No Russell's for me

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think somebody not wanting to buy their product would be pertinent to them. Maybe they have a way to make the seat more visually appealing to the OP and they could also talk with him about being able to hang off with their seat. Rick Mayer address those concerns on his website for potential customers.
Call me crazy.

i jist bought a Corbin and love the comfort and it looks sporty too.
The corbin will allow you the room you need to move around while giving you a lower seat height if your vertically challenged. If your of a "smaller frame", it pans out enough for good coverage. Given the looks of the Bill mayer and russell seats, its easy to see why they would be comfortable for the entire day (i.e. gold wing vs. sport tourer). I ride for hours with this corbin before starting to get sore. At the end of a 8 hour highway ride, i'm not thinking about whether i should have got a different seat, i'm wondering about why i didnt get a wing. there is a small trade-off when going for something a little more asthetic. Hard to beat the looks of this and its pretty darn comfy for the longer rides:

bike_seat001.jpg

bike_seat003.jpg

bike_seat004.jpg

GreyGoose

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of a 8 hour highway ride, i'm not thinking about whether i should have got a different seat, i'm wondering about why i didnt get a wing. there is a small HUGE trade-off when going for something a little more asthetic. Hard to beat the looks of this and its pretty darn comfy for the longer rides:
Fixed it for you. The difference in comfort is anything but minor.

Clearly seats are a very personal, and highly subjective thing. But for me, and many other sportTouring riders I know, longer rides are measured in days, not hours. What my butt feels like after a solid week of day long rides speaks more to my personal needs in a seat.

There is absolutely no need to ride an overweight, boring Old Wing, or other full-on Touring bike when all you really need is some wings on your seat. And I'm pretty sure you couldn't tell the aesthetics of my Russell from your Corbin when we have our asses planted on them. ;)

I've owned Corbins (both the Canyon 1 piece and modular 2 piece) and now own a Russell. Try riding on a Russell for a few weeks and then report back on how much difference in comfort there is.

I considered buying the Corbin but was concerned with the fact that you lose the high saddle position option. I have the Russell now and like it very much. Very comfy for the long haul. Russell is the only seat which has metal side supports built into the foam. They actually help to give good lateral support. As for looks, it kind of grows on you. I think my bike would look funny now if I did not have my Russell seat. I don't think vertically challenged people would like the Day Long saddle too much. Even in the low position it is a bit of a stretch for me to flat foot and I am 6'0" tall. I like the idea of having a 2nd seat for local rides. Might have to look into that.

At the end of a 8 hour highway ride, i'm not thinking about whether i should have got a different seat, i'm wondering about why i didnt get a wing. there is a small HUGE trade-off when going for something a little more asthetic. Hard to beat the looks of this and its pretty darn comfy for the longer rides:
Fixed it for you. The difference in comfort is anything but minor.

Clearly seats are a very personal, and highly subjective thing. But for me, and many other sportTouring riders I know, longer rides are measured in days, not hours. What my butt feels like after a solid week of day long rides speaks more to my personal needs in a seat.

There is absolutely no need to ride an overweight, boring Old Wing, or other full-on Touring bike when all you really need is some wings on your seat. And I'm pretty sure you couldn't tell the aesthetics of my Russell from your Corbin when we have our asses planted on them. ;)

I've owned Corbins (both the Canyon 1 piece and modular 2 piece) and now own a Russell. Try riding on a Russell for a few weeks and then report back on how much difference in comfort there is.
All very good points. My statement should have said "there can be a small trade-off when going for something a little more asthetic (depending on the type of seat you choose)". i would have looked deeper into the russell / mayer option if i wasnt 5"6 with a 29 inch inseam. I felt the corbin was my only real choice and i've owned them in the past. I will say that i was not particularly happy with what i had to go through to finally get the seat i wanted. I went through 6 send backs with corbin before they actually got it close to right. They worked with me throughout the experience , but the attention to detail was just not there untill the end. I would other options more consideration if i hadnt read about the seat height issue. Given my personal and subjective experience, i've spent days in the saddle on this seat and its always the same story (ie first 75% of the day is no problem, then i start to get sore). On the stock seat , it took about an hour and half.

GreyGoose