New Rifle is on...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slade

Reaction score
As noted the new Rifle +5, +4 is on and took my first commute ride into work today. 45 miles, gravel, rural roads, interstate.

As most have stated, it's a new bike. At the lowest setting I still get plenty of air but it seems much smoother. At the highest it's just below my eye line and dead quiet...even at supra highway speeds. Buffeting in traffic is almost eliminated and there were some pretty good cross winds that were handled well. I'm not feeling any increase in back pressure...I agree with someone here that said they think the back pressure feeling is just not having the wind hold you up. Very calm compartment to ride in. One surprise is that I used to pretty much use "all up" or "all down" settings. With this shield I can see using much more of the available adjustment...in between settings were good for fast, heavy traffic. All up for fast open road. Down for in town, gravel, and city driving. Fun.

Now for the question.....How long does it take to not feel like I'm riding in the PopeMobile? :D That's a lot of clear plastic out in front with the shield all the way up. Will definitely keep the shield as my long commute rides and big trip this year will be substantially improved.

Bottom line, if you're looking for some clean, quiet air...this is the shield.

I've been using mine for a few weeks now . . . and after two years of the stock and OEM touring windshields not getting dinged at all, already have a chip in the Rifle. On well, better there than my neck.

The difference in comfort and noise is, to me, well-worth the Pope mobile aspect. It's a big shield, yes . . . but on a pretty nice bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the smaller Rifle, 22 wide by 21 tall, and I thought it looked big at first. I'm guessing mine would look pretty small next yours.

It sure is nice having a quiet ride though, isn't it? :D

I got the smaller Rifle, 22 wide by 21 tall, and I thought it looked big at first. I'm guessing mine would look pretty small next yours.
It sure is nice having a quiet ride though, isn't it? :D
So does size matter (with the Rifle)? Is there much of a difference between Slade's and Lionswings? Any of you seasoned wind sheild experts have an opinion?

LOL I am starting to get used to it...and Yes, the quiet is well worth it. We'll be on the road 18 days to Alaska this summer so I'm sure the quiet and protection will more than make up for the "look."

I had the same adjustment period when I put a Tulsa on my Valkyrie Interstate. Advantage here is that it's adjustable. I'm finding that I'm really liking the low/middle positions with just some noise but still good visibility. Full up is great at full speed on the interstate out of traffic.

I'm sure part of my problem is that I really like this bike...alot...and I liked the "out there", almost sport bike feeling of the shield all down but hated the deafening noise. I can't imagine a better solution for meeting all the requirements short of a force field.

Part of what makes the FJR such a great bike is that it manages the compromises of an "everything in one" bike so well....the Rifle is trying to do the same thing...impossible to meet every need perfectly without some hitch somewhere....and this "hitch" just requires me to get used to the new look.

As for size comparisons.....best I stay out of this one....no need to show off and all......;-).

As for size comparisons.....best I stay out of this one....no need to show off and all......;-).

Yeah, looks like you have a pretty big gun in your avitar. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
So does size matter (with the Rifle)? Is there much of a difference between Slade's and Lionswings? Any of you seasoned wind sheild experts have an opinion?

Gen I and Gen II bikes. Windshield brackets are different enough to render comparisons moot.

For my Gen I, I hated the Rifle touring, liked the CeeBailey +4,+4, and LOVE my Rifle jumbo for winter - but definitely a popemobile look. Run the stock shield with Rifle tuning block in the summer.

Gen I and Gen II bikes. Windshield brackets are different enough to render comparisons moot.

For my Gen I, I hated the Rifle touring, liked the CeeBailey +4,+4, and LOVE my Rifle jumbo for winter - but definitely a popemobile look. Run the stock shield with Rifle tuning block in the summer.
Thanks 'RsvlFeej', the tuning block looks like a good start for me.

Well to answer my own question...about 2 weeks. Loving the Rifle shield and now it seems completely normal. Road a long stretch on the highway the other day with the Throttlemeister set, iTunes running, and the shield 3/4 up. Very comfy and not feeling at all "Pope like" anymore.

Well to answer my own question...about 2 weeks. Loving the Rifle shield and now it seems completely normal. Road a long stretch on the highway the other day with the Throttlemeister set, iTunes running, and the shield 3/4 up. Very comfy and not feeling at all "Pope like" anymore.
You are doing exactly what I have done for over two years now.I am thinking of finding some wings that I can add somehow to my mirrors for good deflection for winter riding.As for my tunes I have a smart phone and use one of these https://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/a.../overview/mw600. Pricey but really cool

You are doing exactly what I have done for over two years now.I am thinking of finding some wings that I can add somehow to my mirrors for good deflection for winter riding.As for my tunes I have a smart phone and use one of these https://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/a.../overview/mw600. Pricey but really cool
Very cool...thanks for the link. Will have to take a close look at that.

Thanks 'RsvlFeej', the tuning block looks like a good start for me.
Installed the tunning block today. It does make a difference with turbulence/noise. For the better. Being at a lower angle I had more bugs on my face sheild but I could here the tunes better. I will probable go the pope mo shield in the fall.