New Tires on the Road

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris white

Reaction score
Am planning to do the 49 state in 10 day ride this May. For the most part it's just driving, but somewhere along the way I'll need new tires as I've never gotten more than 6000 miles out of a rear tire. As tires can be quite the variable, I don't see much advantage in changing them early and until I get going I won't really know how long they'll last. As I haven't done an Iron Butt yet this is new for me. Any hints or helpful ideas would be appreciated. At this point I'm planning to start in California and will need tires somewhere between Virginia and Maine, I think.

"It's not how fast you ride....it's how you ride fast"

I would make sure that I had the FJR help list with me ;) When I figured out about where I was going to need them I'd make a couple calls and get a set drop shipped to someone on the list ;)

If'n you happen to need them around Ohio, let me know.

-MD

I think you've got 90% of it figure out. Plan a window for a change and find a dealership in that region that ideally has your tire in stock or order one. Maine has a perennial Iron Butt Rally checkpoint in it and will undoubtedly help out. I believe they're Reynolds Motorsports near Gorham.

Closer to Virginia I think you'll have to ask around. Check out the Member Map for riders in that area.

What tires are you using? I did the 48+ last year (11,240 miles round trip) on a set of Avons and still had `some' tread left. On a ride of this nature, you have plenty of time so just use your right hand judicialy.

I`m a 100 miles south of Chicago if you need help.

Good luck. :D

What tires are you using? I did the 48+ last year (11,240 miles round trip) on a set of Avons and still had `some' tread left. On a ride of this nature, you have plenty of time so just use your right hand judicialy. I`m a 100 miles south of Chicago if you need help.

thanks for the input, just find it hard to believe that I'd ever get 11000 plus miles out of a tire. Glad to hear you had a sucessful trip last year. I was in Hyder last year and know that there were 13 people there just completing this adventure. Were you one of them or did you do yours at a different time?

The idea of the shop in Maine sounds like a pretty good option as well, I don't want to baby my tires. In fact I hit some cords on the way into Hyder last year and had to double back to Smithers for fresh rubber. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you've got 90% of it figure out. Plan a window for a change and find a dealership in that region that ideally has your tire in stock or order one. Maine has a perennial Iron Butt Rally checkpoint in it and will undoubtedly help out. I believe they're Reynolds Motorsports near Gorham.
Closer to Virginia I think you'll have to ask around. Check out the Member Map for riders in that area.
Thanks!

I left on a 9 day trip last year with enough tire to finish but a nail changed my plans. I found NO dealers in the Phoenix area that had a Sport Touring tire in stock. I did find a Parelli Diablo which worked well. Maybe it would be good to have an alternate choice or choices before beginning an extended ride.

thanks for the input, just find it hard to believe that I'd ever get 11000 plus miles out of a tire. Glad to hear you had a sucessful trip last year. I was in Hyder last year and know that there were 13 people there just completing this adventure. Were you one of them or did you do yours at a different time?
The idea of the shop in Maine sounds like a pretty good option as well, I don't want to baby my tires. In fact I hit some cords on the way into Hyder last year and had to double back to Smithers for fresh rubber. :)
Yes, I did mine last year>> https://www.ronayres.com/hyder2007/hs200649ers.htm << back row, second from left (with hat)

I managed four hours sleep every night except one. Had an appointment at Sunnyside, thanks to Dale, for a final drive seal replacement.

As Mat suggested, Reynolds Motorsport in Gorham, Maine would be my choice for tire change. I would suggest calling long before you leave, and have them order the tire for you. If they stock the tire, have them put your name on it and give them a good idea of your arrival time. This MAY help with a more speedy change.

Reynolds have been an IBR checkpoint forever. Very nice personnel to riders. I would believe you would be treated the same way, especially if you mentioned you are on a IBA ride?

What tires are you using? I did the 48+ last year (11,240 miles round trip) on a set of Avons and still had `some' tread left. On a ride of this nature, you have plenty of time so just use your right hand judicialy. I`m a 100 miles south of Chicago if you need help.

I faced a similar problem last year when I decided to ride to Nova Scotia and back. Rather than change during the trip I opted to put an ME 880 on the rear....left the front the standard Pilot Road. The tires lasted the trip with no problems and in fact I still had them on at last years EOM and was able to barely keep Haulin' Ashe in sight....but he didn't get away. The only issue was that the tire wasn't available in the traditional 180 X 55 so I installed a 170 X 60. Same diameter so the speedo didn't change. Side benefit was that the bike turned in much better....probably due to a different tire profile......it was nice, especially at the EOM.

jim

Chris,

If you can let me know which route you will be taking thru Maine, I can point you toward the nearest dealer for tires. Reynolds is located on Rte 202, south of Gorham in southern ME. Please call if I can help. I'm on the FJR Assistance list. Sounds like a great trip...I don't do so well on no sleep!

If you are riding mostly slab for those ten days I would assume that your tires would last a little while longer. But if not, better to have some place to change them along the way.

Here's another option that I've set up for my 50CC run next month;

I just put on a new set of Avon Storms that I purchased through a Cycle Gear store (www.cyclegear.com). I purchased the motoguard (road hazard) plan with them.

If the rear looks marginal in any way, there is a cyclegear in San Diego that I can go to the have a new one put on. If it starts to square off, I will use the motoguard to get the tire replaced due to the nail hole in it...

If you supplement you tool kit, you could pull up, pull the tire in the parking lot, get the new one spooned on by cyclegear, & reinstall the tire, find an Autozone or similar parts place that rents tools to get a torque wrench to torque the fasteners.

This road hazard coverage has already saved my once; I put on a new PR rear in January. Last month on my way to work, I picked up a nail in the rear. It has less that 2000 miles on it, I got a brand new PR from cyclegear installed, no cost to me.

Of course, the dealership mentioned above sounds like a great option as you would not have to turn any wrenches yourself. The cyclegear stores have not spread to the northeast or Midwest yet, but they are in the SE, SW, NW.

good luck, -wr

Preplan and change early. I paid $100 in rush shipping and airfreight charges to get a tire overnight to new orleans a few years back + a days delay.

Great city to be delayed in though!

Hiya qksilvr ! Sounds like a fun ride, I'm jealous.

1) Back east here, most roads are real macadam or concrete, not the chip&seal that's used alot out West. Wears tires out lots slower.

2) Got 13k+ out of my Avons (42/42), that was 50-60 percent high speed slab, so maybe your 6K will improve on the big ride.

3) Hey, I'm on the list, stop by & say hi. If you want to ship a set of tires to me, that's OK.

4) Have a great ride & take lots of pictures for us !

Last edited by a moderator: