New to FJR... whats up with the gearbox?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnat53

Reaction score
I have had my 07' since last August. It runs pretty smooth, but the clutch/throttle is a little jerky, but I discovered something on a ride over Sonora Pass a few days ago. If I kept the power range between 5 and 6k in second and third, the throttle smoothed out and the power was delivered more evenly. My question is, is this going to cause me problems riding like this? Also, shifting from first to second sounds like shaking a bag of rocks. Also, a problem?

The 06 and 07 models have a really snatchy throttle, that can be mostly cured by changing the throttle tube to a G2 Throttle Tamer. Please do this before you end up like my buddy with the rear wheel ahead of the front. Some have invested more and installed Power Commander controllers with a smoothness map, but the G2 goes a long way to solving the problem.

Start with that and I think you'll be a lot happier. BTW if you haven't gotten sliders for that bike, it's a good idea. Gravel and sand in mountain turns is not your friend until you solve the throttle. As far as being between 5 and 6K RPM goes, that is the sweet spot of the power curve. My guess is you are in first gear or perhaps second on Sonora Pass to keep it there and with a snatchy throttle, things can go south in a big hurry if you lose traction. Running that kind of RPMs in low gear does get you out of the rapid response part of the OEM throttle. Change it.

Last edited by a moderator: