New k1200gt are coming the New k1200gt are comming!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cost of the BMW and coupled with the parts and labor costs I would'nt want it, but thats just me. I'm sure it is a great though and I would like to test ride one. PM. <>< :D

Actually you have just played into a myth. Go price a BMW Hourly labor rate verses your Yamaha dealer. It is surprising they are real close. My local yam. dealer is $87 and hour my BMW dealers is $85. Parts are not really that expensive either, go price a oil filter for a v-strom!!!!!!!
Except for when the BMW dealer surprises you for $500 for the 12k service (my r1100s 36k service). I'm pretty sure no yamie dealer would charge that much for a service call?

Anywayz, have you guys actually seen the k1200gt? It's a pig compared to the FJR. They took a great engine and weighted it down like a pack mule. It doesn't come close to the performance/weight of the FJR. Add the price difference and you have pure gravy.
I know what you mean. Riding home from Tony's place a couple of weeks ago when I picked-up my bike, I stopped by a Yamaha dealer on the way to get the 600 mile service done. $110.00 for an oil & filter change and rear lube change..........oouch! Bike was in the shop for about 30 minutes. I asked the manager for a break, considering I was a poor traveler, riding in the rain for thos 600 miles, etc, etc. I got no pity.

I think you all make goosd points. The bike is nice, as alot of nice stuff, and would be a good steed to do any type of riding. But it is expensive to purchase. We will jsut have to see what the right up say, i do not trust anyone that just bought one and is ridinging it around saying it is the best bike ever.

But at least their are option out their. O ya no PDP thank god

The GT was one of my finalists before deciding on the FJR.

Drop dead sexy scooter, but waaay overpriced. Unfrickingbelievably uncomfortable and few ways to improve ergos at this time. Questionable reliability. And did I mention expensive?

Love that K motor though! Tempting, if I were The Donald.

And don't forget, BMW valve adjustments are a 15 minute job. Tops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget, temp357, the FJR's 26K service will set you back a minimum of 500 bucks...
I don't care much for the looks of the GT, but I like the specs and technology and the ergos for me were spot on.

But, at that price? Don't think so.
Ok,

i'll bite, what's the 26k mile service include and why is it so expensive?

Well, I am not all that impressed. So far, it's all mental masturbation until there are some real world reviews.
Fugly compared to it's predecessor. Waaaay too much $$$$. Smaller alternator output than the 06 FJR. Nice options and accessories. But having to deal with the limited BMW dealerships kinda is a big minus.

We'll see. Of course BMW will sell them to "the faithfull", but I am not so sure it's going to be a "great" motorcycle. Time will tell.
How many extra final drives does it included in that inflated price? :crazy:

I was waiting for the new KGT after I sold my RT, but I like my FJR so much now, I just don't see the need to shell out another extra 10 large to get, what, cruise control I guess?

Don't forget the nifty BMW embroidered prayer mat so you can bow to Bavaria daily... :lol:

So what does this crowd think of this bike.
I think you should put the thread in the correct topic since it's definitely not an FJR topic. Last time I check....yep......there's still "FJRForum" in the URL here. Moving thread to it's new home.

Hasn't this been played out since DEC 05? I vote for the Never-ending sec of the forum. And yes I looked at the GT as well (see dif thread for thoughts) But got the 06 FJ and I am pleased with the outcome.

$$$ aside, I wouldn't short change the new beemer. I have a K12s and that motor is STRONG. It will blow away my FJR. The new GT has more integrated farkles, the wild ESA/hossak suspension...I think it boils down to dealer accessibility and $$$. If you ignore those two factors--watch out FJR.