North Florida getting chilly - Installing a Sargent heated seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo621

Reaction score
Getting ready to hook up the Sargent World Sport heated seat on the FJR. Here in northeast Florida we do have a winter season and have had some chilly weather for over the years. It'll come in handy in the North Carolina mountains too. Just this August while we were there, the temps dipped into the 40's in the morning and a heated seat would have been nice if I had hooked it up.

I've added some items to the bike since I picked it up in July. I decided to create a separate harness to handle the power to the devices. The circuit runs with a 5 amp fuse. Before I hack into the accessory harness I'm thinking about running a separate harness for the seat. This way, if the seat fuse blows then I won't lose my accessories.

The animated gif below shows my current accessory harness, the new seat circuit and the combined set. I had picked up a 12v relay to run all my accessories and have them turn off with the key and it works great. It's nice to know you'll have a battery when you get done with lunch on the road. The Sargent Heat Kit comes with another relay and connector so it looks like a pretty simple installation. I'll use the positive lead I've got set up already to trigger the new relay.

The location of the controller routing of the cable is another big part of the installation. There's plenty of cable to work with and the plan is to have all of the connectors from the controller, relay and power supply happen under the seat.

harness_ani.gif

Getting chilly here in central NC too, way too cold for me! Guess I'm just a wuss. 27* now, 17* by morning. Brrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!! And looking forward to "wintery mix" tomorrow night, then rain, then maybe snow. I've pretty much decided to just put her up 'til March......

Nice job with the accessory relays. Although I already have a small fuse block installed on my '09, a separate relay makes sense for small(er) loads up front.

Enjoy the new (hot) seat!

--G

Starting to get a bit cool up here, -37 deg F couple days ago. Might have to dig out my winter gloves. Otherwise when it's not snowing, it's pretty nice out.

Well as soon as I get a lane cleared I might just go for a ride....

DSCF0679.jpg

Well as soon as I get a lane cleared I might just go for a ride....
DSCF0679.jpg
Damn it to Hell Rob, we Southwesterners have told you before: If you're going to post up that white shit you need to mark it NSFZ, Not Safe For Zonies eh!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got up this morning and it was below 70. I was freezing. This cold weather is killing me.
Gary

darksider #44
I here you, Gary. I'm going to wash and wax the bike tomorrow. After this wet stuff passes though it's going to be gorgeous for the next week. It sucks living in Florida this time of year.... :))

Here's a link to a video about the heated seat installation. This is part one, the planning and pieces of the installation. I've got my accessories on one circuit and the seat on another. To me… getting the electrical part of this right was the bigger part of project. I wanted the seat on a separate circuit in case I blew a fuse on the road… didn't want to lose the GPS if the seat went down.

Watch the video

video_screen.png

Oh yeah… finished the seat install just in time. Still plenty of riding to be done in North Florida. 50's and 60's for the next couple of days and then back into the high 70's for the weekend! I'll be warm ; )