• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

New Helibar Group Buy (Ends Feb 21st 2009)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any before & after shots or step by step shots for you do it yourself guy's ? petty interested in purchasing the helibars even though the group buy is over, also any pros & con's about install and or before and after
Just installed mine yesterday that I got from a forum member. I had looked at the installation instructions on the Helibar website in anticipation of getting the triple clamp. I always like to be prepared in advance for projects like this! Anyway, the web instructions do not include the photos that they refer to, but there are photos with the delivered product. You DO need to remove or lift the front of the tank, and the t-bar, and the heat shield to access the two ignition switch plugs behind the steering stem. You also need to drill out the tamper proof bolts that hold the ignition switch. These are hefty bolts, the equivilant of 5/16". A drill press is the easiest way to do it, but I imagine that with care, it could be done by hand. ( But definitly NOT on the bike! ).

Most of the hard work is getting to the point where you are ready to install the triple clamp! After that, it is a cake walk. Also, the throttle cable needs to be re-routed so that you have enough slack in the cables at full left lock. I saw a couple of descriptions and pictures of this on the forum, but until I was actually in there doing it, I couldn't understand where to re-route them.

It also is really helpful to have some special tools that you will also need if you are going to do some of your own maintainance: the big socket (26mm?) for the triple clamp top nut, some good metric allen sockets, torque wrench in the 10 ft. lb. to 100 ft.lb. range, etc. Besides, it is more satisfying to do the work yourself that to risk having a dealer who charges around $80 an hour, and who is rushed, to end up dinging up something on your baby!
Thanks for reply, I like to prepare for such jobs as well, my heli bar should be here in the next couple day's so I'm getting geared up, I have done some work to other bike's I've had and have installed a PC III on my present 08 FJR so I've had the tank off and have mingled around under the hood so to speak, I've just never messed with the disconnection of the throttle and from what is shown on the web doesn't do a super job in explanation or photo's, maybe the direction's & photo's that come with will be better or maybe I'm worrying to much and it's pretty simple, That's why I love this forum everyone can pass along help full hints that are maybe missed in some direction,

Thanks again

Chris
Yes, I found that the throttle disconnect was not covered very well in the directions or on the forum, but once you seperate the handlebar mount where the throttle cables go into, it is very easy. Just take your time. The best way I can describe re-routing the cables is to disconnect them from the twist grip, then route them back down under the brake hoses, and back up again on the other side of the hoses. Route them so that they come up between the hoses and the steering head neck. See how hard it is to describe!! Once you get in there though, you will figure it out. Another helpful hint is to remove the cover for the battery on the right side to give you more room to route the cables.

Good Luck, Bill

I didn't make it in on the GB but got mine the other day and finished putting it on last night. Very impressed with the quality of product and ease of installation. I used a small scissor auto jack and a piece of 2X8 under the headers to unload (front tire just barely touching) the floor. I really think it helped as the new clamp slid on like it was lubed. Out for a spin tonight and am Definately voting with the less vibration camp. It's amazing how much more meat there is to this piece, Very solid and and an extra pinch bolt on each tube prolly helps also. I can see that it's one of those products that if it dissapeared from my bike tomorrow i'd be on the phone ordering another the next day.

Just threw this here as i coulden't find the heli install thread and didn't want to bother the world with a new topic.

Cheers and thanks to Jennifer and (the Forgotten Machinists) that we never talk about.

-Don

Last edited by a moderator:
I was part of this purchase. I had the bike in for the ingnition recall and just asked the dealer to do the install after he quoted half an hour labor for it. It works Great and the Ram mount install locations are nice also. I am glad I did it.

It really depends on how much interest we have? If we can get enough commitments I think we can set up another one.

Dang, I just ordered mine from my dealer. That's okay though, the dealer gives me a 10% discount on anything I buy. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It would really be nice if the additional riser could be tacked on to the group buy for those of us who already have the Helibar plate.

I'd be ib for a new group buy, need a more raised and backwards angled handlebar...my left rear shoulder muscles are killin' me

Alfredo

If we can get 10 people interested I will start a new one. We could have it open for about a month or maybe less if you need it quicker.

I wish I had a little while to wait, but the dealer called and stated that my ignition parts for my recall are in and he will cut me a deal on the labor if I have him install the Heli Triple clamp while he is doing the recall work.

I wish I had a little while to wait, but the dealer called and stated that my ignition parts for my recall are in and he will cut me a deal on the labor if I have him install the Heli Triple clamp while he is doing the recall work.
He should do it for free since he has to remove the triple clamp and ignition anyway. Make sure you get a real good deal on that.

If we can get 10 people interested I will start a new one. We could have it open for about a month or maybe less if you need it quicker.
Please put me on the list as soon as a new group buy gets started...maybe a short pm to notify

Thanks

Alfredo

Alright everyone, I just spoke to Jennifer and we have a new Group buy on a new thread. I don't think I can link everyone to the new thread so go into the group buy section and sign up. The quicker we get 10 new people signed up the faster you can order.

Status
Not open for further replies.