• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

New Smartire TPMS System

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As someone living in the Celsius world north of so many loyal FJR brethren, I was hoping to see more info here on the vendor's page: https://www.smartire.com/motorcycles

Alas, this is what is now offered for motorcycles instead:

SmarTire for MotorcyclesSmarTire products are no longer available in the motorcycle market and the company has ceased support for this product category.

Parts may be available at your local dealer, however, we retain no inventory to support service parts.

Too bad, though I'm a bit of a cheap bugger, so there's a possibility I may not have actually bought the product anyway.

Sorry I had issues posting yesterday, the price is $90 shipped in the lower 48 states. I was trying to add some pictures but had no luck, if you would like pictures send me an email at [email protected].

These are the best aftermarket TPMS out there, too bad they decided to focus on the commercial tire market. These monitor the pressure and temperture in the tire and calculate the correct pressure for the temp your tire is at. So it will display the tire pressure and tempature and where the pressure is from where it should be from where you set the cold pressures. example 35psi 45C -2 psi.

So you can add air with the tire at any temp, in this case I would add 2 psi from the current tire pressure.

It will intially display the tire information when you hit 6mph, then at anytime you can hit the button and see the tire info. If it see's a loss in pressure the light flashes on the display.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
SmarTire for Motorcycles receives tire pressure and temperature data from sensors installed inside the tires. The sensors transmit air pressure and temperature information while the the bike is motion. If tire pressure drops below the preset threshold, or if tire temperature rises beyond a threshold, the alert light is triggered on the display, giving the rider advance notice of a tire problem.

If the tire pressure inside the tire deviates 15% from normal, the ultra bright warning light will flash, alerting the rider to the condition. This flashing alert light will continue until the tire condition is retified. (i.e. the tire has been inflated to its proper cold inflation pressure.)

The display will also show the affected tire and the amount of pressure loss. This pressure deviation alert takes into account the affect of temperature on the internal tire pressure (temperature compensated pressure) thus enabling the system to warn the rider even sooner of a tire problem.

If the tire continues too loose air and the tire pressure drops 25% from normal, the Low Pressure Alert is triggered, and the alert light stops flashing and remains constantly illuminated. The affected tire along with its pressure is displayed on the receiver. This Low Pressure Alert will continue until air is added to the affected tire.

SmarTire for Motorcylces also warns the rider if the temperature of a tire becomes critically high. If the tire temperature exceeds 176F (80C), the warning light will flash with the affected tire and temperature displayed.

Shameless plug for Jeff and SmarTire (and actually against my own interest).

I've been running the SmarTire system on my FJRs for the past 13 years, and I agree with Jeff. IMHO, this is by far the most sophisticated TMPS ever for this application. With the sensors mounted internally, it has no security issues, retains the tire valve's redundancy for air retention, and more importantly, senses the actual air temperature within the tire. The temperature-compensated pressure reading on the road is a no brainer (no math, no fuss), and the constant monitoring enhances safety and peace of mind. The electronics are very reliable, and the sensors are long lived.

The only failure of the TPMS system I ever experienced was due to the sensor band clamp eventually failing after being over torque'd by the dealer's installer. And that failure still left all the air in my tires.

Bendix bought out SmarTire ten years back, and promptly pulled this product from the motorcycle market (f***king Bendix). Perhaps that made good business sense from a liability or other stand points, but from a safety of life perspective it was a huge disservice.

So don't be put off by SmarTire's lack of support. Get 'em while the last few kits are still available!

YMMV.