Newbie Test Run and Observations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devaldez

Reaction score
I posted this on the other board, but I thought someone might find this interesting...

So, I set out this morning to ride from Portland area to Leavenworth, WA, Seattle, and Ocean City. Things went a little pear shaped and I ended up home. Here's my final route.

I've been riding an ST1100 constantly for two years now, and rode one in the past, too. I've also owned two YZF600Rs (Thundercats, HO!) in the past five years. This is my basis for comparison. Also, MY ST1100 happened to be the exact year and model as the one my now deceased uncle declared in 1995 to be the pinnacle of sport touring. In other words, there's emotion involved in my ST affiliation, too.

I ended up doing 530 miles (I took a side route in Goldendale not accounted for in the map) in about 12 hours, with stops. I was on twisties in the passes, slabs where required. My FJR is a Gen2 that hasn't yet been set up for me (EDR is going to do that next week!). Here is where the praise begins...

The position, overall, is much better for me than the ST, though my Corbin Canyon is missed. The stock seat isn't nearly as bad as I feared. I may even keep it, but I have a feeling the factory gel saddle will be enough. I love that I have several positions on the FJR. The ST and the Corbin limited alternative seating. I have also found that the tighter I hug the gas tank, the more room I have for my aching, bad knees. The ONLY ergo thing I miss is that I had two glove boxes on the ST, which proved very convenient.

I have the factory top case (stiffy kit is on the way) that is really used for my laptop/electronics stuff and the tent poles because they won't fit in the saddle bags. I'm not worried about a subframe issue, but again, stiffy kit on the way. I fit everything into those three bags. I think the ST has larger saddlebags,or at least they seem to swallow more. They aren't as wide and the ST couldn't accommodate my huge brain bucket (XXL), but I can fit my helmet in any of my bags on the FJR...different config, I guess. Anyway, the FJR just took everything I put in/on it with aplomb! My Givi tank bag is brilliant, too. Once it's square away with a couple of things, I'll have two USB connections inside the bag, plus the aux port in the glove compartment. I'm kinda in love with my storage/electricals on the FJR!

Now to the important aspects, the riding. The FJR is amazingly nimble compared to the ST. Even with 20k miles in the past two years, doing the dreaded MSF box would've challenged me. The FJR is so much more capable that I actually did several figure eights just to enjoy it. I can't wait for the advanced rider course on this bike. SR-14 in Washington isn't a challenging ride, but it's beautiful and has enough corners that you can have some fun on the way. When bimbo boxes and lorries weren't limiting me, there was no corner I couldn't take at the speed limit. There are a couple that would make my pegs scream on the ST, but the FJR isn't even close. On the slabby side, the ST is a bit more stately, more comfy. Truly, though an ST will carve well, the FJR completely outclasses the ST in corners, but the ST rules the slabs. Since I wanted to get away from the slabs, the FJR is simply the best sport-touring bike I've ever ridden. I'm so excited to get the suspension tuned to me and my riding style. It's going to be a little mind-bending given how competent the FJR already is. Back to slabby for a sec, the inline four FJR is much more buzzy than the V4 ST. The ST was a "rolling couch" on slabs and with the Corbin, I can't really argue. I've been told a Wing is even better, but I really can't imagine how, ride-wise.

So, what I've come to is that I managed to get the exact bike to fit my riding style. I've managed to purchase it in the most elegant and fastest color (IMO). Thanks to everyone here for welcoming me and when the heck is someone going to go with me on an extended adventure?

That's a fair comparison... I too had a '95 ST1100 before my current ride of an '05 FJR. I loved the ST but after 5 yrs I was simply ready for something different and honestly, I was ready for a little boost in HP from an inline 4.

The FJR took care of that and 2 years later I'm still very happy with it.

Regards,

Mr. BR

Nice loop!

Never ridden a ST but since jumping into FJRs many (many) years ago, it checks all the boxes for me. Keep the PNW Tech Day in mind, they'll be a ton of bikes there, each with the "personal" touch.

--G

I have many miles on an ST13 and a Wing, but not an 11..... The black cherry is the fastest colour FJR, but who knows if root beer brown will be equal........ enjoy!

From the bitching and whining section: Pics? Where are the pics?
smile.png

Other than that, good write up. Good, fair comparison.

I think the '07 FJR is one of the most beautiful motorcycles to ever roll off and assembly line. The right color, the right lines, the right stance, it is just a pleasure to behold.

I had a wonderful '04 ST1300 while Dad rode his '07 FJR. So, I have some idea of your perspective.

The saddlebags on the ST somehow held more. They were oddly shaped but they were longer front to back.
The ST1300 was much faster than your ST1100. The FJR is faster than both. Yes, there is more "buzz" but that will change depending on RPM. The FJR likes to GO!
The Honda suspension is softer and smoother. The FJR is more nimble. Invest in some suspension upgrades and you will not be disappointed.
If you really like the Corbin, that is fine. But you owe it to yourself to look into a custom seat. You will find the prices to be close and the comfort to be much better. Why settle for "good enough" when you can get the best available for the same money?

Yes, the GoldWing is better for the slab. Everything is a compromise.

I will include a couple pics for you.
smile.png

For some reason the color of these seat pics never comes out right.

I've ridden ST1300s and that's actually why I've chosen the FJR. More sporty. The other thing is that Honda appears to be ignoring the ST line in the last decade. You just can't get the same equipment on an ST anymore. Where is the upgraded, electronic suspension? That's the most ugly example, but there are others. I wish the ST gave me what I wanted. I suspect, if it's around in 30 years, I might slow down enough to warrant one again.

Don't those wings interfere with hanging off the bike in tight corners? My goal is to scrape the whiskers off my pegs by the end of the fun riding season this year!

I'm going to have to get my phone replaced as when I washed it, the forward facing camera and flash took a dive. I pay for the insurance and this year it's getting used!

I also have an ancient Nikon D40x (I think...) I'm starting to deploy, but I can't find the battery charger, so I'm going to ebay it. I'll be posting a video to YouTube by the end of the weekend with some one-minute captures along SR14 and over Status Pass into Yakima. About then, the battery died. The other camera was deployed going over Snowqualmie and should show most of it.

Yes, Honda abandoned the ST line. A shame because the potential was there.

No, the "wings" do not interfere with spirited riding. Even if they did, the trade off in comfort would be worth it.

I just bought a new iPhone due to water damage. I am still irritated over that.