No more windnoise on my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbh

Reaction score
This has been the loudest bike I have owned as far as windnoise in the helmet. I have a Shoei RF1000 which is generally considered a quiet helmet. I also ride with custom molded earplugs that I had made several years ago at a gun range. Even with this combination the noise level has always been close to unacceptable and unbearable on a longer trip. I did get some new cheek pads for my helmet 6 months ago to replace my wornout one and it did make some difference but it was still loud. Riding without plugs is not even an option, very loud. I use the Yamaha Tall windshield most of the time. I have a Cal-Sci large that does give me quiet air but I get a little buffeting and I do like some air on my shoulders and helmet most of the time. I also use the stock shield in the summer. Both stock and Yamaha touring are know pretty well as being loud.

I have been considering trying new helmets to try to get the noise level down. But instead of shelling out big $$ for a new lid I decided to get new custom molded earplugs from my local BigEar rep. She made them for me today and I rode home with them and WOW, what a difference. I rode with my Yamaha tall windshield down and it was so quiet at highway speed I felt like I could hear a pin drop in my helmet. Even riding into a 20 mph headwind it was still very very quiet.

I don't know if my old plugs were never that good or if they shrank over time as they are over 3 years old. I also have some bigear in ear headphones I had made last year and they do not block as much noise as my new plugs do. The person at bigear said she is sent to training school by bigear to learn about the ear and shapes of the ear. She did keep the plugs fairly small for the part outside of the ear canal, unlike my other plugs which had quite a bit of material that filled up my outer ear. That could have made some difference also.

So for all of you who say your helmet is too loud, even with your earplugs. It may just be your earplugs causing the problem. Today was the best $65 I have spent in quite some time.

...so for all of you who say your helmet is too loud, even with your earplugs. It may just be your earplugs causing the problem. Today was the best $65 I have spent in quite some time.
jbh

At $65 you must have gotten just the earplugs. I had a air of custom mould ear speakers from Now Hear This a few years back and they also do a fine job blocking the noise.

I just recently had a second set made by Big Ears but they didn't work out very well, the fitting wasn't right. We ended up getting a new casting made. It turns out that the first time around I had too much hair growing in my ears and that interfered with the casting process.

For those who are interested about having this done, make sure you clean the wax out of the ear canal and shave the hair before you go in for a fitting.

Brodie

...so for all of you who say your helmet is too loud, even with your earplugs. It may just be your earplugs causing the problem. Today was the best $65 I have spent in quite some time.
jbh

At $65 you must have gotten just the earplugs. I had a air of custom mould ear speakers from Now Hear This a few years back and they also do a fine job blocking the noise.

I just recently had a second set made by Big Ears but they didn't work out very well, the fitting wasn't right. We ended up getting a new casting made. It turns out that the first time around I had too much hair growing in my ears and that interfered with the casting process.

For those who are interested about having this done, make sure you clean the wax out of the ear canal and shave the hair before you go in for a fitting.

Brodie
Get old fun isn't it? Shaven hair in place's we never heard of! <_<

jbh

Brodie
Yes I had just the earplugs done for $65. But last year I did have the in ear speakers made at much higher cost and those are the ones that don't block as much sound. I have an inquiry into big ear about that right now.

I too have a noisy helmet. I grab those foam ear plugs from Walgreens for a change and discard as necessary then repeat. There are two sizes. Got both to try which one fit best. I found it very effective compared to the ones molded for me but YMMV.

Even though noisy helmets doesn't bother you, you have to wear earplugs to protect your hearing. Once the ringing starts, damage has been done.

[ I had too much hair growing in my ears and that interfered with the casting process.
Brodie
Hair in the ears....Hmmmm. :detective2:

Seeing as how the Busts' 'Shave Your Anus at Home' kits ain't sellin' worth a damn,, I'd better get with R&D and see what type of modifications we can do to help you "old" guys out.

Think I have a couple of used units we can convert... Ya interested?

:jester:

I use these reusable ear plugs. They are soft enough to be comfortable all day, allow me to hear my helmet speakers, keep out wind noise very effectively, and cost a lot less than custom ones. I have used the same pair for years.

^^^^^ I have a set exactly like that, came from the power tools counter at Sears. All day comfort, and if wifey is a bit noisy at night what with snoring or singing in her sleep (she really does that!) I can sleep with them in.

Last edited by a moderator:
[ I had too much hair growing in my ears and that interfered with the casting process.
Brodie

Seeing as how the Busts' 'Shave Your Anus at Home' kits ain't sellin' worth a damn,, I'd better get with R&D and see what type of modifications we can do to help you "old" guys out.

:jester:
Bring those "used units" down here to the French Quarter, in New Orleans, and set up a booth at the Southern

Decadence Festival. I am sure you could sell all that you have.

Don't look for me, I will be at home.

Joe :dribble:

[SIZE=12pt]Speak for yourself, I just had another one of them birthdays - and I'm still 39![/SIZE]

Amazing how that works isn't it.
;)

Only if you sterilize it first!

:bad:

I almost always ride with the ipod on, but still noise just about killed me with the stock or V-Stream full up.

Following someone suggestion here, raised my shield about 2 notches, noise was gone, no buffeting, could hear the engine and keep the ipod turned down more now. Maybe a better helmet would help, but I'm happy with how it's working now.

and certainly quieter than a Harley or GXXR.