New Motobatt on the way

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harald

"Superior Gen 4" Rider
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I recently replaced the almost 12 year old factory Motorcraft battery in my truck when it started to get a little slow on cranking. I really hate having my truck not start when I'm miles from a paved road in the middle of nowhere while hunting. :( :angry2: So even though it hadn't failed completely, the prudent thing to do was get a new one.

But this is not the Ford forum, so let's get back on topic. My 07 FJR has been showing a little less spunk when starting and especially so when it's 27 degress like it was this morning. With 57,000 miles and a little over 4 years, I think the stock battery has served it's purpose and I really don't want to have to push start that heavy pig so a new battery is in order.

Considering the cold start issues with the Shorai battery and the fact that I'll ride even when temps go into the teens, it was a non starter in my search. After looking at Westco, Yuasa, Motocross(Yuasa), Motobatt and Scorpion, I settled on the Motobatt MBT14B4 due to it's reputation and 2 year warranty. And I even found a great deal on it for only $69 delivered from www.bikebatts.com . :yahoo: This price is not much more than the off brand batteries and hopefully will yield a battery that'll last as long as the factory one.

I got one two weeks ago too. My current FJR's battery is slow cranking in temps under 50 degrees which we have been having a lot of lately. I had a no-start issue 3 weeks ago when visiting friends and the FJR sat outside overnight. Morning temps were in 30s or low 40s and she barely cranked but not enough to start. Luckily my friends live on top of a hill so push-starting was easy-peasy. Last night got below freezing here. Not sure how cold it got in the garage but the FJR was slow cranking. But she started.

I have had the Motobatt on a tender for the last two weeks. I have been trying to get every cent out of the current one but it's time to put the new Motobatt in. Push starting on level terrain is NOT fun and I will be doing that very soon. Too bad it's not warmer - I could keep the weak battery longer. I guess cold temps really bring out the condition a battery is in.

I too would have really liked to try the Shorai, but for the huge cost and still unknowns about cold temps and other issues, I'll let more guinea pigs be the beta testers. $69 delivered was an excellent price. I think it was more like $80 just a few months back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have to see how you guys like the motobat. My super wizbang yuasa is around 7 years old and doesn't crank like it used to. Don't have to worry about it till spring. It was 5 degrees this morning :angry:

Wow, lots of options for batteries out there now. Be interested in getting a report on this one Harald!

--G

Wow, lots of options for batteries out there now. Be interested in getting a report on this one Harald!

--G
Gorgeous George, I put a new MotoBatt in my FJR before leaving for my Mexico trip in October. Last month I put a new MotoBatt in my BMW GS, I'll report in on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was super happy with the Motobatt I had on my Intruder, definitely anxious to hear how they fare on an FJR but I'm thinking it will be a success.

This thread is all too timely. With 36 degree weather this morning in Houston, my FJR failed to crank. With the original battery in my 2006, it was about time.

For anyone else out there pushing the limits of an old battery, I advise starting your bike BEFORE taking the 10 minutes to get all the cold weather gear on.