Next best seat to Russell seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I look at the pictures of various riders on Russell seats, I see that the range of users covers the full spectrum of butt and thigh sizes.

I think that everyone benefits from the under thigh support that Russell provides, but this is also the root of the Russell problem with ground reach. When Russell builds a custom seat, they try to provide as much thigh support as they dare, while the rider anxiously wonders if it will be possible to flat foot the bike. The thigh supporting segment of the wings is the focus of the compromise.

Those of use with large derrieres also benefit from the wings which can also provide support for the general seating surface .... much like a tractor seat, nearly all of which are more comfortable than stock motorcycle seats.

Best way to deal with the looks of a Russell seat is to place your butt on it and ride off. If your butt doesn't cover the "offensive" seat, your smile after miles and miles of riding will.

Logan

On the FJR, I've had the stocker, a used Rick Mayer and now, a Russell.

Best compromise is the Rick Mayer, still looks somewhat good, but when it comes to the buttockals, function wins out and hence the Russell. The Russell is funny. It doesn't feel particularly comfy when you first sit on it, and at the end of 500 mile day, it feels exactly the same. I don't have any problems hanging off the bike with the wings, and, no problem scooching forward ever so slightly to flat foot the bike at stops.

As for other brands, I've had a Sargeant, a Mustang and 2 Corbins. By far the best of that lot was the Mustang. The Corbins were shite and while the Sargeant was better than the Corbins, the gel in it held heat so bad that I was riding OFF the seat at times.

Makes your choices, pays your money, it's your ass and wallet.

Disclaimer: I am one of the Russell believers. I have drunk the kool-aid and it is good.

I used to have a Sargent on my VFR. It was a lot better than the stock torture device. It would allow me to ride that bike all day in relative comfort. But not all day, multiple days in a row. Then the seat became a limiting factor.

My '05 came to me (used) with a 1st gen Corbin Canyon seat. That seat was an instrument of sheer torture. I couldn't ride the bike more than an hour without lots of wiggling around. I later tried a Corbin modular seat (like the 2nd gen model) and that was much better, good for maybe 5-6 hours.

I later bought a used Rick Mayer seat for the FJR. It wasn't made specifically for me, and maybe that was why it didn't work for me either.

I finally got over the looks of the Russell and decided the ability to ride in comfort was more important than how it looks. I'll never own another road bike that doesn't have a Russell. I even have one on my V-strom which sees a fair amount of off-road use. I do think that the Russell half moon pattern is a bit less offensive looking than some of the other stitching patterns, but only just a little. Here's mine:

100_0381.jpg

With all of the above said, I have heard testimony from some owners that the Bill Mayer seat is (almost) as good as the Russell day long in the comfort department, and it is not quite as offensive looking. But you can only see the seat when you aren't sitting on it, which is really what I prefer to do. :p
Fred,

Looking at your Russell seat, it concerns me that water from heavy rain would run off the tank bag and onto the seat and you'd be sitting in a pool of water. Is that the case? I have this problem with a Corbin seat I have on my Silver Wing. My ass ends up soaking wet in heavy rain. I now over inflate the Airhawk and sit on that to get me through the frog stranglers and keep me elevated above the seat puddle.

Jeff

Fred,

Looking at your Russell seat, it concerns me that water from heavy rain would run off the tank bag and onto the seat and you'd be sitting in a pool of water. Is that the case? I have this problem with a Corbin seat I have on my Silver Wing. My ass ends up soaking wet in heavy rain. I now over inflate the Airhawk and sit on that to get me through the frog stranglers and keep me elevated above the seat puddle.

Jeff
Well yes and no.

As long as my ample bottom is firmly planted in that seat, it tends to fill the scooped out section pretty well. :p

And when I park the bike on the sidestand there is enough tilt to allow it to drain out the side well too.

If I was to park the bike on the center stand (without a cover) there would definitely be some pooling (liek a small hot-tub) in the big scoop.

Does my butt ever get wet in a frog strangling, all day deluges?

You bet your ass it does! But I don' t really think that the seat shape would help much one way or another.

And even if it did, the trade off for having all day, pain-free buttocks is an easy choice (for me)

Just consider it a free sitz bath! :rolleyes:

Interesting thinking though...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Rick Mayer made for me. Couldn't be happier, I think it looks great. Makes my ass look skinny... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my Russell delivered last week. Spent all day Saturday on it with out any tingles. The only problem is it adds a 1" to 1 1/2" to the height and takes a little time getting used to. I think the money was well spent.