Nolan N104

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snackbauer

Reaction score
I've been wanting a flip-up helmet ever since I bought the FJR. I can't really snack wearing a full face helmet, and 220 mile stretches without food is punishment for me. I tried HJC's offerings, and the Nolan N90 and found them to be too round, causing enough forehead pressure to be unbearable. But the N104 fits perfectly. The noise level is about the same as my HJC CL15 that I've had for a few years. The pinlock shield is incredible at totally eliminating fogging. The internal sun visor could be better designed but I'm getting used to ignoring the cutout for the nose, at first it was distracting. The price was a bit high at $324.29, but it'll most likely be my last helmet so I thought I'd go first class for once.

Great to hear. I've been looking at the 104 for a couple months now and settled on a used 100e to get a feel for the sizing of the Nolan. It seems to be a great helmet and I'm still considering the 104 in the next couple months.

If I could say I had one complaint of the 100e it would be the fact that the faceshield leaks like a sieve. Any word on how the 104 holds up under constant rain?

Thanks for sharing!

-Brian

Great to hear. I've been looking at the 104 for a couple months now and settled on a used 100e to get a feel for the sizing of the Nolan. It seems to be a great helmet and I'm still considering the 104 in the next couple months.

If I could say I had one complaint of the 100e it would be the fact that the faceshield leaks like a sieve. Any word on how the 104 holds up under constant rain?

Thanks for sharing!

-Brian
I got a N104 about a month ago, and had the chance to check it in rain. No leaks, sealed very well, and no fog issues with the pin lock. Having said that...I come from a past of Shoei helmets. Currently have the Multitec, X11, X12, RF1100 and Qwest. I am probably going to try the new Shoei Neotec. The Nolan is a good helmet, but noisy, and has a "cheap" feel compared to the Shoeis. The interior is not as plush, the exterior feels too "plasticy", and the mechanisms seem lighter duty. However, the Nolan is quite a bit cheaper to purchase than the Shoeis. Just my $.02 worth, your experience may vary. :)

Dad and I both use the Nolan N103. We did not get the 104 because we already had the Scala Rider comm system and the sunvisor mechanism is located where the Scala clamps to the helmet.

I can agree with SouthernCruizer, the Shoei is a noticeably nicer helmet. There is a price difference and with the helmets side by side, you can see it. There is more difference between my previous HJC helmets and the Nolan than there is between the Nolan and the Shoei. This is one instance where if you set them side by side, you can see that you get what you pay for.

Regarding rain proofing, Dad and I both rode in the rain from breakfast to lunch on our last trip, not a drop inside either Nolan. No dampness in the liner, nothing. The shorter rides around home in the rain have never produced a leak either. The pinlock fog shield works very well at preventing fog but starts to get scratched along the upper edge from visor movement.

It is much noisier than I expected it to be. On my ST1300 at 60+mph it sounds like there are two small whips attached to the sides of the helmet. On Dad's FJR I don't hear this at all. After experimenting on both bikes I found that the higher windshield on the ST put the wind at exactly the right level to cause this. If I sat very straight up in the seat, I was above this windflow. Or, I could raise the windshield like a barn door...

The QuickLock or whatever you want to call that thing that Nolan uses in place of the D-rings is worth lots of $$$ to me. I can connect and disconnect it with my riding gloves on.

The sunvisor is much better than the HJC I had before. This sunvisor is essential because I work 12 hour shifts. Whether I work days or nights, one of my rides is in the dark, one in the light. No tinted visor for me.

Since each head is different, well you already know that song...

If you are going to get a Nolan Helmet, confirm you sizing needs and here is their contact info:

Nolan USA 866-243-5638 CST

I also have a N102 Large but it is Rounder in shape than the N104 which is Rated SN (Slightly Narrow).

I called Nolan USA 866-243-5638 before buying and they suggested the XL version (which is also the Larger Size Shell Version) and they were correct.

I tried on the N104 at The Helmet Shop in Daytona a few weeks ago. I like it better than my N103 - but I have full comm in the 103 so no new one for me yet.

Nolans are good middle of the road helmets IMO. Can't vouch for the 104's sound level, but on the 103 it's a bit loud I think, and I've had issues with little bits that seem cheap - like the cheek pads come unsnapped constantly, the tinted shield has to be pushed up vs using the little lever gizmo, but overall a decent helmet for the money.

I hope the 104 has addressed some of this.

