New HID lighting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorgod

And now..let me introduce the one and only....MOTO
Reaction score
I saw these while browsing for lights. They seem like a nice set-up that would be very easy to install. The specs seem spot-on. At $199 ea the price is nice.

sc4_hid.jpg

SPECS:

Beam Angle: 28 degree

Color Temperature: 5600K

30 Watt Brightness: 2775 Lumens

40 Watt Brightness: 3235 Lumens

Weight: 510g (18 oz.)

Mounting: Mounts in 3/8" hole

Hmm... about half the weight of the Baja Designs lights, and a fair bit cheaper. I may have to pick up a set and see what I think of them.

Wow, I like...

I knew there was a reason Kharma kept me out of the Soltek group buy :)

For the internet challenged you'll find them [here]

I was thinking about MotoLights, but these may be a better way to go...

single_hid_scmr16_frame_clamp_w250.jpg

Clicky

I'm a believer in "You get what you pay for" but are they half as bad as the Solteks for about half the price?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't buy the motolights. I have a set that was on the bike when I bought it. They are "good to be seen" but not really that great for any forward lighting, more like fog lights.

Do like the looks though.

:jester:

Review of these lights over at ADVRider here: https://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4336341 Make sure to read the whole thread.

Long story short they're good for what they are but their lighting pattern is a plain cone - there's no cutoff, so you will blind oncoming traffic if you use them as they come without any modification.

You can probably get away with using THESE as fork-mounted lights - they have a self contained ballast and a wider beam pattern than the MR16 models. They apparently take a couple of seconds to power up after being switched on. I may order a set of these and fab up some brackets to give them a try. I like Motolights but they're damn expensive for what they are.

Anyone looking at trail tech stuff may be best served being patient for a couple more months. Don't want to go into details, but let's just say there *may* be a street-able reflector coming out for the 4" light, and there *may* be some good mounting options for the FJR becoming available.

And if are looking at these lights, skip over the MR11's and go for the MR16s. 1 MR16 puts out almost 4x the light of 1 MR11.

Don't buy the motolights. I have a set that was on the bike when I bought it. They are "good to be seen" but not really that great for any forward lighting, more like fog lights.Do like the looks though.

:jester:
**** Threadjack Warning ****

Did you try switching the bulbs for 75W spots ?

(instead of the 55W floods)

... after I change my stator I'll be trying the spots ...

Anyone looking at trail tech stuff may be best served being patient for a couple more months. Don't want to go into details, but let's just say there *may* be a street-able reflector coming out for the 4" light, and there *may* be some good mounting options for the FJR becoming available.
And if are looking at these lights, skip over the MR11's and go for the MR16s. 1 MR16 puts out almost 4x the light of 1 MR11.
Very interesting Slappy!

I was waiting on a response from you on these! :rolleyes: :lol:

I was wondering if you were going to chime in here, slappy! ;)

Any news on this?

Any news on this?
I always assumed slapnpop and Warchild were referring to the same developments.

Is that the case?