New Jacket for the FNG

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Flame

Reaction score
I am looking for a new jacket. right now I have a couple JR textile that are lightwieght, I used when riding DS. Now that I am riding the blue beauty every day I want something a little more protection. There are so many choices out there where do you start?? I live on the central coast of CA. Summer time temps are 50 deg in the morn and often over a 100 in the afternoon. In the winter time temps can get into the teens. I always have heard that leather is the best choice for protection? I assume the rain will require a completly different set of gear?

Any help with the subject would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking for a new jacket. right now I have a couple JR textile that are lightwieght, I used when riding DS. Now that I am riding the blue beauty every day I want something a little more protection. There are so many choices out there where do you start?? I live on the central coast of CA. Summer time temps are 50 deg in the morn and often over a 100 in the afternoon. In the winter time temps can get into the teens. I always have heard that leather is the best choice for protection? I assume the rain will require a completly different set of gear?
I have a couple of leather jackets that I like, they have some armor. In KS the summers are miserable so I found myself not wearing a jacket. Not a good idea so I bought a text mesh that has a thermal, waterproof liner by Hein Gehreke. I tried on a lot and woulud recommend that you do that, too. I found some brands just didn't feel like a good fit for me. Nothing against Joe Rocket but it just never felt like I could get a JR that fit me. I'm 32" waist, 42" chest, 35" sleeve length.

Good luck, hope this helps.

I recently purchased a Olympia Airglide II jacket and I am very satisfied with its versatility. They seem to make great products so far, and I am particularly happy and feel more confident riding in hi-viz. The layering is very helpful and will definately satisfy your temperature range requirements. Next time, instead of the Airglide, I'd probably go with the Bushwhacker - a longer jacket.

Here's a link.

Cycleport Kevlar mesh (various styles available) if you can afford it. I also have several pieces of Olympia gear and like them as well, just don't feel as protected when wearing them.

I want something a little more protection...I live on the central coast of CA. Summer time temps are 50 deg in the morn and often over a 100 in the afternoon. In the winter time temps can get into the teens. I always have heard that leather is the best choice for protection?
You sound like a perfect candidate for some Cycleport gear, unless you want inexpensive. Call 800-777-6499 and ask to talk to Wayne, tell him Bob Firestine sent ya.

Really, I'm not on the payroll, it just seems that way....

Have the Tourmaster Draft w/ armor........mesh works well........and you can get a liner that would work for 4 seasons.......works well at 90deg down here in SoCal......bought mine for under $90

I recently got a Castle textile mesh jacket, which I switched to from a full leather jacket. I had intended to wear the leather whenever it wasn't hot, but so far, in spite of some cool days, I haven't gotten the leather out again.

It's lighter than leather, keeps me cool, has a windproof/waterproof liner to put in when it is cold and or raining, and the material is somewhat water shedding, I've warn it without the liner through a few rain showers and it kept the parts of me that it covers fairly dry.

As far as protection goes, it has armor and the material is supposed to give good abrasion resistance. I know that good leather offers better abrasion resistance (keep in mind there are plenty of crappy leather jackets that are too thin to offer good abrasion resistance, and some are constructed so poorly that the seams will give and then it wont' offer much at all!) but from what I've seen, that level of protection simply isn't necessary for the street. In racing, they run leather because they can slide out in a corner, hop back on the bike and finish the race, where a textile would save your skin from that slide, it would most likely be damaged enough that you should buy another jacket.

If you do want leather, though, I've heard great things about River Road. I know a couple people who have river road gear, and they all seem to love it, and the prices are downright great considering the quality. I've also heard of them really going the extra mile about getting a jacket to fit right, so if I was going to buy a leather jacket, I would probably be looking at something from them.

I recomend the Redline M-10 jacket. It has nice full length vents to unzip down the torso. Zippered cuffs and a zippered vent accross the back. It comes with a zip out rain coat that goes over the jacket for rain. I of course leave the liner at home and have gone thru several storms and the leather shows no sign of wear or damage. Of course you must keep some mink oil or other conditioner on it from time to time. It also has armor in all the right places. Mine was $345 but at a local bike show they had them on clearance for $250. I really like this jacket!

