New to me FJR in the stable!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaYzerman19

Go Wings!
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on a 2007 ABS with 3,300 kms on it. The guy who owned it could not ride due to a bad back and had to give it up. It came with the heated grips and Yammy top box. The dealer who brokered the deal said the ignition switch and top box recalls were done, but could not find any info on an ECU recall. Perhaps we didn't get that one in Canada?

In any case, this bike is freakin' awesome in handling and suspension over other bikes I've had. I had an '05 ST1300 and most recently a GL1800. I can't get over the lighter weight. The inline 4 isn't as "refined" as the Hondas, but I wouldn't expect it to be the same as a v4. A few more buzzes that I am quickly forgetting about.

I have done some research here, and have a few more questions for the experienced. I do not have a service manual yet (ordered). Nor have I removed much tupperware or lifted the tank yet. So far I have installed a Battery Tender harness and my Zumo in the two whole days I've had it. More farkles ordered including crash bars, etc. I want to keep the nicely painted and styled stock mirrors (they don't vibrate, so far) and need to find spacers to move them out.

1. How to adjust the idle speed on an '07 (where is the screw?)

2. Skeptical about the top box latch strength. Someone mentioned strengthening the plastic part?

3. Throttle is stiff, G2 ordered, but I want to relieve the tension at the TB's. I can't find the thread for that again.

4. Clutch is a little stiff...... should I suffer or put a Gen 1 slave unit on? I might be able to live with it as is.......

5. Need to upgrade the seat if anybody is within riding distance of Toronto or Niagara area.

6. Slight clunk in front when braking, suspect steering head bearings. Need special tools??

Thanks in advance for the help. Looking forward to hanging out here more

Last edited by a moderator:
QUOTE (Yzerman19 @ Jul 7 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I pulled the trigger on a 2007 ABS with 3,300 kms on it. ...

3. Throttle is stiff, G2 ordered, but I want to relieve the tension at the TB's. I can't find the thread for that again.

6. Slight clunk in front when braking, suspect steering head bearings. Need special tools??

Welcome.

A couple of answers for you;

1. Idle speed: In front of your right knee, under the plastic, a knurled and crossheaded screw - see piccy:

(Click on image for larger view)

3. Link to thread. Note my entry about the rear tank hinge:

6. Some bikes have a slightly loose brake rotor at the front, so that you can feel a slight knock when pushing and pulling the bike against the front brake. Mine had it when new, I thought it was the head bearing, my dealer showed me otherwise.

Grasp the rotor with both hands, rock it clockwise then counter-clockwise. Then try the other side. Mine has always done it a bit, I now ignore it completely (some riders believe it is a BAD THING, but I don't know why. After all, they are "floating rotors").

If it's not that, then it could be the head bearing.

Hope that helps some.

welcome - all bikes have their own individual sounds and quirks

3. Throttle is stiff, G2 ordered, but I want to relieve the tension at the TB's.
if hand effort is the issue, a Cramp Buster should work (<$20)
Thanks, got the CrampBusters on, and it's still too much for me. I'd still like to back off the return spring. I read somewhere how, now I can't find that thread.

I pulled the trigger on a 2007 ABS with 3,300 kms on it. ...

Welcome.

A couple of answers for you;

1. Idle speed: In front of your right knee, under the plastic, a knurled and crossheaded screw - see piccy:

[SIZE=8pt](Click on image for larger view)[/SIZE]

3. Link to thread. Note my entry about the rear tank hinge:

6. Some bikes have a slightly loose brake rotor at the front, so that you can feel a slight knock when pushing and pulling the bike against the front brake. Mine had it when new, I thought it was the head bearing, my dealer showed me otherwise.

Grasp the rotor with both hands, rock it clockwise then counter-clockwise. Then try the other side. Mine has always done it a bit, I now ignore it completely (some riders believe it is a BAD THING, but I don't know why. After all, they are "floating rotors").

If it's not that, then it could be the head bearing.

Hope that helps some.
EXCELLENT, thanks!! That didn't help some, it helped a ton!! I'm glad I didn't attempt that before reading or I would have broke somethin'. I'll investigate that rotor thing, sounds interesting to say the least, but quite annoying (maybe I got a loud one?).

I checked both front rotors, and they have more play than I'm used to. They will clunk when I turn them by hand. Checked my two Hondas, and they don't have any play at all. I'm trying to think of how to fix this, but I'm not getting any bright ideas just yet.

I also held the brakes on while jouncing the front forks, and I still think the head bearing needs adjusting. Since I don't have the special tool or the service manual, I might just have to let the local dealer do it.

Thanks guys, and I appreciate all the help. Yes, Stevie Y was and is still the best!! Go Wings! I chose that little avatar as it looked closest to an octopus.

I did the throttle spring today, shocked that it only took me about 20 minutes or so total (it's easy when you have all the detailed instructions ahead of time). What a difference...... now I have to adjust free play as all that effect previously masked has now been amplified. No worries. I am concerned about how this engine runs for a couple of minutes after you start it, hot or cold. FI mapping must be really lean...... we'll see how it goes.

Farkles are ordered and coming next week. Woo hoo, sharp bike and empty wallet, what a combination!!

I checked both front rotors, and they have more play than I'm used to. They will clunk when I turn them by hand. Checked my two Hondas, and they don't have any play at all. I'm trying to think of how to fix this, but I'm not getting any bright ideas just yet.I also held the brakes on while jouncing the front forks, and I still think the head bearing needs adjusting. Since I don't have the special tool or the service manual, I might just have to let the local dealer do it.
It took me a while to be convinced mine wasn't the head bearing. The only way to check it is with the bike on its centre stand, a heavy person holding down the back to lift the front wheel, and grasping the forks to push and pull them. Rocking mine on the front brake felt exactly like head bearing play; my dealer's mechanic went through it with me, and made me push and pull the forks until I was convinced the head bearing was OK!

Back to the rotors, there must be a limit to acceptable free play. If you get your dealer behind you saying it's too much, I am sure Yamaha will sort it.

Gives you an excuse for a ride to your dealer, take the long way :rolleyes: ...

My 2007 has a slight clunk the first time I apply the front brakes.

I had my dealer check the steering head bearings when I had the ignition switch recal done.

They said every thing was fine and torqued it to spec. So I just ignore it now.