new old fjr

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, more information about this commuter idea. I ride 20,000 miles per year just commuting to work. I ride rain or shine, hot or cold. I have one of the nastiest commutes in the Bay Area going into and out of SF on I-80 from the Vallejo Area. Maybe this bike is too big for commuting but that is what I am here to find out. I have used an '06 Suzuki GS500F and have put 45300 miles on it and didn't really ride it the first year. I am looking for a long term ride with excellent features, reliability and ease of ownership.
thanks,

d
There are several FJR owners who commute in the S.F. bay area. James Burleigh, Silent, IIRC Hycle commutes from Dixon down the 680....that's to say there is some high freeway speeds and a lot lane sharing involved. I commute in the Sacramento area and I leave my side cases in the garage and manage with my top case and tank bag. This may not be the case for you but that would depend on which freeways you ride and how polite/understanding the cage drivers are. I seem to have good fortune and they "mostly" give me room.

I only ride about 15K-18K per year, 10K of that is commuting. You'll appreciate the weather protection the FJR offers though, depending on your height, you may desire an aftermarket wind screen.

Good luck on your decision. Please post and let us know you decision, whatever it is.

I've owned two BMW's, both K bikes and I love them; However, I bought a new '07 FJR in Dec. of '07 for $8,000 less than a new K1200GT. Yes, I would like an electronic cruise on the FJR but dollar for dollar, it's no contest even with $1,000 worth of farkles. The nearest BMW dealer is 125 miles away and there are 2 1/2 Yamaha dealers within ten miles of my home.

The FJR is a great bike even if Yamaha doesn't really have their heart in it.

OBD