Some companies make armored mesh jackets with leather patches on likely abrasion areas like the shoulders, elbows, back, etc., but with mesh in other areas. The Fieldsheer one that I have was called the Mach 4 model, but I don't think they make that particular one any more. There are also perforated armored leather jackets and pants that work reasonably well in the heat, but IMO are not quite as cool as the mesh. They are also heavier and stiffer than the mesh or mesh/leather jackets. Inner liners or outer windbreakers can help when it gets cold, but I'm not sure about temps in the teens. You are probably going to need a good rainsuit anyway whether you get leather or mesh. There are also textile oversuits like the Aerostich that you might want to consider.

I like the Tourmaster gear, mesh for summer and Transition jacket for winter, Flex jacket for traveling across climate zones. San Luis Motosports carries the brand and is close to you. Let's ride sometime, I live in Paso and work in SLO.

Rick

For the hot weather I go with an Alpine Stars Air Mesh jacket. It has hard armor in the forearms, elbows and shoulders and soft armor in the back and chest. The full sleeve zip in liner is good for temps down to about 50 and with the liner out I'm comfortable up to 90 (with lots of humidity here in Jersey).

In winter I use this jacket with the liner, under armor and a couple of layers and I'm good down to about 40.

I've already crash tested one (low side from a cruiser) and it saved me from a shitload of road rash and maybe a cracked elbow. Just a couple of tears on the elbow and shoulder. Bought a new one but keep the torn one as a spare and a reminder to pay attention.

Cycleport/Motoport at www.motoport.com. Only need 1 outfit for the entire range of riding conditions, plus you have kevlar as an extra. The only stuff I will wear.

I recently purchased the FS Adventure jacket. Haven't had a chance yet to use it when cool or cold (or wet) but am very pleased with it this summer. The 4 front vents and large rear vent have kept me comfortable even into the mid to hi 90s. 3/4 length and pockets aplenty both inside & out. Lots of reflective area for night riding, too. Good luck with your decision.

Cycleport Kevlar mesh (various styles available) if you can afford it. I also have several pieces of Olympia gear and like them as well, just don't feel as protected when wearing them.
+1

I am waiting for mine right now. When I picked up the fjr (sold my gl1800 last sept) I realized I was going to do more aggressive riding like I used to bw (before wing). Therefore I am completely redoing my riding gear. The Kevlar jacket from Motoport to replace my First Gear Kilimanjaro & Joe Rocket Mesh jackets. Sidi boots to replace my old Bates. Kevlar gloves to replace my light & medium weight leather ones. Now I am debating what to do about pants. I am undecided on Bohn Armor or Motoport pants. . .

I guess when you get old you really want to preserve what's left.

Here's another good link, which I recently used to get a TEKNIC "Sprint" jacket. It is very modular, with more options than I'll be able to figure out when the time comes to re-assemble it! Liner, Heavy overjacket that zips to a mesh warm weather main jacket body. Very nicely made and breathes well in the 80 -90 degree temps we've been having. Only downside... made (very nicely) in China. Sewing and quality seem very solid and well done though, so I guess I'll have to just STFU and be accepting of the realities of a global economy!

www.motorcycle-superstore.com/608/MNGR/TEKNIC.aspx

Lots of good gear out there, and the internet provides some excellent deals if you shop hard. Another place I've used with total success is www.newenough.com

They have totally outstanding customer service as well as great pricing if you happen to get lucky enough to find what you are looking for at the time.

Good luck!

Don

Another place I've used with total success is www.newenough.com
They have totally outstanding customer service as well as great pricing if you happen to get lucky enough to find what you are looking for at the time.

Good luck!

Don
Newenough is a great company to deal with. I just ordered a new Icon leather jacket from them, and have ordered boots from them in the past. Great people.

I have a Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket that I use when it is colder, but I am not to keen on the length. I also have a textile mesh jacket for warm riding, but I really miss having a leather jacket, so I ordered the Icon from newenough. Best price I could find, and again I have dealt with them before.

Chris

MotoGearOutlet.com has the Olympia Motosports Voyager for $145 (half off).

I was thinking about this jacket and this price made it possible to buy without feeling bad if it doesn't work out for me.

I just got the jacket and it is very well made. Might be too hot for me but it isn't that hot most of the time in CO.

Edit

Have the Tourmaster Draft w/ armor........mesh works well........and you can get a liner that would work for 4 seasons.......works well at 90deg down here in SoCal......bought mine for under $90
I too have the Tourmaster Draft. Great in the high heat, and if it's cool in the morning you can always wear a layer under it. Here in Southern California, the heat is more of a concern for me than the cold. Very good protection, and as mentioned above, I got it for under $90.00 at Chaparral. Killer jacket...