Nolan N102, like it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had an N102 for over year and 30k+ miles - I would not buy an N102 again!

The build quality is pretty pisspoor, paint chipping (all on its own, not dropped), shield fitment, ventilation, the VPS sun visor (on the N102) is a joke POS requiring removal ASAP, it's noisy, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe N103 is better but I'm not sure... The Nolan support is good though, I called them to order the silly little plastic shield retainer clips and they just sent these to ASAP for free.

If you're looking for a good modular helmet at a competitive price, you might try the new Scorpion EXO-900

I've had an N102 for over year and 30k+ miles - I would not buy an N102 again!The build quality is pretty pisspoor, paint chipping (all on its own, not dropped), shield fitment, ventilation, the VPS sun visor (on the N102) is a joke POS requiring removal ASAP, it's noisy, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe N103 is better but I'm not sure... The Nolan support is good though, I called them to order the silly little plastic shield retainer clips and they just sent these to ASAP for free.

If you're looking for a good modular helmet at a competitive price, you might try the new Scorpion EXO-900
I tried on the Scorpion EXO 900, did not like it...seemed very cheaply made for $279.00. I would rather stick with HJC. Not shure what I'll do. I did read the review of the EXO 900 on Webbike world already. I thought the Nolan was a better made helmet and priced at $229.95 is a better deal.

Just for comparison purposes have you tried the N103, it does seem better, but i've only tried it once, very briefly. Interesting to hear your opinion about the EXO-900, i was planning on checking it out, as it did seem good from the reviews on WBW, Advrider, etc.

I have a Nolan 102. I found I didn't like it to well. The visor was constantly closing on me when I didn't want it to.

I've had the N-102 for the last year and change and am generally happy. I am pleased with the quality and have had no issues with chips in the paint. It is a bit heavier and louder than a fixed full-face, but I expected this in exchange for the convenience of the modular feature. The VPS visor works fine but the N-103's internal style looks like a better mousetrap. I haven't tried the N-103. With the chin deflector removed I get plenty of airflow and find this helmet comfortable to wear in warm/hot weather, even in the misery of Alabama summers. The pinlock no-fog shield works well and I've had no leaks in the mild to moderate rain I've ridden through.

I also have the NCOM Basic and Bluetooth module installed for cellphone/gps/sat radio use and love it. I used the Cardo Scala setup previously but Nolan's setup works great and is flush-fit.

My main reason for buying the N-102 was that it fit me properly, the fit/finish/quality were a close second and price was third. I tried KBC, Shoei Multitec, HJC and several other modulars for fit prior to settling on the Nolan.

Good luck.

I have a N102 and a N103 the 102 I have about 50,000 miles on with no problems, it's starting to get a little lose. The 103 I only have about 6,000 miles on with it but I deffinetly like the interior sun shade on the 103 better then the exterior one on the 102. You can leave the clear shield up when it's hot and still have some eye protection.

I have a N102 and a N103 the 102 I have about 50,000 miles on with no problems, it's starting to get a little lose. The 103 I only have about 6,000 miles on with it but I deffinetly like the interior sun shade on the 103 better then the exterior one on the 102. You can leave the clear shield up when it's hot and still have some eye protection.
Could you please elaborate on any other likes/dislikes with the N103?

I have the N-102, and while not as good as my other helmet (Shoei RF1000) I find I wear the Nolan more, for a number of reasons:

I like the convenience of the modular for "off the bike" activities. For shorter rides it is great. I find the Nolan is better in the wind than my old HJC CL-Max. Fit and finish on my 102 is pretty good. I ride more 2-up lately, and fitting the Autocom headset components into the N-102 was a breeze. It is certainly quieter than the HJC, by a long shot. Dislikes? Ventilation isn't great, I find I need to crack the visor slightly all the time to avoid fogging. Finding parts is difficult up here in Canuckistan since the national distributor is (apparently) a jackass and none of the dealers want to do business with him.

That being said, when I head out for 3 Flags in a couple of weeks, I'll be wearing the Shoei and leaving the Nolan on the shelf. For all-day comfort, quiet, etc, I've yet to find a better helmet for me than that RF1000.

YMMV, etc, etc, etc

Griff

I've got the N102 as well. Fit and finish are top notch. It's a bit louder then a full faced, but that's the trade off for a modular setup. The anti-fog screen works excellent as does the sun shade. Overall I'm very happy with it.

the CIMA guys who are the USA importer/supporter are first class. I've had my share of Nolan issues but these guys always stand up, send me parts, what ever.
I concur ^^^^.

I got them to bring in a larger helmet (XXL) to the U.S. when they first started marketing a modular hemlet here ('80s..?). I talked with them directly and they responded quickly.

I also attended a m/c show (about that time) when their vendor was displaying their (new, then) modular helmet. I asked him about the availability of the small plastic parts used by the helmet and shield mechanisms and their (obvious, to me) frailty. He then proceeded to grab each of the (supposedly frail) plastic pieces and rip them off the helmet -- no damage ensued -- they popped back on, good as new.

I was impressed....! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another N-102 wearer here (previous helmet was an Arai Quantum f), mine is pre-NCom. I have worn it on both my Gen I and Gen II bikes; with a stock windshield the N-102 is much noisier on the Gen II (earplugs take care of this issue). I have replaced the face shield and VPS shield a couple of times, no issues there. I do like having the VPS Shield, as it works well as a Sun visor on my commute route. The ventilation on it is not as good as my Arai was, during the summer here in Vegas I usually keep the shield cracked open to improve airflow.

The removable liner is another plus, and easily washed and replaced.

I like my N102, it just so heavy, same with the EXO 700 and 900 and 1000.

If heavy doesn't bother you the EXO 1000 is pretty decent. With a long oval head I like the Shark RSI's and I've been wearing a RSI for two years now. My neck does not get sore even on 1,000 mile days. Try to get the lightest helmet you can find and you'll probably like it.

Last edited by a moderator: