New Ride Jan 7th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, it's always nice to meet local riders with common interests...

By the way, thanks for the tip Brian. TECHMOUNTS can expect to see an order from me real soon...
After seeing your tank/gadget bag this weekend, I ordered the chatterbox. LOL

I think this is what he was using:
https://www.tomtom.com/products/accessory.p...xt=1&Language=4

I'm going to try to get that receiver and upgrade to this phone and should be gtg:

https://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphone...o700w/specs.epl
How long does the battery last on that? Can't see any such details on the link.

Or do you wire in the car charger?

Does this work from inside the little glove compartment?

The PDA phone looks sweet, but what about water proofing? (sandwich baggy condom?), and the screen might be a bit small, though I guess I shouldn't be looking at it while moving anyway :cownoy:

I presume the TomTom Navigator software loaded onto the PDA phone does the voice directions thingy?

Aha, found that bit

Multilingual: Voice instructions spoken in more than 30 languages, in both male and female voices. User interface now includes 18 languages
So, the GPS receiver bluetooths your location to the PDA, which does the usual cals (displays map, speed etc), and bluetooths to a earpiece the driving directions?

Really interested. Been looking at a TomTom Rider, but it's rather pricey :bigeyes:

mike will you do us a favor and post a photo of that bluetooth module that you carried with you. Explain to some of the guys here how it operates with your chatterbox please. You might as well take one of your powerlet location too.

mike will you do us a favor and post a photo of that bluetooth module that you carried with you.  Explain to some of the guys here how it operates with your chatterbox please.  You might as well take one of your powerlet location too.
ZZ, here's the post that I need to update about the GPS option:

GPS for your PDA.

I'm in Vegas at the moment so I'll try to take some pics next week. I'm also waiting for my Techmounts to arrive because the tank bag mounting doesn't allow me to see the unit very well. It needs to be angled a bit more towards me. I can hear the turn-by-turn directions clearly by connecting a 2.5mm male-to-male cable from my PDA stereo plug to the Aux input on my Chatterbox. Additionally, I can talk on the phone and listen to MP3s all through this connection.

Here's the specific GPS unit that I showed you the other day. The signal reception has been excellent - even inside my house I'm able to pick up some satellites! I just leave the unit inside my tank bag and I've never had a problem receiving multiple satellites while traveling.

I'll try to post up some pics in the tech section soon.

Still one of the best options so far hasn't been any of the gadgets; it's the FZ1 mirrors...

- Mike

mike will you do us a favor and post a photo of that bluetooth module that you carried with you.  Explain to some of the guys here how it operates with your chatterbox please.  You might as well take one of your powerlet location too.
ZZ, here's the post that I need to update about the GPS option:

GPS for your PDA.

I'm in Vegas at the moment so I'll try to take some pics next week. I'm also waiting for my Techmounts to arrive because the tank bag mounting doesn't allow me to see the unit very well. It needs to be angled a bit more towards me. I can hear the turn-by-turn directions clearly by connecting a 2.5mm male-to-male cable from my PDA stereo plug to the Aux input on my Chatterbox. Additionally, I can talk on the phone and listen to MP3s all through this connection.

Here's the specific GPS unit that I showed you the other day. The signal reception has been excellent - even inside my house I'm able to pick up some satellites! I just leave the unit inside my tank bag and I've never had a problem receiving multiple satellites while traveling.

I'll try to post up some pics in the tech section soon.

Still one of the best options so far hasn't been any of the gadgets; it's the FZ1 mirrors...

- Mike
Too bad the FZ mirrors suck on the FZ. :angry: There is a mod out there that I have just been too lazy to do. You have to pop the rivet connection between the base and mirror arm, replace the rivet with a bolt and nut, then reinstall the mirror to the opposite side. It brings the stock mirrors down far enough to actually see behind you. It might work for the FJR too...dunno

Here's the thread with pics.

https://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33265

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you didnt like all the extra mirrors on my bike right? lol
Nahhh, the extra mirrors looked pretty good. In fact, I bet when another car is driving behind you they get the "disco ball" effect from all those reflections.

Fizzypower, that mod doesn't look like it's too tough to do. you should definitely give it a try. All I can tell you is that the mirror-mods make a huge diffference.