New Trunk, Top Box, Tourpak - Pictures

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROBSMST

Reaction score
Wife was not comfortable on my FJR with its stock Yammie Topbox. After our recent trip to San Diego where she got a bruise on her back I decided to look for a new one. This is my experience. If you want to skip the text and go straight to the pictures here is the link:

https://www.photoshow.com/watch/vq3Gn8Jg - Pictures

https://stores.ebay.com/helixparts - Where I bought (San Jose local pick up for me) I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS SELLER/VENDOR - his name is Justin.

Okay for those who want the whole story -

Like most of the things I buy I started by researching on the internet. Well, I started with what the wife needed. Having sat on a Wing she knew she wanted some sort of wrap around backrest. So I first researched whether I could put a new backrest on my existing stock Yamaha box. No one could give me exactly what I needed (Russel Day Long came close with their ability to recover my existing backrest but at the end of the day it is hard plastic, garbage in, garbage out). Thus, I decided to look at a new top box.

After hours of searching I cam across Mutazu. Good website with lots of pictures. And lucky for me they were in the Bay Area in San Leandro. So I decided to buy a Mutazu topbox. I drove out to San Leandro, where they have their warehouse and the lady there and the two warehouse employees were very nice. They pulled out 3 boxes while I tried to find one that matched the color of the FJR. I couldn't match it so I decided to buy a black one. For whatever reason, their credit card clearing company could not finish the transaction (a sign from life). I called my CC company and they said they never received the request so it wasn't on my end. Mutazu tried again and they could not get it to go through. They told me that they had been having problems for a couple of weeks. So I left. I called the next day and tried to do it by phone and again they could not finish the transaction. So I gave up and continued looking.

I then found Justin a.k.a motorcycle-parts on ebay who runs the helixparts store. I saw that he was in San Jose (where I live) and that his prices were less than Mutazu's. Reading his ebay page I saw that they used two straps to hold the top part of the box, sold racks and backrests and that the locks are removal and offer primered boxes. Also see claims of better construction due to not using recycled plastic, two straps vs 1, and removable locks. So I ask a question through ebay and ask if he allows local pick ups. He said yes, no extra charge (Mutazu wanted a $10 handling charge).

I met Justin on a Tuesday after work at a fast food place parking lot. He had brought everything I wanted to see and I bought two top boxes and two wraparound backrests and a rack. Did it on his i-phone through paypal with my CC. No problem.

After bringing everything home I did a close inspection and here is my comparison (remember, I saw both brands in person and this is first hand experience).

Size type - Boxes are identical (my guess is they use the same supplier however different material specs) - No winner

Construction - The top boxes from helixparts are sturdier than the top boxes I saw at Mutazu, particularly the top portion of the box, I didn't take any measurements but the helixparts boxes seem thicker. Also, it has two vs one strap to hold the top when open. - Winner Helixparts

Hardware - same - No winner

Lock - Helixparts is removable, Mutazu is riveted - For painting purposes Winner Helixparts

Wraparound backrest - identical, however lower price at Helixparts - Winner Helixparts

Price of box - Winner Helixparts

Local pick up - No charge for Heliparts, $10 charge for Mutazu - Winner Helixparts

Transaction ease - Mutazu couldn't make it happen (saved me some $ in the long run) - Winner Helixparts

Ok so now I had my boxes and it was time to install. Yamaha had a recall on thier topbox plates so I have a spare one. Just cut the front end and drilled holes. Real strong hold. The VTX was different. I needed a sissy rack. So I thought, let's go back to Mutazu as they sell some (Helixparts does not). I go out there, they did not have one that matches my Hondaline Deluxe C model so they could not help me there. They were nice though. So, I ordered from Bestem. $115 with tax and shipping (actually cost me more than the box).

Install was easy. Took my time lining things up and drilling. You know, measure twice cut once. I had to paint the Yamaha one to match my bike. Used Duplicolor flat black on the bottom. Colorrite Bluish Silver on top. Ordered a Yammie badge and added that. Matches well except for the reflection. I need to wait a couple months before waxing it. Then it should match well.

Box looks great on the X, although I think I will put a spacer on the rear to bring it up just slightly as the Bestem rack sags a bit (exaggerated in pictures with FJR because the FJR tilts it the other way). Box looks pretty good on the FJR but it definitely is going more in the touring-sport direction than sport tourer. Particularly with the large shield. Good thing the motor is chipped to remind me it is meant for SPORT touring.

Now for the opinion that counts. Wife has spent hours on both bikes now and is more comfortable. Particularly on the FJR. No more bruises.

From a customer service standpoint, Justin at Helixparts answered all my questions in email, phone, follow up questions etc. He was not happy until I was 100% satisfied. Makes sense if you read his ebay feedback, nearly perfect. His product in my opinion and from seeing both first hand is a better product and it cost less. For other Mutazu feedback feel free to search the HD forums. Good people in my in person experience however they could not do a transaction when I wanted to. Worked out better for me as I believe I ended up with a better product for less.

If you have questions feel free to PM me.

2 Topboxes one painted vivid black one primered

2 Wraparound backrests (note that the boxes come with standard backrests which look great on the FJR but we need the wraparound that are more comfortable)

1 Rack for topbox (never know when you need to take the heavy jacket off in the desert)

1 Sissy rack to be able to mount top box on VTX

2 cans of paint

All for under $520. Looks good, works great. Awesome bang for the buck.

If I were just going to the the VTX, painted box, wraparound and sissy rack, all would have been around $285.

If it were just the FJR it would have been around $235, box, top rack and paint (Colorrite paint was price at $43 shipped).

Oh one more thing, yes the Yammie top box is a lot sturdier. But the new one is sturdy enough that I don't have any hesitation in using it the same way I've been using my Yammie box.

Latest posts