Newbie FJR questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slammie

Reaction score
Im about to purchase a 05 ABS. During the test drive all seemed great but I went to a gravel parking lot to test the ABS and it worked fine in the rear, but the front still locked up at a few mph. Is this normal? Maybe it doesn't engage below a certain speed.

Also, the bike doesn't have side cases (euro model). If I buy these on ebay or somewhere, do I need any other hardware to mount them? Are the locks easily re-pin-able?

Anything to look for other than ticking?

Is $5000 a reasonable price for an 05 with 11k miles, no bags, some scratches and scuffs?

Thanks,

Sam

QUOTE (slammie @ Jul 2 2010, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im about to purchase a 05 ABS. During the test drive all seemed great but I went to a gravel parking lot to test the ABS and it worked fine in the rear, but the front still locked up at a few mph. Is this normal? Maybe it doesn't engage below a certain speed.

Also, the bike doesn't have side cases (euro model). If I buy these on ebay or somewhere, do I need any other hardware to mount them? Are the locks easily re-pin-able?

Is $5000 a reasonable price for an 05 with 11k miles, no bags, some scratches and scuffs?

Thanks,

Sam

ABS never works below a few MPH.

Sidecases need no extra hardware assuming the rubber bits are on the lower mounting feature. You can see it in this picture of my '06, similar on the GEN I machines

(Click on image for larger view)

As for re-keying, it can be done, but you need a key for the original tumbler to take it apart. Never done it myself, but some on this forum have done it, others have got a lock-smith to do it.

New cases do not come with locks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are you located? Pricing is regional and European prices (as well as Canadian) are higher than US.

Not sure what may be missing if the bike didn't originally come wth the cases . . . . a quick check of the parts fiche implies that you'll need the rubber bumpers at least.

The locks can be rekeyed, and many used side cases do come with them, but the bike ships with 3 locks; 2 for cases and 1 for a top case) and the side cases need to have them installed. So you can ask the seller for his locks, which will be keyed alike with the ignition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are you located? Pricing is regional and European prices (as well as Canadian) are higher than US.
Not sure what may be missing if the bike didn't originally come wth the cases . . . . a quick check of the parts fiche implies that you'll need the rubber bumpers at least.

The locks can be rekeyed, and many used side cases do come with them, but the bike ships with 3 locks; 2 for cases and 1 for a top case) and the side cases need to have them installed. So you can ask the seller for his locks, which will be keyed alike with the ignition.
I am in Bulgaria right now. The bike seems reasonably priced for here. It doesn't sound like it would be worth sourcing the locks and bumpers- perhaps I will go with soft bags. Thanks for the tips.

Thanks,

Sam
ABS never works below a few MPH.

Sidecases need no extra hardware assuming the rubber bits are on the lower mounting feature. You can see it in this picture of my '06, similar on the GEN I machines

[SIZE=8pt](Click on image for larger view)[/SIZE]

As for re-keying, it can be done, but you need a key for the original tumbler to take it apart. Never done it myself, but some on this forum have done it, others have got a lock-smith to do it.

New cases do not come with locks.
Cool- thanks for the pic and the tips. I was slightly concerned because I cauld get the rear abs to engage in the parking lot but not the front. I definitely don't have the bumpers - I will probably go with soft bags rather than find bumpers and locks.