/464/HR09079_web-1__55571_zoom.jpg][/URL]

The extension doesn't look any different or more obtrusive than half the other stuff by the bars. You focus on it when it's new because it's new. But everyone is different.

I was slightly bothered by the brake line extension; however I dropped all complains after riding with the finished set up. 600 miles over the weekend vs the O.E. position in which I was bummed since my neck would start hurting after 100 miles.

I love mine. I'm 6'5 and couldn't ride the bike more than 100 before. Now the bars are in the right spot for me to go all day. Only down side is i can no longer tilt the tank back to change the spark plugs of filter or whatever. Just an extra long bolt to remove the tank entirely. Not really a big deal but that was the only detractor I love the new car position

Only down side is i can no longer tilt the tank back to change the spark plugs of filter or whatever. Just an extra long bolt to remove the tank entirely. Not really a big deal but that was the only detractor I love the new car position
Not true! You can get the tank up with the rear pivot bolt loosened but still in place.

You have to slightly turn the handle bars and shift the front of the tank laterally a bit, and then it will just sneak by.

I have done a lot of stuff to my 2014. Some to correct fundamental deficiencies, some for preference. I wouldn't still own the bike had I not put heli's on. Visually and functionally I'd do it again at twice the price. I don't like to modify a vehicle unless I really need to. I'm happy with my Heli.