No Key to Open Top Box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen_C

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha Top Box from my '08, which I sold to an out of state buyer last weekend. I just picked up my new '14 and realized I did not unlock the box before the buyer took both keys! Now I have a box that I cannot unlock (to top this off, the mount is inside the box too).

Does anyone know how to open this box without a key and without breaking it? I have the third lock that I want to install.

Local locksmith only charged me $10 to open mine. Said it was very easy to get into.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a local locksmith who it's opening it for only $15! Thanks for the suggestion.

Whilst your there might want to get a couple of spare keys. My yammy one was very soft. JSNS

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup...like others, I put my OEM keys in a drawer and use much better aftermarket keys I got from a locksmith. I used the OEM keys for a long time, but they are soft and had been bent once or twice. Haven't had a bent key since I switched.

Also, that $40 I suggested was for the locksmith to come to me for a horse trailer. So, $15 sounds about right. Glad that worked out .

Total cost was only $20 to make two new keys. Now to off I want to keep this case and paint it to match my '14 or sell it and buy a new case and mount...

Just a tip...........a certified locksmith can make a duplicate key from the 5 character code that comes with the original keys. They always tell you to write that code in your owners manual but it might be kind of hard to get to if you lose your only key and the owners manual is locked under the seat........so carry the code in your billfold or some other place where you can always get access to it. Kind of handy if you lose your key and are stranded and you need a locksmith to make a new key and a lot less expensive than replacing an ignition.

Latest posts