New Ride Jan 7th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzkenoman

Reaction score
Ok guys,

Last min post for this sat, still getting details about meeting places.

How about this weekend for a ride? From Orange Count, Chevron in San Juan Capistrano, Ortega & 5, up 74 Ortega hwy to 15 south to San diego. 8 east to 94 to campo, then a short ride east on 8 to El Centro, North on 86 to brawley. 78 west to Hwy 15 and home? How about a Saturday ride? We can leave here about 8:00am, be in san diego about 9:00-9:15???, I just don't know what place off the 15 & 8 we can meet SoCalMike. Anyone have any input? Its going to be a hot one, so bring alot of water guys!

Ok guys, Last min post for this sat, still getting details about meeting places. 

How about this weekend for a ride? From Orange Count, Chevron in San Juan Capistrano, Ortega & 5, up 74 Ortega hwy to 15 south to San diego. 8 east to 94 to campo, then a short ride east on 8 to El Centro, North on 86 to brawley.  78 west to Hwy 15 and home? How about a Saturday ride?  We can leave here about 8:00am, be in san diego about 9:00-9:15???, I just don't know what place off the 15 & 8 we can meet SoCalMike.  Anyone have any input?  Its going to be a hot one, so bring alot of water guys!
ZZ, as we discussed a moment ago, let's plan to meet Saturday at 0915 - 0930.

The meeting point is the following: since Chevron gas stations seem to be a popular meeting point, I would suggest the following:

Corner of OLYMPIC PKWY AND EASTLAKE PKWY

This Chevron is located in a Walmart parking lot on the NORTH WEST corner of where these streets intersect.

To get there you will take the 805 Fwy South to ORANGE / OLYMPIC PKWY exit and take a left (EAST). You'll travel ~4 miles and you'll eventually see the Walmart ahead on your LEFT (can't miss it). Enter into the Walmart and the Chevron will be on your right.

I'll post a detailed map of the route we discussed if anyone else is interested. An overview of the route is to continue East from the Chevron out past Lake Otay, to 94W (for about .1 mile), Honey Springs (East), to Japatul, 8Fwy East (10 miles), Imperial Hwy (through the Anza Borrego Desert), up Banner Grade, eat pie in Julian, and take 78 East to 15 Fwy. Again, I'll do a more detailed map if anyone else is interested in joing in.

- Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
New Ride details soon. Still meeting at the Chevron east side, kickstands up at 8am Saturday. Hwy 5 down to San Diego to 805 south, exit at Olympic Parkway. Go west 4 miles to the corner of East Lake Parkway and Olympic parkway. We will meet SoCalMike and gang around 915:930am. We will follow him on 94 through lake Otay to Brawley. North west to Julian. then Julian to hwy 78 where we will part ways at the 15 or 5. Should be a nice day in the 70's, cooler in the mountains. SoCalMike will post detailed instructions. Hope you guys can join, it will be a all day ride!

Sunday might be better for me. But tomorrow is a little tough.
thanks for letting us know, we will be doing alot of riding this year anyways, and there are alot of routes with groups on sunday also for example.

Chaperial motors in san bernadino are riding to calico ghost town this sunday with the chaperial riders. they are leaving about 8:30 from chaperial motors. they have a deal for 5 dollars you get into the town,the train ride around the town, and enterance to the mine tour.

South Orange county cruisers are meeting at 8am sunday morning at the corner of Margarite & Avery in Laguna Nigel at Boosters for a Ride out to Hernandez Hideaway

many guys are going to the invitational bike show at Fairplex, 1101 W McKinley Ave -- Featuring Easyriders V-Twin Centerfold Master Builders. Plus-live music, roadware fashion show with the Purrfect Angelz, vendors, food and drink available. For more information call or visit the web site (link below).

Email [email protected]

Website www.easyridersevents.com

I will be riding sunday morning on a short ride till noon to possibly toms farm, temecula? Still working on that plan with another rider who lives in anaheim hills.

Rideoc.com guys (downtick) are posting a julian ride for a later take off time of 10:30am on Saturday also. Heres the post off the web site.

