Non AE owners past and present

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manual clutch for me as long as I am physically able to use the clutch and shift lever. Same goes for my cars and trucks.

It looks like Yamaha has done an excellent job with the AE and I would much rather ride that than not ride at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a pro computer geek, I thought it was "neat nifty keen" but I took one look at the chapter in the service manual and decided it wasn't for me.
One of the reasons I'm riding a bike is that the ABS on my Camaro tried to kill me, and NOBODY could fix it until the brakes locked and put me into a guardrail. My bikes I can keep in-repair and fix myself. I'm doing the 50K mile valve check, brake fluid change, coolant change, new chain/sprockets, etc on my SV-650 right now.

I'm not real happy about the ABS and FI on the new bikes. The FI isn't well sorted on ANY bike I've ridden, but this is partially an EPA problem. My carbureted SV-650 drives 10x better than the fuel-injected ones.

I look at the ABS system and shudder to think if it ever has any issues, or if I **** up a fluid change and let it go dry, or if I ever need to rebuild a caliper. I'd much druther have an FJR w/o ABS.
Wanna trade? ('04 w/o ABS) ;)
Funny, I had the same thought in my head Mark.

Sure will be glad when the snow thaws so we can actually use a clutch instead instead of participating in a silly thread like this. Dog pile begins here. :D
LMAO

Would it not follow to reason that they are the most informed people regarding the AE?? Hence the most reliable ones to ask for an honest opinion of the long term satisfaction?? <_<
Yes. They are the ones that can speak to their level of satisfaction with the feature's performance. But they aren't the only ones to ask about the value of the feature. That requires a wider canvass.

Asking someone who has already made a decision not to if they would seems redundant. They have made their decision. Unless they own a GEN I their decision is obvious. And very likely the right one for them
Quite right. Therefore someone that has already made the decision to buy an AE would have the exact same bias. ;)

Perhaps. But if I were unhappy with my AE I would say so. I have said negative things about it on this forum

A broader canvass is someone who has owned a non AE motorcycle and an AE motorcycle. Even if not an FJR

BTW Fred.... I was pullin yours and everyone else's chain... I don't take myself that seriously..... :clapping: :D

58 degrees tomarrow. I think I will have an Eye problem tomarrow (cannot see going to work) :yahoo:

I fit the definition of someone who has had both type FJR's as does Turbo Dave, and I'm guessing a few others. At this point I'm kinda curious as to what made those who have the AE deceide to go that route? The people with the physical reasons are obvious, but what about the rest? I loved my 04, and have no physical reasons to keep me from operating the manual clutch, but in my case, I just like new technology. I work with it every day, and I just like trying new stuff. I was willing to take a chance on it, and if it wasn't for me, well, it wasn't the first and certainly wasn't going to be the last bike I ever bought. I understand and respect the opinions of those who see it differently than I do, but hell, I remember long ago when I thought water cooling was sacrilege, much less ECM's or fuel injection. obviously I've evolved a bit from my youth.

No matter what, I believe that that innovation and choice is good. I think Yamaha is to be applauded for taking the risk of bringing this choice to market. I doubt any of us would want to go back to having bikes as they were 20 or more years ago as what we had to chose from today. In a way, simply owning an FJR in either version makes all of us pretty accepting of all the advances and new technology that goes into todays motorcycles. I will own another FJR, and if the AE is still offered, I'll get another one. If not, I'll go back to being manual.

At this point I'm kinda curious as to what made those who have the AE deceide to go that route?
For me it was past experience with my Honda Quads. I've owned 3 that use a push button shift. The first was the Forman 400ES (Electronic Shift) Very similar to the FJR in that is is a standard Manual Tranny with an electronic shifter. The shift is really just a motor attached to the shift linkage that phisically moves the foot shift for you. The stub for the shift is still present on the motor and the foot shifter is included in your tool kit in case of electroninc shift failure. I wish the AE did the same. My current quads are Honda Rubicons that also use push button shifting but in a much more complicated tranny. I was sold after the first Honda. When I shopped for the FJR I just figured if it was anything like my experience with Honda then it was worth the risk. Physically, I'm 5'7 210 and can lift a house, but I still appreciate the never sore left hand when driving in traffic.

...58 degrees tomarrow. I think I will have an Eye problem tomarrow (cannot see going to work) :yahoo:
I "see" that you figger you might be able to squint hard enough to be able to ride, though. :)

Yep!!!!

I got the AE because it was the only one I could find that day and i decided I was going to get one that day. Had it been an "A" model that is what I would own right now.. It was random chance plain and simple.... i love it tho..

Last edited by a moderator: