NH Fall Ride Report with Pics

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice Rumble

Reaction score
What a great turn out we had today as 15 FJR's showed up at Fiddleheads Cafe in Hancock for our Covered Bridges of Southwestern NH tour. 13 bridges in total were either ridden through or pointed out. The weather was perfect with lots of sunshine and temps warming into the mid sixties. In attendance today were ionbeam and his wife Helen, snikr, fredw, cartfj40, pet07fjr, herfjr, hisfjr, rindgerider, dailycommuter, jmarran, S76, bkrk12, Charlie Hoss and his wife and myself. I'm missing one rider so chime in so we can get the correct amount. Apologies to any rider whose riding partner I've omitted. It's tough trying to keep track of everyone's names. Next year we'll need name tags.

After some refresments and meet and greets it was time to head out at about 10:30 a.m.

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

EarlymorningatFiddleheads.jpg

Some of the riders who had ridden over early in the morning need to fuel up so about 10 miles down the road we pulled into the local gas station.

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

Then it was off to find the first of many covered bridges. Most of these bridges are in the old mill towns such as Swanzy, Troy and Winchester.

We found some freshly paved back roads on the way.

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

We stopped for a photo-op at this bridge as it afforded us room to park. The group photo is coming as it's in someone else's camera.

IMG_0569.jpg

Iris, (herfjr) and Jim's (hisfjr) wife in all her radiant beauty. And boy can she ride. She stayed right with me through all the curves.

IMG_0571.jpg

We finally wound our way into Walpole where we stopped at the local pizza place for lunch.

IMG_0576.jpg

It was good to see the '07 represented in our sea of blue and silver.

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

After lunch I had the opportunity to meet the local constable for the town of Langdon. There I was leading 14 bikes when an SUV with lights flashing on top proceeds to pull across the road and virtually set up a road block.

I coast to a stop next to his front bumper. He get's out and ask's me if I knew the speed limit was 35 miles per hour.

I said I didn't and he asked for my papers. He never told me what he clocked me at. The others behind said I was going about 40-45 mph. I have a clean record (fortunately) and he returned to his cruiser to look me up in their database. I think it also helped to have removed my helmet, had my glasses on and showed some white hair. I was also using lots of yes and no sirs. After about 5 minutes he came back and said he was giving me warning and to keep the speed down. He went on to say that a squid, who had been pulling wheelies, ran from him a few days ago and he broke off the chase so as not to get someone killed. Then he went on to ask me how I liked my bike. So I knew I was off the hook.

IMG_0585.jpg

SkipandRangerRick.jpg

The rest of the riders waiting while I was being interrogated. Iris says she has a picture of me and the cop from her vantage point. And there it is ^

IMG_0586.jpg

We were due a reward for getting away with that one and were handed RT 123A (the twistiest road in NH) without a single vehicle in front of us all the way out to Rt 10, about 20 miles. Wow! was that fun.

The ride ended at The Rowell Covered Bridge in Hopkinton at the intersection of RT 127 and 202/9. We said our goodby's and each rider was off to their respective destinations. Thanks to all for making this a fun ride. Perhap's we can make this an annual event.

IMG_0589.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent! Looks like you all had a nice day, perfect weather, nice scenery. To correct your attendance list I wasn't there, had to work. I hope you do make it an annual event to give me another chance. Glad you all had a safe and pleasant ride.

:D

I do leave for FL Thursday on the bike for a month so that eases the pain a little. Going to do the SS1000 on the way down....I hope.

What a great turn out we had today as 15 FJR's showed up at Fiddleheads Cafe in Hancock for our Covered Bridges of Southwestern NH tour. The weather was perfect with lots of sunshine and temps warming into the mid sixties. In attendance today were ionbeam and his wife Helen, snikr, fredw, cartfj40, pet07fjr, herfjr, hisfjr, rindgerider, dailycommuter, jmarran, S76, bkrk12, Charlie Hoss and his wife and myself. I'm missing one rider so chime in so we can get the correct amount. Apologies to any rider whose riding partner I've omitted. It's tough trying to keep track of everyone's names. Next year we'll need name tags.
After some refresments and meet and greets it was time to head out at about 10:30 a.m.