[For those interested in going on a longer ride, we are going to take the 5 south to the 76, toward Julian, to the 79 north, and then back across R3 (county road).

The total should be around 225 miles. We are leaving from Irvine near the 405 and University around 10:30AM.

I've been on most of this before and it's really nice, with some good twists. Of course, we'll also stop for lunch and dinner.]

Anyone interested feel free to post and I'll give the details.

I'll be riding my FJR1300 and my other buddy is taking his R1100. I'm guessing a sport bike won't be too comfortable, but it's doable.

Wow, I just read this and it sounds good. I might meet you guys in Chula Vista at 0915 for this. If I'm going I'll be there early so don't wait for me if I'm not.

Wow, I just read this and it sounds good. I might meet you guys in Chula Vista at 0915 for this. If I'm going I'll be there early so don't wait for me if I'm not.
Sounds good Getsum. Hopefully we'll see you. We'll leave promptly at 0930.

Sorry you couldn't make it bigdolma but I'm sure we'll all hook up on some later rides.

- Mike

Heres some photos of the trip today, and Thanks Guys for a great ride. Oh, Mike, I'm glad they trusted you at the restaurant, I wasn't sure if they only accepted cash!..lol

DSCN1572.jpg

SoCalMike, GetSum and (I forgot his forum name)

DSCN1573.jpg

Found a small realestate to park our bikes in Julian

DSCN1574.jpg

ditto, but smiling now, cause we just ate

DSCN1575.jpg

Downtown Julian, California

DSCN1576.jpg

Julian, California

IMG_0015.jpg

San diego group, lead by a FJR (met him, but didnt get his name)

IMG_0017.jpg

imperial hwy/ hwy8 gas up

Heres some photos of the trip today, and Thanks Guys for a great ride.  Oh, Mike, I'm glad they trusted you at the restaurant, I wasn't sure if they only accepted cash!..lol
DSCN1572.jpg

SoCalMike, GetSum and (I forgot his forum name)
That would be Bubba, but you can call me Brian. LOL Thanks for the invite, I had a great time today. Thanks to SoCalMike for lunch! (as you can see from my pic, meals are important :D )

Great ride guys! I can't believe how many FJR's I saw out on the roads today. Not including those in our group, I counted at least another 6 or 7 blue ones and maybe 1 silver. Other than those strong side winds we experienced getting out to the desert, it was a great day for riding that's for sure.

I think I'm going to have to avoid taking that looong straight-away through Anza Borrego for a while. For some reason my bike (like Getsums) ended up taking off on that high-speed run all by itself (I'm going to have to have a mechanic look into that!).

It was a nice, relaxing 225 mile ride (round trip from my house). I'm looking forward to the next ride!

ZZ, I was ready to do the dishes at the restaurant if I had to.

FizzyPower, Getsum, it was good to meet you both and I'm sure we'll be meeting up again on other rides.

- Mike :D

Aw.. sorry I missed this post. Haven't been on the computer as much lately. I'll start checking in on Wednesdays to see what's cookin'.

The Calico ride sounds interesting tomorrow but don't think I can drag my 11yr old out of bed that early.

After yesterday's ride, I am still laughing about Neiman Marcus!  So Mike are you going to post your photos?
Here are the few that I got. I kinda wish we'd have stopped out in the middle of no-where so we could have posted to the "best pics of the year" album. Some of that scenery would have fit right in.

IMGP1124.jpg

IMGP1125.jpg

IMGP1126.jpg

IMGP1128.jpg

IMGP1129.jpg

Mike, did you get that FJR guy who lead the harley pack? I wonder who the other FJR riders were in the area of Julian? We must of passed about a dozen blue & silver bikes!

I had a great time! It was nice hooking up and meeting some local So Cal riders. Thanks again for lunch Mike. That Imperial Hwy is just a great road and it sure was fun opening up on it. Man, look at the weather in those pics! Not bad at all for January.

Here's my cell phone pic from the Japatul Valley Rd/79 carpool lot.

010706Japatul.jpg

Agreed, it's always nice to meet local riders with common interests...

By the way, thanks for the tip Brian. TECHMOUNTS can expect to see an order from me real soon...