New member looking for advice buying a FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schwartz

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

Tom, checking in from Fort Wayne, IN. I am 26 and looking to buy my first motorcycle.

I know I am going big for my first bike to buy, but I have learned on road recently on Rebel 250 then been riding a buddies Honda NV700 and grew up playing with dirt bikes and scooters.

I am also enrolled in a training course in the next month.

I am looking at FJR's as my primary choice in a sport touring bike. I have yet to ride one, because no one has any of them, new or used nearby.

My secondary choice is a BMW R1150RT. I wouldn't mind a R1200RT but they are above my budget. While I love BMW, their maintenance costs and reliability scare me.

So that leads me to look for a late production 2006 and higher. I would like to spend less then 9k but I understand some low mileage examples will be higher then that price.

My question to you is if I found a 2006 FJR with 54k miles for $7k for sale at a Yamaha dealer is it a good deal? What if it was $6k? Its a one owner, the dealer has done all the maintenance over the life of the bike and they have all records.

What should I look for on a used bike? I saw the new purchase checklist, is there a used purchase checklist?

I have read all the main problems with the bikes on this forum and it doesn't appear to be any major issues(other then the cam tensioner). I just dont want to pick up a bike that has that many miles and have problems with it.

I would rather spend a little more money with so many less miles and higher resale values later on.

Thanks

Well, welcome to the forum.

Yes it is a lotta bike for a first run, but looks as though you have some riding experience, and that certainly helps.

Do take the MC safety course...nuf said.

Well, if your budget is 9k, then there are certainly much better deals available for you than the one proposed by your dealer.

Check the forum threads in the for sale, and you will get a great idea of what these bikes are selling for.

That being said, If your search is indeed hamstrung by location and lack of FJR's, then 54k is not a lot of miles

for this type of bike. There have been posting on this site for 05'/06' w/54k miles for less than 6k. It's still a

buyers market; which is shrinking fast. If the dealer is legit on their records, then speak with the original owner

and let him share with you about his former bike. But, I would definitely get the price in below than 7k. Dealers just

add too many cost into a used bike, imo.

Someone just bought an 08' for $6500.00, and mine an 08' came in under $6300.00 as well w/* * being no bags, but had trunk.

Look into transporting from a distance and such if the deal is good enough.

There are a ton of things to look at for buying a used bike as these. Farkles being something to look at. Perhaps it's a stock

06' w/54k miles (not worth 6k) imho

Perhaps 06' w/54k miles with a AM-seat, new tires, upgraded rear shock, upgraded windshield, power connectors etc..... that will

really make the price worth it then.

Keep options open, and good luck.

+1 on not going with the dealer bike - way too much money. There are plenty of bikes out there - even fleabay. I purchased mine from Texas and shipped it over. Definitely look in surrounding states as there should be plenty of deals out there. Good luck on your search!

Tom, welcome to the Forum. Glad to see you have good taste in motorcycles.

One thought. You said the FJR was your first motorcycle, and that your learning bikes were a 250 and NV700.

The FJR is a great bike, but I am not sure it is a great first bike. Lots of power, lots of weight. Have you considered getting something a bit lighter and less powerful, and spending a year on it learning essential basics of handling? Remember, it is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

You can get a great barely used 600 or 750cc well under $5k, ride it for a year, and then sell it for not too much less than you paid for it. A Vstrom, perhaps, with ABS, which is a great touring bike to start on. If you drop it or lay it down, not as difficult as laying down a 700lb bike. If you try to open it up before you have a sense of its power and weight, you'll get into much less trouble on a smaller bike than on a larger FJR.

I also learned on a smaller bike, riding a Nighthawk 600 for 2 years. After a 5 year gap, I was back on an FJ1100, and then almost 10 years later, was on the FJR. It was helpful to spend time on a lighter, less powerful and less heavy bike. By the time I worked up to the larger bikes, I had a much better sense of feel, cornering, braking, and handling. Even then, it took me a good year to become more comfortable with the limits of an FJR. Had I started with it, it would have taken me lots longer to become a better rider. And I would have certainly dropped or laid the FJR down, given how much I liked to push the limits.

