Nice new tool roll; what to put in it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
I won a gift certificate from Cyclenutz at CFO, and asked them to send me a Tool Roll, which they got to me right away. (Great guy to talk to, and you have to like anyone who is willing top step up for one of our events).

Here is the Tool Roll I now have in the high vis yellow, since I am sure any mechanical problems I might ever have are guaranteed to be in the dark of night.

https://www.cyclenutz.com/Roadgear-Tool-Roll_p_421.html

As I started to move some of the on bike tools I have from my old kit in to this organizer, I realized my on bike tool kit is poor at best. I need to upgrade and add several things, but was wondering what some people here have in their tool kits, or wish they had when they needed it in the past.

And yes, I have done a search, and know of some of the articles LD riders have written about this in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now I'm packed with; Vise grips, sockets from 10 to 22 mm and stubby driver. short open ended wrench's in the same size, a changeable bit type screw driver with 20 or so differing tips, Roll of electrical tape and some of those worthless wiring snap type connectors, A string patch kit and small compressor, 12 inch pair of hemostats,Valve stem tool? WTF? an a half roll of moth eaten first aid tape.. I have to replenish my zip ties I see..

Nice wrap. Think I'll buy one with my certificate too.

I felt bad not buying something worth more than my gift certificate, but (1) I don't have money to spend on things I don't REALLY need, (2) I didn't see anything I really needed on his site.

Like I said, super nice guy, and great service. The Cyclenutz site has been added to my list of favorites, since I believe in supporting people who support us.

I needed the old tool kit yesterday for the first time ever...gotta have a 17mm wrench or socket in there for sure. Oh yeah...every knows that and it already has one with the bike. But still...make sure you have the 17.

Anything so you can get both wheels off the bike, adjust suspension, change lightbulbs, definitely tie straps and electrical tape if yer like me and occasionally like to surf ditches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note to admins, the link in the Gen 2 archive of wisdom for the IBA Tool Kit takes us to a IBA link telling us to carry Aspirin. Not really the kind of info most people are looking for when trying to put together a tool kit.

Anything so you can get both wheels off the bike, adjust suspension, change lightbulbs, definitely tie straps and electrical tape if yer like me and occasionally like to surf ditches.
I would agree but add, a ball end allen wrench driver to remove all plastic.

My wrenches - both socket and combination, are not a full set, but just the wrenches that are needed on the FJR. Too much bulk & weight otherwise.

I use my tool roll when I work on the bike. That way, I not only know what I need in there, but I can drop the tools for things I don't know how to do anyway. Try that and you'll end up with a pretty efficient on-bike kit.

(The notable and probably obvious exception -- I don't carry my torque wrenches on the bike.)