new penske rear shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vermonta

Reaction score
I bought a penske 8983 rear shock from GPSuspension and installed it the other day. The overall job was really simple. The one I bought has a remote resevoir and it was a bit of a squeeze getting the hose and resevoir up through the frame but that was really the toughest part. Took me a few tries to get the bracket in the right position and one call to the suspension guys who by the way were right there when I needed them and then I was home free. Didn't get much of a chance to ride it the first day but now that I have a little time on it what a difference it made. Well worth the money for sure. Now I'll save my pennies and fix the front end. :yahoo:

Good to hear. I replaced my springs on both ends with stiffer Hyperpro springs and it made a huge difference. I can imagine it's even better with new valving.

I still can't believe how badly Yamaha failed with the suspension on this bike compared to how top notch everything else is.

Just Curious how many miles did you have on your bike before you replaced the stock shock?
FJR1300: 38k - new Ohlins has 21k now

VFR800: 43k - new Penske has 78k now, still going

SV650: 21k - less than 200 on new Ohlins so far.

Just Curious how many miles did you have on your bike before you replaced the stock shock?
Killed 3 OEM shocks before I went Penske on my '05. First died at about 6K (warranty), second at about 30K, 3rd at about 53K. In riding gear, I weigh a bit over 250#. From what I've read, if you weigh more than about 225, expect 20 - 25K out of the OEM shock.

Killed 3 OEM shocks before I went Penske on my '05. First died at about 6K (warranty), second at about 30K, 3rd at about 53K. In riding gear, I weigh a bit over 250#. From what I've read, if you weigh more than about 225, expect 20 - 25K out of the OEM shock.
Great, My Fat but will only get 15K using this math.

Just had a Penske 8983 installed in my o5 after 36,000 miles of two up.

I should have done this a few years ago! what a difference, the bike is once

again a thrill to ride ...

Just had a Penske 8983 installed in my o5 after 36,000 miles of two up.I should have done this a few years ago! what a difference, the bike is once

Any work done to the front end? Or is it still stock?

Who has installed a Penske and had the front end re-worked by GP Suspension in Oregon? Good experience? Recommendations?

Just had a Penske 8983 installed in my o5 after 36,000 miles of two up.I should have done this a few years ago! what a difference, the bike is once

Any work done to the front end? Or is it still stock?

Who has installed a Penske and had the front end re-worked by GP Suspension in Oregon? Good experience? Recommendations?

I just returned yesterday from GP. I had both the front and rear (Ohlins), installed. Great couple of guys! They even walked me thru the entire rebuild proces explaining the differences b/t stock and GP parts. Major improvement in how the bike stays planted during twisties/high speed slab rides. Well worth the money. My suspension was set up originally using the firm settings HaulinAshe has recommended. His sittings were a big improvment over factory settings and the GP front Penske/Ohlins rear kicks it all up a notch. Would do it again in a heart beat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had Penske 8983 and whole new front done a couple years ago. Very good experience w/ GPSuspension.

I was really freaked about spending that kind of money on a bike I thought was already on rails, but made a HUGE improvement in handling and road feel.

"Any work done to the front end? Or is it still stock?"

Replaced front springs, GP suspension is where i purchased the shock and springs.

very professional and helpful, running pr2 tires as well, the bike feels so much better

in every aspect of handling, the wife even noticed a huge difference......... :clapping:

I have 35k on the bike and I stand on it pretty regular,buy standing I mean I have a pretty heavy throttle hand and I've never been able to get over the wheelie thrill since my days in the dirt. I did not take the old shock and sping apart yet to see just how bad it was but I can feel a hugh difference in the the new one from the old one. I haven't done anything to the front end yet except for the haulinash setup. That will be my next big expense. The Penske set me back $851. complete. It's quite a few beads and a few beaver skins but well worth it IMHO. :clapping: :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator: