New Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7000 miles and need to replace the PR2? Wow. I've got about 5700 on mine, and I was blithely assuming I could get close to 10K before getting new tires. I'll be well over 6K by the end of this weekend, and have a 750 mile (approx) round trip to northern Vermont (weather permitting) the following weekend. Now I'm wondering whether I should consider new shoes before I take my trek.

I'm going to post up a report in another thread soon, but I've been running the BT023GT's for a while now, and the good news is at the mileage where my front 021 was in the dumpster, the front 023GT is still almost perfectly round! They handle great too. Bridgestone definitely significantly changed this tire.

7000 miles and need to replace the PR2? Wow. I've got about 5700 on mine, and I was blithely assuming I could get close to 10K before getting new tires. I'll be well over 6K by the end of this weekend, and have a 750 mile (approx) round trip to northern Vermont (weather permitting) the following weekend. Now I'm wondering whether I should consider new shoes before I take my trek.
Tire mileage is all over the place depending on road conditions, temps and right hand movement. I've changed two rear PR2's at about 12,000 miles and not because they were worn out. In both cases I was heading out 2up on a long trip and didn't want to risk a tire change on the road. They are sitting in my shed waiting to be reinstalled and used up. So with your mileage, I wouldn't hesitate to head out. YMMV. Better inspect tread depth....

I'm ordering new tires for the FJR already. As on the C14, the 021's suck big time. But I won't use the PR2's. I used them on the C14 also and found them to inspire little confidence and have unpredictable grip. I removed mine at half tire life and went back to Pirelli. Although a lot of guys on the COG site also love the PR2's. I found enough guys have had the same problem with the rear stepping out to make me belive the quality is questionable on the PR2's. So I'm not even willing to give them a second chance. I'm quite happy with the grip that the Pirelli's give in all conditions. Even if the wear out a little quicker than the Michelin's. But I'll take grip and secure over nervous and longer wearing any day. Of course this is just my opinion.
I'm on my second set of PR2's. I expected the handling to be pretty harsh towards the end of the tire life of the first set. I had to countersteer harder into the corners, but they still gave me good grip and handling. Never had the symptoms you described. I got close to 10,000 miles out of the first set. I've run the Pirellis before and they were good tires, but I thought they were hard to steer into the curves from the begining of the tires life. Didn't care much for that. If I ever do experience what you described with the PR2's, I'll quit running them too. Hope I don't. :rolleyes:

GP

Just wish 3k doesn't wear a flat spot so easily.. Suppose freeway and highway straights will do that though...