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

Some of the riders who had ridden over early in the morning need to fuel up so about 10 miles down the road we pulled into the local gas station.

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

Then it was off to find the first of many covered bridges. Most of these bridges are in the old mill towns such as Swanzy, Troy and Winchester.

We found some freshly paved back roads on the way.

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

We stopped for a photo-op at this bridge as it afforded us room to park. The group photo is coming as it's in someone else's camera.

IMG_0569.jpg

Iris, (herfjr) and Jim's (hisfjr) wife in all her radiant beauty. And boy can she ride. She stayed right with me through all the curves.

IMG_0571.jpg

We finally wound our way into Walpole where we stopped at the local pizza place for lunch.

IMG_0576.jpg

It was good to see the '07 represented in our sea of blue and silver.

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

After lunch I had the opportunity to meet the local constable for the town of Langdon. There I was leading 14 bikes when an SUV with lights flashing on top proceeds to pull across the road and virtually set up a road block.

I coast to a stop next to his front bumper. He get's out and ask's me if I knew the speed limit was 35 miles per hour.

I said I didn't and he asked for my papers. He never told me what he clocked me at. The others behind said I was going about 40-45 mph. I have a clean record (fortunately) and he returned to his cruiser to look me up in their database. I think it also helped to have removed my helmet, had my glasses on and showed some white hair. I was also using lots of yes and no sirs. After about 5 minutes he came back and said he was giving me warning and to keep the speed down. He went on to say that a squid, who had been pulling wheelies, ran from him a few days ago and he broke off the chase so as not to get someone killed. Then he went on to ask me how I liked my bike. So I knew I was off the hook.

IMG_0585.jpg

The rest of the riders waitiing while I was being interrogated. Iris says she has a picture of me and the cop from her vantage point.

IMG_0586.jpg

We were due a reward for getting away with that one and were handed RT 123A (the twistiest road in NH) without a single vehicle in front of us all the way out to Rt 10, about 20 miles. Wow! was that fun.

The ride ended at The Rowell Covered Bridge in Hopkinton at the intersection of RT 127 and 202/9. We said our goodby's and each rider was off to their respective destinations. Thanks to all for making this a fun ride. Perhap's we can make this an annual event.

IMG_0589.jpg

Geee....I head home after lunch and miss ALL THE FUN! NOT Glad you got off Skip.

And thanks for doing this ride. I had a TON of fun and it was nice to see all those FJR riders and get to chat with them. Thanks once again for the ride and I hope to do it again for sure. Off to Maine Sunday morning with my wife. More miles on the FJR for sure.

Tom

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to chime in that Joann and I had a great time yesterday too. Being "locals" we get to ride a lot of those roads all the time, but we were definitely shown some new ones. One of which was 123A.

Anyway, great day, great ride. Thanks a bunch for leading us around Skip, and thanks for the organizing Alan.

I'll post any good pictures we took (once I get them out of Joann's camera).

Thanks for the name clarification guys. Now, there was a Hyabusa among us. Can anyone tell me how he came to enjoy our ride? Is he a friend of one of the FJR riders or did he see the ride on a forum (I posted on Sport Touring dot net and ADVrider as well) and decided to join us? Well, he did have a 1300 CC motor.

Thanks for the name clarification guys. Now, there was a Hyabusa among us. Can anyone tell me how he came to enjoy our ride? Is he a friend of one of the FJR riders or did he see the ride on a forum (I posted on Sport Touring dot net and ADVrider as well) and decided to join us? Well, he did have a 1300 CC motor.

Oh yeah, the other rider you're probably missing is the guy that came over from Manchester with Charlie and Alan and me from Somerville, MA riding the '07 AE. He said that he had never posted here before and happened to stumble across an announcement. I wonder if he will now?

First, I'd like to thank NiceRumble for the time and effort to put this ride together. It was a perfect day.

I have the "official" group shot, which I'll do a bit bigger since it's a nice one. I didn't pick the one Rich took with me in the pic, because I looked fat. Just kidding, it's because I looked bald. Anyhoo, here's some piccies:

Everyone chatting before our departure:

1462673565_ce1c31972d_b.jpg

Mine's the blue one:

1463536256_5a33a1791d_b.jpg

Our "yearbook" picture at the Ashuelot bridge:

1462685409_585e44513d_b.jpg

"Do you know why I set up an impromptu road block here today sir?"

1462683011_f03f25214c_b.jpg

Here's the last bridge where NiceRumble said "well, rides over, find your own damn way home." - Just kidding, sort of.

1462677237_3357a2a49d_b.jpg

WoW! That's great - I'm so bummed I missed out - I've been down & out with a nasty cold so I didn't make the run. I'll be going through New York, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine in 3 weeks though on my Feej. 1,300 mile tour in 3 days - Oct 19-21

Thank you,

Thank you,

Thank you, to Nice Rumble and all the folks on the NH Covered Bride Ride. I had a great time. The roads were great, people wonderful, had my 1st experience with motocross (that dirt road), and saw a few beautiful bridges to boot.

Hope to do it again next year.

Paul

What a great turn out we had today as 15 FJR's showed up at Fiddleheads Cafe in Hancock for our Covered Bridges of Southwestern NH tour. 13 bridges in total were either ridden through or pointed out. The weather was perfect with lots of sunshine and temps warming into the mid sixties. In attendance today were ionbeam and his wife Helen, snikr, fredw, cartfj40, pet07fjr, herfjr, hisfjr, rindgerider, dailycommuter, jmarran, S76, bkrk12, Charlie Hoss and his wife and myself. I'm missing one rider so chime in so we can get the correct amount. Apologies to any rider whose riding partner I've omitted. It's tough trying to keep track of everyone's names. Next year we'll need name tags.
Skip:

Thanks again for the great ride!

I was the guy with salt and pepper hair on the AE - I have to say it was a pleasure meeting everyone I talked to and hope we get together for a fall ride next year. It was my first group ride and I left impressed with how well it went - I know work went into it and next year if I can help out I would be willing.

This is a map off my GPS of the ride - this included the Manchester portion with Ionbeam, FredW and Charlie Hoss and their co-pilots.

1469080423_4ff42b9dbe_o.jpg

That was really fun on Saturday.

I especially like that it was supposed to be a mellow ride and our fearless leader got stopped by Ranger Rick.

It was wonderful meeting new faces and seeing some familiar faces from the not too distant past.

-Iris

That was really fun on Saturday. I especially like that it was supposed to be a mellow ride and our fearless leader got stopped by Ranger Rick.

It was wonderful meeting new faces and seeing some familiar faces from the not too distant past.

-Iris

There was something about his (ranger rick) being short in stature that leads me to believe he is into power and control.

And the cologne he was wearing almost gagged me. :dribble:

Skip:
Thanks again for the great ride!

I was the guy with salt and pepper hair on the AE - I have to say it was a pleasure meeting everyone I talked to and hope we get together for a fall ride next year. It was my first group ride and I left impressed with how well it went - I know work went into it and next year if I can help out I would be willing.

This is a map off my GPS of the ride - this included the Manchester portion with Ionbeam, FredW and Charlie Hoss and their co-pilots.

1464799639_50d2355225.jpg
Hey!

You made it to the forum. Good on ya!

Any chance at a higher res copy of the route picture? Just post a link if you want.

Thanks!

Thanks Skip for a great tour, even though Johnny Law wanted to throw you into the slammer. <_< It truly was a beautiful day shared by some nice peeps. Iris and I ended up riding over to Rye Beach and spent the night (dinner at Ray's, not as good as Petey's). Sunday we rode back, via the Kankamagus Highway (beautiful). Perhaps we can get you over here to tour the Adirondacks. Thanks again. :clapping:

Jim