New kickstand foot

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theycallmemorris

Reaction score
I lowered my bike, and am parked on dirt much of the time, so something had to change with the stock kickstand. When the bike was loaded down and on hard ground it stood almost straight up. I was always afraid that a breeze was going to knock it over. Out came the plasma cutter and welder! After taking the original foot off about a half inch above it, I used the plasma to cut out my new foot from some old steel I had sitting around. A little welding and some spray paint later... Voila'!

Watching paint dry...

IMAG0265.jpg

It works!

IMAG0267.jpg

But on a plus note! I could just cut out a bunch of squares and rectangles to cover most of the other states! Texas works out to be a little more recognizable than most. Florida and California would probably hit the exhaust, so they're outta luck.

For Hawaii you'd have to carry some pieces around in your pocket...throw 'em down by the kickstand when you park.

Very nice. Another option (for lowered bikes)for those of us without a plasma cutter or skills to cut and re-do the kickstand is to do what I did. Just heat up the kickstand in the middle where the curve is and straighten it out mostly, then heat the pad and bend that so the pad sits flat to the ground at it's new angle and then re-paint. I used a MAP gas torch ($10 at home depot). Heat to a dull orange color and bend with vice grips or similiar tool. Didn't even take the kickstand off the bike, but be careful where that torch is pointed working so close to the bike. Put bike on center stand, extend kickstand and go at it. Took about 15 minutes total. I didn't add the enlarged footpad, but that would be a nice touch. Some people grind the kickstand stop a little to increase the forward angle of the kickstand too. That modification is permanent. Heating/bending the kickstand is not.

I had thought about heating it up and bending it, but I plan on having it a long time, and don't foresee myself having a growth spurt and putting it back to normal height. But... If that happens I'll go pick up another one!

The floor is in my dad's shop out behind his house. He had it put on there after the shop was built and all they did was roll it on and toss the flakes around. There's a huge Corvette emblem in the center of it all. I love how it looks, but it's so pretty that it makes you feel bad to spill anything on it or scratch it! Though having it in my kitchen sounds like a great idea!