Which Clearwater Aux Lights? Krista or Erica? Comparison?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Previous to this set I ran two sets of ADV Monsters and never once bothered by any LEO in the U.S. or Canada...and I probably rode through 35-40 of them. One datapoint, however, does not make a rule.

Thanks. Good info.

Auxiliary lights will be my first modification (includes a bright LED brake light) and it surprises me that the Darlas aren't the hands-down favorite. Is it because they're relatively new?
I think if it's a case if you're going to the effort of adding lighting....why not get all you need. Darlas are more about being seen by other traffic, not about throwing light down the road to see things.

any LEO problems from running too many lights? I know some states only allow four forward headlights to be illuminated on the front of a bike under any conditions.
Previous to this set I ran two sets of ADV Monsters and never once bothered by any LEO in the U.S. or Canada...and I probably rode through 35-40 of them. One datapoint, however, does not make a rule.
You can do what I did with my Glenda lights, I added the optional amber lens that Clearwater offers. Tyler took this picture over her shoulder on the way back from the Manchester KOA gathering last spring. As shown, my bike has both the Kristas under the mirrors, and the amber Glendas mounted on the forks. Being amber in color, they can't be confused as another pair of headlights. Note that the picture was taken in the late morning and my Clearwaters were at their lowest setting. The other benefit with the amber lights is that when it becomes foggy, I turn off the white Kristas and dial up the amber Glendas. They become very effective low mounted fog lights.

9e387d18-3a47-4a59-87dd-585820ab3472_zps96c75fdc.jpg

For a review of my rear facing Glenda tail/brake lights, Click Here.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Same set up as Brodie, (except Ericas, aka 'deer melters'
cool.png
)

According to BC regulations, (probably similar in all other provinces):

The amber lights are not considered 'headlights', or 'auxiliary driving lights', but 'fog lights' or even 'running lights'

The Ericas, (and Brodie's Kristas), are mounted at the upper vertical limit for auxiliary lights.

Only problem I have when riding at night is when I flip from full on to dim for oncoming traffic, for a moment it can seem as if I've lost my lights! Also those highway signs are too dam bright
blink.png

any LEO problems from running too many lights? I know some states only allow four forward headlights to be illuminated on the front of a bike under any conditions.
You can do what I did with my Glenda lights, I added the optional amber lens that Clearwater offers. Tyler took this picture over her shoulder on the way back from the Manchester KOA gathering last spring. As shown, my bike has both the Kristas under the mirrors, and the amber Glendas mounted on the forks. Being amber in color, they can't be confused as another pair of headlights. Note that the picture was taken in the late morning and my Clearwaters were at their lowest setting. The other benefit with the amber lights is that when it becomes foggy, I turn off the white Kristas and dial up the amber Glendas. They become very effective low mounted fog lights.

9e387d18-3a47-4a59-87dd-585820ab3472_zps96c75fdc.jpg

For a review of my rear facing Glenda tail/brake lights, Click Here.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif

I took a ride with Brodie and Dan--Glass1/2Full--(where you been lately, Dan?) a couple or three years back. Brodie and I have the same setup but for the amber lenses, but he showed up SO MUCH better than anything else on the road, the first thing I did when we got home was get a set of them on my Glendas. Picture doesn't do them justice. At all.

So Mike! Does it look kinda like this? (May 26, 2012 ride to Mendocino taken over the shoulder along the Russian River). This is a good comparison of Krista + amber Glenda, Krista + white Glenda, and OEM.

2012-05-26MendocinoFJR041.jpg

So Mike! Does it look kinda like this? (May 26, 2012 ride to Mendocino taken over the shoulder along the Russian River). This is a good comparison of Krista + amber Glenda, Krista + white Glenda, and OEM.
2012-05-26MendocinoFJR041.jpg
Matter of fact, it looks EXACTLY like that, since that's me (the painter's tape gave it away).
laugh.png
But really, what it doesn't do is show how much more conspicuous the Glendas with amber lenses are than the same lights with clear lenses on the bike behind me. Hell, even the turn signal lights look almost as bright as the Glendas in that pic, and as you know, there's NO WAY they're even close in real life. Picture comparisons never work for lighting. But I bet a shot of me coming up from about a mile behind on an empty road, next to someone with clear lenses, would be more convincing.

@ Radio Howie--your last bike? You look a little like Norman Bates, ya know?

Auxiliary lights will be my first modification (includes a bright LED brake light) and it surprises me that the Darlas aren't the hands-down favorite. Is it because they're relatively new?
I think if it's a case if you're going to the effort of adding lighting....why not get all you need. Darlas are more about being seen by other traffic, not about throwing light down the road to see things.
Darla has 2,000+ lumens (24W), vs Glenda's 2,400 lumens (36W). The Darla is smaller and lighter: 2-inch diameter, 7-ounce package vs. the 3.75-inch, 17 ounce fixture for the Glenda.

Erica's are sho-nuff deer melters at 6,000 lumens each.

You can do what I did with my Glenda lights, I added the optional amber lens that Clearwater offers.
You know, to illustrate how simple I can be, I've seen those amber lenses and never once considered the fact that they would solve the multiple light issue....

Those look fantastic. Your pic caused yet another cash evaporation from my wallet, because I ordered a set of Darlas and amber lenses. Still have the panels off from other wiring projects, so no better time than the present to add them.