New Jacket -Klim Latitude - Awesome

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
Took a few of my Sturgis Rally Scheckels up to Real Time Industries on Monday. Had been feeling the need to upgrade my Jacket from the Tourmaster Flex II. The flex is a good coat, but the new Klim Latitude is better, a Goretex shell with CE2 Armor, lots of vents, including armpit vents which the Flex lacked.

Tested the new Jacket on Thursday started in Red Lodge at 65 deg F, saw 50 at the top of Beartooth, saw 100F outside Arco ID. Got rained on too.

The Latitude worked great, I wore my LDComfort long sleeved shirt and long trousers. I was warm enoughat the top of Beartooth with the vents closed, and with the back vent open and the sleeves closed down pretty tight the Wet LDComfort shirt stayed damp for almost three hours. At 100F I was quite cool, at 85 F I was damn near to cold.

I've never tried the Wet sleeve cooling method before nor have I had a Goretex/Cordura shell style Motorcycle coat either. They seemed almost complementary, the Transfer of moisture out through the Goretex membrane seemed to add to the cooling effect.

Got rained on today in the Columbia River Gorge, the Latitude kept out all the rain. I put my rain pants on over my mesh bottoms and there was no leakage at the front beltline, which has always been a problem in the past.

Alex has quite a stock of Klim gear, check him out if you're interested in some great gear.

https://www.realtimeindustries.com/

I picked up the Badlands Pro jacket, on closeout from Real Time last month. Very pleased so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had my Klim Latitude jacket for over a year now and is hands down the best Jacket I have ever owned! Still 100% waterproof and has enough venting to wear on a warm day. My buddies latitude developed a "leak" and he sent it to Klim so they could test it. They ended up sending him a new coat! Expensive gear but worth every penny IMO.

Love my Klim Latitude Coat and pants for the last three years. I crash tested my first set last September 7th when I hit a deer with my old Tenere on the way to teach motorcycle class. The deer folded the fork back locking the front tire for an immediate hard get off at an estimated 70 to 80 mph. The Klim Latitude looked like Swiss cheese but I was 100% road rash free. It was funny at the time watching the ER medical staff taking off my gear and remarking about the condition I was in compared to my shredded gear. They are used to seeing squids and cruiser drivers coming in missing half their hide.

The Klim Apex is the next coat on my wish list when I have an extra several hundred dollars.
fool.gif

Thanks for the apparel review John...

..just curious if any southern riders have this jacket...seems like a lot of black on the jacket.

I like my Oly Air-Glide for the humid hot climate...but am always on the lookout for sturdy gear that would work in high humidity and heat environs.

I don't know if there is such a thing. A 3 or 4 season jacket will have venting, but not enough. Especially when standing in traffic, which is where the heat and humidity kill you. I wear mesh in the long summer months, and even that can't help much when it's 96 w/ 80+ humidity. In the inland southern states, you can risk heatstroke being ATGATT, but mesh really helps over standard gear.

I was a firm believer in Mrsh until I tried the LDComfort shirt deal. Looking forward to testing it in a higher hummidity climate.

The Latitude worked great, I wore my LDComfort long sleeved shirt and long trousers. I was warm enoughat the top of Beartooth with the vents closed, and with the back vent open and the sleeves closed down pretty tight the Wet LDComfort shirt stayed damp for almost three hours. At 100F I was quite cool, at 85 F I was damn near to cold.
I've never tried the Wet sleeve cooling method before nor have I had a Goretex/Cordura shell style Motorcycle coat either. They seemed almost complementary, the Transfer of moisture out through the Goretex membrane seemed to add to the cooling effect.
Glad to hear this. I'll wear my mesh on warm day rides but for any overnighters I'd prefer my 'Stitch. As I might be riding south next week I just bought a LD long-sleeved to try this out. Hopefully I'll get the same results you did.

Good review, thanks. Almost bought the Badlands Pro recently since it's being cleared out but fit just wasn't working. Looks like they've revised several jackets and pants this year. So how did you do the LD shirt? Did you soak the whole garment or just the sleeves. I tried a Kewl vest recently with modest success but over 100* it just got clammy and didn't cool much.

I like my 840D Klim Lattitude. I have the gray on gray one, no black at all.

The only thing I do not like is that in HOT weather, as you often see here in California, the jacket is too warm - the vents help a little but not enough.

I like my 840D Klim Lattitude. I have the gray on gray one, no black at all.The only thing I do not like is that in HOT weather, as you often see here in California, the jacket is too warm - the vents help a little but not enough.
My first Klim Latitude was made out of the 840 material. It was very stiff, a little warm, and the collar was a little tall but I felt bullet proof in that suit until the deer wrecked it. My replacement Latitude Misano is much softer, less stiff, and not as warm which helps up here in the North Country. But I don't feel as well protected and even rain drops sting through the Misano's lighter textile fabric in the non 840D crash areas. I see the third generation of Latitude has a lot of great improvements and looks even better. I wish I would have known they were going to revise the jacket again before replacing mine last fall.

No way I'll spend $1k on a jacket that isn't worth more than $300. However, since all of you will, they'll keep charging that much.

I had paid > $300 for another jacket AJ. It was a Firstgear Rainier. It wasn't worth more than $100. I realized that after seeing the holes burnt into it by the asphalt after my deer hit. My Motoport pants were in the same crash, and they were unfazed.

The only gear halfway (maybe even more) worth the money is Motoport. I wish they had a waterproof jacket (without needing liners), if so, I would buy that over Klim or anything-else.

The mark-up is in all gear, no matter what brand. So, it really boils down to a $50-$100 jacket vs. a $300-$400 jacket (for what it's worth).

840D cordura in Klim vs. whatever synthetic Firstgear and other brands such as Cortech use for their textile jackets - I will put my bet on 840D cordura.

If Motoport made a Kevlar blend with goretex lining. I would be wearing it!

BTW, I have a brand new Latitude Misano XL which I will post up for sale next week.... worn twice, washed, has original tags. It's the light/gray one.

I'm going to hit Alex up today for a couple of FZ1 fuseboxes for the Tenere and FJR. Time to get the bikes wired up for my fall rides.

I'm going to hit Alex up today for a couple of FZ1 fuseboxes for the Tenere and FJR. Time to get the bikes wired up for my fall rides.

OCD much?

2x3= 6 fuseboxes.