I have the n-95. I agree it's good but feels cheap in places. The nice thing about Nolan helmets is that in the uk sharp helmet test the Nolan's always stay closed in an impact. Not so for most of the brands. I'll stick with Nolan for that and deal with the bit more noise.

I tried on the N104 at The Helmet Shop in Daytona a few weeks ago. I like it better than my N103 - but I have full comm in the 103 so no new one for me yet.

Nolans are good middle of the road helmets IMO. Can't vouch for the 104's sound level, but on the 103 it's a bit loud I think, and I've had issues with little bits that seem cheap - like the cheek pads come unsnapped constantly, the tinted shield has to be pushed up vs using the little lever gizmo, but overall a decent helmet for the money.

Now that's interesting. I was at that same shop at Biketoberfest and tried on several helmets including the Neotech and the N104. Of all the helmets I tried on that day, the AGV felt the most comfortable, but it was REALLY pricey. I really liked the Neotec, but didn't buy anything that day as the funds were low. You were right about the quality of the Shoei.

Gary

darksider #44

The nice thing about Nolan helmets is that in the uk sharp helmet test the Nolan's always stay closed in an impact. Not so for most of the brands. I'll stick with Nolan for that
Dad crashed his FJR in 2008 while wearing a Nolan N102. He hit a gravel ditch bank flying backwards, shoulder blades first. The helmet hit on the very back and scuffed the paint up pretty good with rock indentations in the surface of the helmet. The helmet did what it was supposed to do, it kept him alive. The mechanism stayed closed. The mechanism was slightly distorted but the front would still flip open and closed, everything still worked. He was hurt but picked up the bike, rode it out of the ditch and had all the pieces gathered in a pile next to his bike when I got there. I cannot think of a better endorsement for Nolan Helmets than that. In fact, that is why I bought mine.

Now that's interesting. I was at that same shop at Biketoberfest and tried on several helmets including the Neotech and the N104. Of all the helmets I tried on that day, the AGV felt the most comfortable, but it was REALLY pricey. I really liked the Neotec, but didn't buy anything that day as the funds were low. You were right about the quality of the Shoei.

Gary

darksider #44
LOL I was actually there twice as I had to order a new visor for the 103, then went back a day or two later to pick it up. Too bad we didn't run into each other! I would've noticed a FJR out front. I even ran into a bartender friend of mine - he was getting a chain and some other bits for his very nice '94 ZX-11.

I only tried on the N104 as I was curious - in fact was there with DaveB from Orlando the first time and he was trying on everything. I think I'll stick with the Nolans; I'm not totally happy with them as noted above, but they are a good helmet for the money. And in fairness, mine has seen some use - been to the cross country a half dozen times or so plus lots of smaller trips here and there (Michigan 4-5 times).

I did pull the pinlock out of mine; it scratches up the visor unless you replace both constantly (which I don't). The new helmets have a little silicone type bead around the pinlock that is suppose to correct that. The salesman wasn't sure if the 103 replacements had it, so ordered both but only took the visor when the PL didn't have the bead.

Gary

darksider #44
LOL I was actually there twice as I had to order a new visor for the 103, then went back a day or two later to pick it up. Too bad we didn't run into each other! I would've noticed a FJR out front. I even ran into a bartender friend of mine - he was getting a chain and some other bits for his very nice '94 ZX-11.

I only tried on the N104 as I was curious - in fact was there with DaveB from Orlando the first time and he was trying on everything. I think I'll stick with the Nolans; I'm not totally happy with them as noted above, but they are a good helmet for the money. And in fairness, mine has seen some use - been to the cross country a half dozen times or so plus lots of smaller trips here and there (Michigan 4-5 times).

I did pull the pinlock out of mine; it scratches up the visor unless you replace both constantly (which I don't). The new helmets have a little silicone type bead around the pinlock that is suppose to correct that. The salesman wasn't sure if the 103 replacements had it, so ordered both but only took the visor when the PL didn't have the bead.
Yeah, I was up there on Sat afternoon with Screwball Dave and my Beemer bud, Mark. I tried on a slew of helmets that day. Know what frustrates me? Salesman that insist that the medium is the right size for my fat head because it fits tightly "enough" according to their judgement. Good grief. I don't want a vise grip on me. My face feels like a raisin after all that squishing from the helmet. I prefer something that fits, not something that grips.

Still looking.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator: