New Orleans and the oil spill

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patriot

Isabella is Lazarus
Reaction score
I have a standing invite to all my friends including cyber buddies to come visit the Big Easy and I'll make it worth your wild

However, I happened to go through my PM's cleaning stuff out (yes yes, it filled up...pls use email mholiver at patriotguard dot org)

and there were quite a few messages with plans to come down this way

all were canceled with the explanation of fear or possible conseqences of the oil spill

THERE ARE VERY FEW CHANGES HERE NOW THAN FROM A YEAR AGO...THE ECONOMY SUCKS, BUT THERES NO OIL COMING OUT MY FAUCETS

I CAN STILL PURCHASE AND EAT A GREAT SEAFOOD PLATTER FROM ANY EATERY AROUND AND NOT SCRAPE OIL OFF THE FOOD BEFORE CONSUMPTION

I went swimming in the Gulf from the pristine beaches from Gulfport to Biloxi.

No effects that I can see...New Orleans is 100 miles plus north of the Gulf of Mexcio. We dealt well with Hurricane Katrina...the spill is but a blip on our radar screen

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT BELIEVE 95% OF WHAT THE MEDIA REPORTS ON THIS AND MOST ISSUES...SENSATIONALISM

It's ruining the economy here which is 50% tourism...but the good news is supply and demand...it's actually cheaper with lots of deals to be made as incentive for tourists to come this summer...summer here is hot, so considered the off season...spring and fall are our busy season

So, my offer still stands, and if you were considering visiting or wish to make plans at cheaper rates overall...let me know

If you want to stay a day or two or three, and $$$ are real tight, you can stay at the Oliver Palace gratus with home cooked meals offered...restaurant meals are on your nickel, however...I can personally play tour guide to just give you advice on going out alone, or anything in between

You won't be disappointed...I will do everthing in my power to make your visit a happy one

Carry on and thanx for listening,

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
In know what you mean about the media.

Pensacola has had some tar balls on the beach, but people are still swimming. I'd seen stuff weeks ago that Dauphin Island was all but closed, and now I see stuff that it's almost unaffected.

We've actually had two pieces of equipment wash up on our beach, and the gunk that was in those tank came with them, of course. Other than that, zip, nada, zilch. Yet I keep having FB friends post to me how sorry they are to see the condition of our beaches on TV. I honestly have no clue what they're seeing, or what they're being told.

If I get some free time here in a bit I'll take you up and find a time to shoot over there. Haven't been to Nawlins in over ten years! I have a shellfish allergy (hives, itching, puking, etc.) but anything else is good.

This is not to deny the havoc caused by the spill. Lots of oil is out there in the water! Coastal Louisiana is being hit hard by the disaster, but Nawlins is not even remotely coastal.

In know what you mean about the media.
Pensacola has had some tar balls on the beach, but people are still swimming. I'd seen stuff weeks ago that Dauphin Island was all but closed, and now I see stuff that it's almost unaffected.

We've actually had two pieces of equipment wash up on our beach, and the gunk that was in those tank came with them, of course. Other than that, zip, nada, zilch. Yet I keep having FB friends post to me how sorry they are to see the condition of our beaches on TV. I honestly have no clue what they're seeing, or what they're being told.

If I get some free time here in a bit I'll take you up and find a time to shoot over there. Haven't been to Nawlins in over ten years! I have a shellfish allergy (hives, itching, puking, etc.) but anything else is good.

This is not to deny the havoc caused by the spill. Lots of oil is out there in the water! Coastal Louisiana is being hit hard by the disaster, but Nawlins is not even remotely coastal postal .
I have to disagree with that, however...

swimming fish is good around here...fresh flounder at world famous Middendorf's if my fav fish around (red snapper a close second) or their thin cut or whole catfish is the bomb.

The ride to Manchac is a favorite with twistys, bayous, Mississippi River, and plantations. Come on down Walt...

I'm joining the Goldwingers July 24-25 riding to Pensacola at the Navy Air Museum.

I can meet you there whenever you come and we'll ride the beach roads and take the Mobile Bay ferry heading for Nawlins'...world famous Lambert's in Foley, Al on the east side of Mobile Bay is a fav of mine to head for.

I guess I'm really into the Ride to Eat culture...but proud of it...

But, New Orleans is at it's best when there are many young ladies on Bourbon Street seeking the highly valued strands of cheap plastic beads. That has nothing to do with the beaches or sea food, and I'm sure the oil is not affecting the alcoholic beverages or the jazz.

But, New Orleans is at it's best when there are many young ladies on Bourbon Street seeking the highly valued strands of cheap plastic beads. That has nothing to do with the beaches or sea food, and I'm sure the oil is not affecting the alcoholic beverages or the jazz.
Yeah, yeah,...

Drunk young wimmen will show up no matter what.....

The crawdads.... They're gonna be OK?....

Please tell me....

I love those little guys.....

Seriously....

:dntknw:

Hell, that oil can't be any worse than the regular 'POOP' releases here in Kali - at Avila, Pismo, Creston... just sayin'

Oh, Patriot, that's one helluva offer dude.. :clapping:

I was just talking with a friend the other day about Nawlins... Your name came up and i said "Hey, I got a friend in Nawlins! We could meet up with him for Fat Tuesday!" :)

Pencil me in for 2011. ;)

New Orleans has been on my bucket list for years. We were booked to go in October of '05 (that was Katrina year, right?)

Ended up in Las Vegas in January

SOON!

ps - crawdads look like too much work for me. I'm more into pret-a-manger like the beignets :rolleyes: Can you get me to the Cafe du Monde?

220px-BeignetsPowderdSugarCDM.jpg

New Orleans has been on my bucket list for years. We were booked to go in October of '05 (that was Katrina year, right?)

SOON!

ps - crawdads look like too much work for me. I'm more into pret-a-manger like the beignets :rolleyes: Can you get me to the Cafe du Monde?

sure...that would be great for diabetic me :rolleyes:

but but but...crawfish eating one a second is no rocket science

with an effective pouty mouth and some personal private instruction from moi, all in the name of international relations,

you too can squeeze the tail out and grab it with your front teeth and pull, popping the good stuff right onto your pallet

if I can do it at 3 yrs old, so can you today at 22... :yahoo:

boiled crawfish or jumbo shrimp :blink: are easy peasy

raw oysters are a taste I like...but I introduce many to the grilled oysters with butter, cheese, and spices drizzled on them as they cook

bbq shrimp boiled in spicy red sauce are also great

google is your friend

it's picking boiled crabs that is work to me...I'd almost rather purchase a pound of steamed meat in a carton and them do my own thing with it

SOON!

My step-daughter (grew up in Louisiana) lived in Oakland, CA and I visited with the wife (long-time Louisiana resident) and kids last Thanksgiving. There was a great little cafe by a train station that had beautiful beignets. They were great by the dozen. If you are interested, I'll research the location for you.

My step-daughter (grew up in Louisiana) lived in Oakland, CA and I visited with the wife (long-time Louisiana resident) and kids last Thanksgiving. There was a great little cafe by a train station that had beautiful beignets. They were great by the dozen. If you are interested, I'll research the location for you.
Thanks SPU! I'll put it in my Travel Folder :)

I can ship official Nawlins' beignets' mix with instructions...guess a recipe is on the internet with from scratch ingredients

funny, I eat them but can't spell the name unless I copy/paste from somewhere

there's 4 different eaterys here to get them (open 24/7 )...each a little diff...our coffee, 'bout 10 diff kinds...PJ's and Starbucks sucketh...

after any evening activity is a good time to go...there are folks in tshirts and shorts along side the couples in tuxedos

I spent about two years in Hammond and am getting very jealous of all this New Orleans food talk. Crawfish etoufee, gumbo, jambalaya, beignets...I've even been to Middendorfs in Pass Manchac! Then there are all the different festivals. My first Mardi Gras parade, my friend was telling me how people fight over these otherwise worthless plastic trinkets and cups they throw from the floats and I scoffed. By the end of the parade I found myself wrestling with someone for a plastic cup with the parade krewe's name on it! Then there are all the plantation homes, the history of the city itself...MUST go back...