Your $8k budget should include at least $1-2k on decent riding gear, including boots, pants/jacket with good armor (and not cheap Joe Rocket Mesh gear that will melt at the slightest hint of gravel), and a decent helmet and gloves. If you don't have the gear, your budget is really about $7k. Don't cheap out. Too many examples of guys riding nice bikes in their jeans and old leather jackets, and learning the hard way that good gear comes first, before the farkles or fancy bike.

Not trying to talk you out of the FJR, just saying that taking a year or two and starting on something easily within your current skills will pay dividends over the course of your riding career. And you'll have a better sense of whether the FJR is right for you, and then how your skills will need to adapt to handle its characteristics.

Last edited by a moderator:
". . . Not trying to talk you out of the FJR. . ."
Yes, he is. But he's right, Schwartz. Hope you'll reconsider jumping in the deep end for a while.

He's right about spending enough on top-quality gear, too.

Welcome to the forum, though. Use it to learn about your dream bike while you get yourself ready for it. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice guys, I was originally looking at the Suzuki SV650SF ABS but when I talked to my father, and 2 uncles told me to take the training course and then skip a small bike I am going to get sick of right away and just get a bigger bike.

I do really like the Honda NV700 and during my hour ride it rode really nice and fit my frame, but they came out in 2010 and still is quite a bit of money.

As far as riding gear, I spent about 500 this week on last years closeout stuff and got a higher end ICON helmet and, middle of the road Speed and Strength 3 seasons jacket, icon leather gloves, and decent wolverine work boots. I still need pants and rain gear.

So now I need to get my training in and a bike. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I started out last year on a KLX250sf. I was planning on riding it for a year and then moving up to something better suited for touring. That good intention lasted about 7 months before I got FJR fever, and then it was just a matter of time.

I lost about a grand on the KLX but the education was worth it. I dropped it twice with another couple of close calls. These drops could have cost me thousands on an FJR, but ended up only costing me $150 on the 300 lb. bike.

When you do make the leap you will feel like a paraplegic for a week or so, and maybe even wonder if you made the right decision. But there will come a moment after a couple of weeks where you realize you can handle the heavier, more powerful machine and you'll never look back. I'm told that this can be a particularly dangerous time as your confidence has exceeded your skill level, so I've signed up for another MSF training course and work hard practicing slow speed maneuvering. I also try and ride everyday.

My input on the FJR being your first bike.....

3 years ago I bought an '85 BMW K100RT to get some road experience since I hadn't ridden in about 20-25 years or so. I rode the bike one summer and not the next. I knew I wanted to continue to ride but wanted another bike, something a bit 'nicer', so I researched and decided on the FJR. I found a used '07 and picked it up in Jan '10 with 1100 miles on it for $7K, no farkles.

The BMW was the biggest bike I had ever rode and I did drop it once in the driveway, so there was some reservations on jumping at an FJR, but I did it anyway. I had already had the basic MSF course and had some gear so that was a plus. I have had no issues with the FJR being so powerful that I can't hang on to it or figure out how to ride it. I do ride within my limitations and I pay attention to what the hell I'm doing on the road, in the driveway and in the garage. I have just recently wound it up to about 110 on the interstate and that's about as hard as I've ridden it, still working on twisties and leaning it over, but I've got nobody to impress, so no hurry.

Ride smart, know your limitations and ride like you know them, you'll be good with the FJR. My 165# ass has no issues riding it or moving it around, not yet anyway.

Hey guys, I wound up buying a Honda NT700VA ABS. I will prolly keep it for a few years then move to a bigger bike.
cool and congratulations

my first 2 bikes were GS550, then VN750, and then stepped up to a Goldwing 1100.

the FJR was just the ticket for my 4th and probably last bike...it's that perfect at this point

course, God forbid, I can't ride 2 wheels some day, a Spyder would be my preferred choice

I always recommend 750's to novice ish riders, but only after a beginners riding course...Shadow's and Katana's come to mind (Shadow 1100 also)

big bang for the buck...low...nothing bad or quick happens if you whack open the throttle

Hey guys, I wound up buying a Honda NT700VA ABS. I will prolly keep it for a few years then move to a bigger bike.
Nice bike to start with. I just got a friend started last summer with my Transalp and he loves it and finds the beemers and FJR intimidating. I am a believer in the stepping stone approach to avoid getting in over your head.