New seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very curious to hear your feedback. The Russel is just too much for me but I want something more comfortable than the stock for myself and my wife.
Too much comfort or too much moolah?

I really enjoy the Sargent on my gen 1, being vert challenged , it is about the same height as stock.

And comfortable enough to ride out a tank in comfort.

Very curious to hear your feedback. The Russel is just too much for me but I want something more comfortable than the stock for myself and my wife.
Too much comfort or too much moolah?
Too much size. I'm not a big fan of the looks even though I know it's super comfortable. And after all, the reason I upgraded to the '13 was because it had a pretty face.
smile.png

I really enjoy the Sargent on my gen 1, being vert challenged , it is about the same height as stock. And comfortable enough to ride out a tank in comfort.
As long as it's the same height and not lower I'll be happy. I actually have my current seat in the up position.

In the end I'll looking for a stylish seat that gives me more comfort than stock but doesn't detract from the bike's good looks. I know it's shallow but that's the way I roll! _ _ _ _ _ _ ((
bike.gif

My Russell looks like comfort.

Ride out one tank? Jeeze, I want to be able to ride out a dozen tanks and still be comfortable.

I don't want ass pain to ever hold me back. (And before you ask, yes I am married!)

Most people that don't like the way the Russell (or Bill Mayer) seat looks have never ridden on one.

But, I suppose that we all have different goals, and each is valid for our own personal situations.

I quit wanting to "look cool" many years ago. If you've seen my picture, I pretty sure that it's workin'
tonguesmiley.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran the Sargent Atomic Foam on my Ducati - easily ran 400, 500 mile days with no butt pain; shoulders and hands were another story. Good looking seat, firm and comfortable.

Ran the Day-Long on the ST1100, good for as long as I could ride (27 hours, 1700 miles). Far taller than stock - over an inch higher.

I have a Rich's Custom seat, he's local and makes great seats, I also have a RDL I got used and had Rich's modify to have my smuggler fit around it. I got over the looks of the RDL after I rode it for a while and the fact is 500 miles into a trip I don't care what the RDL looks like because the smile on my face is priceless.
punk.gif

I have a Rich's Custom seat, he's local and makes great seats, I also have a RDL I got used and had Rich's modify to have my smuggler fit around it. I got over the looks of the RDL after I rode it for a while and the fact is 500 miles into a trip I don't care what the RDL looks like because the smile on my face is priceless.
punk.gif
Since you have both seats I gotta ask: RDL or Rich's for day long comfort? The Corbin Canyon close is OK but is lower than stock, I need a little higher than stock.

OP, very interested in your feedback RE: Sargent seat.

When you get your Sargent seat can you set it and the stock one on the floor right next to each other and take a picture looking straight down on them? I'd like to see the width and contour differences look like.

Thanks

punk.gif
Since you have both seats I gotta ask: RDL or Rich's for day long comfort? The Corbin Canyon close is OK but is lower than stock, I need a little higher than stock.

OP, very interested in your feedback RE: Sargent seat.
I use the RDL for long multi day trips, and the Rich's for daily riding because I have better foot reach in stop and go traffic. the Rich's will be fine for longer trips also but may not be as comfortable after several long days of riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you get your Sargent seat can you set it and the stock one on the floor right next to each other and take a picture looking straight down on them? I'd like to see the width and contour differences look like.
Thanks
Yes I will...

My Russell looks like comfort.
Ride out one tank? Jeeze, I want to be able to ride out a dozen tanks and still be comfortable.

I don't want ass pain to ever hold me back. (And before you ask, yes I am married!)

Most people that don't like the way the Russell (or Bill Mayer) seat looks have never ridden on one.

But, I suppose that we all have different goals, and each is valid for our own personal situations.

I quit wanting to "look cool" many years ago. If you've seen my picture, I pretty sure that it's workin'
tonguesmiley.gif
I wasn't initially impressed with the look of the Russell and its wings. Somewhere during the 2 hours home with my first real case of ass burn the Russell began to grow on me.

Now that I have one, It's the most beautiful seat ever made!

I've been riding for 45 years...more Corbin's and Sergents than I can count. Both have been better than stock but a few thousand miles into a trip they both hurt. I just got a Russell...not done many miles on it yet but so far feels good. I'm not a fan of how they look but I can't see it while I'm sitting on it. I have a 7-8000 mile trip in July so ill report back after that.

Many of you are hardcore long distance riders and I can certainly see the Russell being the right seat for you. I hate to admit it but my rides on the FJR are typically with my wife and she's got a 300 a mile day limit. And not too many of those in a row either. So the Sargent seat seems like a nice compromise between style and comfort that'll fit my personal needs.