New spring on OEM shock, & use "Hard/Soft" lever?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade the shock on my Gen II with that of one for a Gen III. However, I'm wondering if the OEM spring(s) can be replaced with a stiffer one. That is, if needed, after trying it out for a bit.

I'm curious if the "Hard/Soft" lever can still be utilized with an aftermarket single spring the same way it is with the OEM double spring setup.

Thanks fellas.

I don't think you use the lever when you install a single spring like that. I can tell you that after replacing my 53k mile "07 rear shock with a new '13 and up rear shock the improvement was pretty dramatic. Even riding 2 up I haven't found the need to move the lever to the hard position. I'm extremely pleased for the money spent.

Just for giggles we measured the thickness of spring steel on the two shocks. Gen 2 rear shock spring is 12mm thick. Gen 3 measures 14mm. Pretty substantial improvement.

Yeah I second that. After replacing mine with 2013 shock and increasing the front fork pre-load all the way to one section left, the bike is completely transformed. It rides firmer, more planted, absorbs bump better, feel quicker and faster. I don't know if the new front tyre T-30 (my first time trying it) contributes as well. I can't believe I ride a like new bike after many years. I set all the rebound and compression damping to 8 for both front and rear. I weigh about 140 lbs and it works out perfectly.

The stock spring is actually a pair of springs, one softer than the other. Setting the lever to "hard" simply locks the soft spring. If the aftermarket setup is a single spring, then the lever serves no purpose.

I just met a suspension guy that recently rebuilt an OEM FJR shock. Said it was a PITA, partly because he had to drill and tap a nitrogen inlet. However, I'd bet anyone with the right tools could replace the spring(s)

Last edited by a moderator:
GenII spring 708 lbs. spring, GenIII spring 976. Dramatic difference, very pleasantly surprised the GenIII is so good.... I say don't mess with the old one at all.