New Lamm seat ordered - pain in the butt - or not

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dropped my seat off on Feb 8th, he said he would get to it, He did.

Received it a couple of days ago. Too much snow to ride here but it feels great when I sit on the bike and make vroom vroom noises while in the garage.

He called me twice to make sure we were on the same page.

As I saw the shop, and the Mountain of backlogged seats, I understand his business model.

One guy, great product, reasonable or more than reasonable price. As a one man show, every second on the phone costs him $$ and slows the production schedule.

I was and am pleased, would do it again.

Seth called me Thursday, ready to git me a good seat for Ginger. Looking forward to getting it back and doing some comfortable riding (in a few weeks - about 12 inches of shit on the ground now)

-Wow, he actually called you back?? I went to RDL instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
-Wow, he actually called you back?? I went to RDL instead.
Exactly my experience. And thru tested miles found the RDL to be the real day long saddle using 2 Laams and 3 RDL's. We are all made differently I suppose...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I called Seth Laam for the first time one morning about a month ago. He called me back within 15 minutes. Since I have another seat (Corbin) to use, he said to go ahead and ship the stocker so he'd have it on hand in case bad weather caused some of his ride-ins to postpone. I sent it in with a letter providing some of the info about my height, weight, riding style, etc..

He called me again about a week later to let me know he got the seat.

Called me again tonight to get a bit more info (material/thread choices, etc.) and let me know that he'll be building it tomorrow and I should have it by this coming weekend.

I'd say he's been quite responsive, service-oriented and good to talk to.

I like to plan ahead personally, but there are others in this world that do not choose to run their lives this way.... We own a Auto Service shop in a pretty affluent neighborhood, and it never ceases to amaze me the way people run their lives always in such a hurry......
"We are going out of town tomorrow and I need get this car ready to go before we leave"

No appointment, same engine light, water pump leak, timing belt - and everything else they had been warned about months before.

Sorry our schedule is full up this week...... Annnnnddd PISSED OFF PEOPLE !!

So hard not to say to people - Poor Planning on your part does not constitute an Emergency on my part.
My wife works in a collision/repair shop and this is SOOOOO TRUE!!!! She just had a customer go off on her Friday when they showed up about 30 minutes before closing (three hours later than they were supposed to). Of course, the mechanics were leaving for the day and the customer was furious at my wife. Sheesh. AND, this was a customer who carries about a $3000.00 tab for the last year or so, not even one who pays on time.

I am tempted to try Seth, as Laura and I have been wanting new seats for a few years. I need to get off the fence and send him my seats. Can't ride for the next couple of months anyway with all this white crap.
sadsmiley.gif
People are really amazing, sometimes customers like this get me down. All I really need to do is think about all the great people I work with. It's really amazing how a few a-holes can consume so much energy being jerks. The tab is classic, pay your bill - jerk!

I got another call from Seth Laam this afternoon that he was finishing up my seat and would be shipping it today.

Seth said that he really appreciated my patience. I'm thinking that getting a custom seat ordered, built and back home in less than six weeks after my first phone call was pretty darn quick. Didn't require much patience at all on my part.

Since I started this post. I ordered a Lamm seat the day I wrote the post & haven't heard a word form Seth. I haven't inquired either because I know he was backlogged.

I just might order a Sargent & be done with it.

My wife & I plan a day long trip Saturday on the FJR since the temps will be in the mid-60's. This will be the first "long" ride since we bought the bike. Maybe we'll decide the stock seats are fine.

Since I started this post. I ordered a Lamm seat the day I wrote the post & haven't heard a word form Seth. I haven't inquired either because I know he was backlogged.
How did you "order" it ST? Historically Seth hasn't done a good job of using his web site and emails to improve the business. Keep in mind that he is running the business by mostly himself with all the challenges of doing that.

If you want to check out a Laam seat, call Seth directly between 7-7:30 pacific and you'll catch him.

Just my $.02!

--G

My wife & I plan a day long trip Saturday on the FJR since the temps will be in the mid-60's. This will be the first "long" ride since we bought the bike. Maybe we'll decide the stock seats are fine.
Not likely based upon my 13,000 miles on the stock seat.

Call Seth try 530-351-5643

All communication for my seat was done via phone - nothing through his website. All calls were answered promptly and turnaround for my seat was less than 10 days. Unless things have changed, I think he is a one man show right now and extremely busy.

Thanks for the advise guys. You're all correct I ordered off the form on the website. I guess I should make the call.

Nobody offered opinions on just buying a Sargent.

Funny

Many weeks ago I "ordered " a seat on his website, no reply

Called, got message,he called back right away

Sent my seat and waited

Winter here anyway, no rush and thanked me for my patience.

And that's the key, he's going to miss commitments, you'll need to continually follow up but he's a heck of a nice guy, obviously builds a great product, will call back when pursued. In a rush? Got a temper? Maybe not the right guy I think :)

And although I paid him on the day he said it was ready to ship, got electronic receipt, no tracker # arrived as promised ...... But I'm patient ;)

When one has too many irons in the fire they really need to own up to the thought of getting someone to help them out.... otherwise too much stress becomes overwhelming and things start to fall apart.... He has an assistant for paperwork from my understanding, but I'm thinking he has enough business to add maybe a couple of part time kids to assist for the little stuff.... take some of the burden/load off

The key to running ones own business is learning how to delegate and with that also the need to trust those delegates.... They will screw up, but thats they only way for them to learn.... Sometimes its hard to give that "I can handle it" up, but in the end its worth it and thats how business's grow....

He seems to be a very nice guy and makes a great product, thrilled with mine..... just needs some assistance to keep things organized from what I can tell....

Latest posts