No longer starts -- dash lit up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna go ahead and say it -

funny how the OP more or less ignored everyone's advice to check the S4 harness.
I don't find it funny at all. Many do not feel competent to dig into their bike to the depth necessary to find, clean and repair the spiders.

I'm not 100% comfortable with it myself, but will get past the reticence so that I can install the Brodie Harness in the next couple of weeks before I find myself in one of the situations BramFrank describes so eloquently! :eek:

I agree that its' a damn shame that neither Yamaha nor the NHTSA have stepped up to the plate to solve this problem. After I get my harness installed I WILL be writing a letter to both. It is BS that owners must take corrective action like this to solve a known safety issue!

I'm gonna go ahead and say it -

funny how the OP more or less ignored everyone's advice to check the S4 harness.
I don't find it funny at all. Many do not feel competent to dig into their bike to the depth necessary to find, clean and repair the spiders.

I'm not 100% comfortable with it myself, but will get past the reticence so that I can install the Brodie Harness in the next couple of weeks before I find myself in one of the situations BramFrank describes so eloquently! :eek:

I agree that its' a damn shame that neither Yamaha nor the NHTSA have stepped up to the plate to solve this problem. After I get my harness installed I WILL be writing a letter to both. It is BS that owners must take corrective action like this to solve a known safety issue!
Well in the meanwhile you can either have a fried bike or pay $90 an hour to do the job. Yes I'm pretty straightforward in pointing somethings out, but only because I've learned that the people on this forum will do pretty much anything to help you(and me) and provide the knowledge needed to fix things the FIRST time and do it yourself.

Problem Solved! (but I'll never wash this thing again)

The Yamaha-dog dealer found a "subassy" connector "box", located under the left side of the gas tank (??) (which I haven't had the balls to look closer at to locate, nor have I found any reference to this in the 755 page of worthless service manual) -- they cleaned the connector contacts, and "regreased" (??) to keep the water out since there is never enough there provided at the factory. $90 and one week later -- the bike runs. Wow... Thanks for all the hints along the way....Back on the road...
I very rarely wash my almost 4 year old FJR, yet I had a spider failure just like you did. There doesn't seem to be any ryhme or reason why some bikes fail and others don't.

Please do yourself and all other current and future FJR owners a favor and file a defect report at www.safercar.gov so that the "powers that be" will realize that this is a common and serious failure with the FJR. It is highly likely that you will have another failure in the future because there's a few of those "connector box subassemblies" (aka spiders) on your bike and they only temporarily patched one of them.