New PNW FJR Owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowAndSilent

Reaction score
Just wanted to stop by and say hello. I'll be picking up a new to me 08 FJR AE next week and bringing it back to the PNW. Will not be taking my preferred route back (wanted to see some NF and NP's on the way back), but I have time constraints. I need to get to Portland in time to meet up with a friend so we finish off all of the Oregon spots in the Sound Rider Cafe to Cafe tour. In three days.

Should be a fun ride, and I cannot wait to see how the FJR handles in eating up the miles. :yahoo:

Little bit of background: I'm moving up from an 09 Suzuki DL650 ABS, which was my first motorcycle. Covered 19,500 (only around 200-300 off-tarmac) miles in around 19 months. I've probably put another 2,000 on my wife's Ninja 650R after selling the Strom. Still working the 9-5 and completing courses for my Masters, so I don't have a whole lot of riding time, but try to get it in when I can.

Getting the FJR will be my farthest ride so far (3500+ miles), compared to a few 500 mile day trips I've done and a 900-mile weekend ride I did back in June. So, I'm also a lil crazy. :blink:

I hope you meet, ride with, and learn from all of you in the future.

-Adam

Welcome from the east side foothills. This is the section to keep an eye on for rides and meets and general goings-on. Good luck picking up your new ride and have fun on the trip!

--G

Adam,

Are you saying that you are going to ride 3,500 miles while picking up your new bike and doing the cafe to cafe ride with a friend and do all this in 3 days? Just asking. :wacko:

Adam,Are you saying that you are going to ride 3,500 miles while picking up your new bike and doing the cafe to cafe ride with a friend and do all this in 3 days? Just asking. :wacko:
Sorry...should have clarified. I am flying out Friday night, picking up the bike Saturday morning, and arriving in Portland on Thursday. I'll have Friday - Sunday to loop Orygun and get back to Seattle.

Welcome. We'll be having a PNW tech meet in Octorber sometime. I'll get the info out in the next few weeks.

Enjoy the ride home!

Welcome from Northwet Portland!

You're in a great group of PNW owners here, and try to make it to Bryan and Melissa's above mentioned tech meet, it's great to meet everybody and see what other folks do with their Feejers.

Sounds like you'll have lot's of fun right of the bat with your trip. Enjoy!

Welcome from south of Seattle in Bonney Lake.

I'm sure you'll love the FJR. Just make sure they don't pull one over on you and try to sell you a bike without a clutch lever. I've heard that some guys have been stiffed like that. :rolleyes:

Welcome from south of Seattle in Bonney Lake.I'm sure you'll love the FJR. Just make sure they don't pull one over on you and try to sell you a bike without a clutch lever. I've heard that some guys have been stiffed like that. :rolleyes:
Ha! Unless he also has a forged Title, I don't think it's an issue. Picked up my new plate and registered the bike. All I have to do now is pack and hop on the plane.

Welcome. We'll be having a PNW tech meet in Octorber sometime. I'll get the info out in the next few weeks.
Enjoy the ride home!
Welcome to the fold, Adam! Great choice of bike. :)

Try to keep time open for this event AuburnFJR noted above. It's one of a couple of yearly "highlight, must-attend" events in the PNW. We get folks from all over attending. The last one at Auburn's place saw around 20 FJRs show up!

Hope the riding sees you safely back to the area with great stories and pics to share. :)

duane from kirkland

Well, I'm officially an FJR owner as of Saturday. I've all ready put 2066 miles on her since, and will have a few more by the time I get home.

I'm in Montpelier, ID tonight and will be back in Oregon tomorrow. The FJR will be in need of an oil change at that point. Does anyone know of a good place in the Portland area to pick up an oil filter (OEM is fine)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm officially an FJR owner as of Saturday. I've all ready put 2066 miles on her since, and will have a few more by the time I get home.
I'm in Montpelier, ID tonight and will be back in Oregon tomorrow. The FJR will be in need of an oil change at that point. Does anyone know of a good place in the Portland area to pick up an oil filter (OEM is fine)?
You're not wasting any time getting miles on that new bike, are you?!! :yahoo:

My suggestion for oil filter is to stop at the closest Walmart and pick up a ST7317 oil filter and a bottle of Rotella 15w40 oil. You could even buy a cheap drain pan or turkey cooking pan and do the oil change in the parking lot. :unsure:

You're not wasting any time getting miles on that new bike, are you?!! :yahoo:

My suggestion for oil filter is to stop at the closest Walmart and pick up a ST7317 oil filter and a bottle of Rotella 15w40 oil. You could even buy a cheap drain pan or turkey cooking pan and do the oil change in the parking lot. :unsure:
Thanks! I'll take a look at that tomorrow.

I was only planning to go as far as La Grande, but the FJR would have none of it and ended up taking me all the way to Portland, OR today. Roughly 800 miles with detours, in 13 hours. Long, long day.

Enjoy the ride home!
Welcome to the fold, Adam! Great choice of bike. :)

Try to keep time open for this event AuburnFJR noted above. It's one of a couple of yearly "highlight, must-attend" events in the PNW. We get folks from all over attending. The last one at Auburn's place saw around 20 FJRs show up!

Hope the riding sees you safely back to the area with great stories and pics to share. :)

duane from kirkland
Duane, thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to look for that event when it comes up.

Hey L&S, welcome to the group. Best bunch of people you will ever meet are on this forum. Swing by tech day and join up on one of the rides.

Hey L&S check out the WCR, in 3 weeks were going to Vancouver Island Aug 9-12 some of us are leaving on the 8th. It would be great if you can make it.