New Rich's custom seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
I did a ride in appointment at Rich's today. Great experience and very nice seat. I went with leather and had the back recovered as well.

My main goal with the new seat was to take the pressure of my tailbone (have had tailbone issues for about four years now). Secondary to this - I wanted a flatter seat and one that supports more rumpage.

I arrive at Rich's at 8:30 sharp and the garage doors opened up and I rode right in. Rich came over and greeted me and I knew it was going to be an interesting day (in good way :D ). They got right to work.

The morning was spent getting the new shape dialed in (strip old seat, take measurements, add new foam, shave and shape, grind, do a test ride and repeat). The afternoon was devoted to upholstery. I made it out the door by 4 and was the last one to board the ferry to Edmonds. I was home by 5:30. Long day - but worth it.

The seat on the ride home felt good. Rich shaved a depression in the back of the seat to take pressure off the tailbone - this definitely worked. The leather was cool to ride on; I noticed that immediately :yahoo: .

Rich is a character. There were three other bikes being worked on at the time (2010 BMW GSA, 2008 C14, 2009 Harley). Rich was bantering with us all the time.

Rich's new facility in Kingston, WA is top notch. There are two bedrooms and a shared living space and kitchen for folks who want to ride in and may come from a distance. There is camping on the site with showers and bathrooms. It is a very nice facility.

All in all, I give the seat and experience a 10 our of 10.

Of course I need to put some miles on the seat and report back. But so far I am quite happy. :yahoo:

IMG00048-20110510-1252-M.jpg

IMG00049-20110510-1252-M.jpg

IMG3087-M.jpg

IMG3088-M.jpg

IMG3089-M.jpg

IMG3090-M.jpg

IMG3091-M.jpg

Thanks for the report and nice looking seat! We're pretty fortunate up here to have someone as close as Rich is. One of these days... ;)

--G

Looks great!

And his guarantee is good. I took mine back a year later because I had a hot spot. The first thing Rich ask was how many miles had I put on since the seat was completed. I guess he has some folks come back with 150 miles on and want to change the seat. Not enough miles for a break-in. I had put 23,000 on the bike that years so he was good to go on changing it. Rich redid it, I took a test ride, he changed it a little more, another test ride and it was great. No charge!

Looks great!

And his guarantee is good. I took mine back a year later because I had a hot spot. The first thing Rich ask was how many miles had I put on since the seat was completed. I guess he has some folks come back with 150 miles on and want to change the seat. Not enough miles for a break-in. I had put 23,000 on the bike that years so he was good to go on changing it. Rich redid it, I took a test ride, he changed it a little more, another test ride and it was great. No charge!
Yeah but you pay enough up front to be able to get the lifetime go backs.