Northern Tour Following WCR in Sept

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sportsguy brings up a good point about road construction. Hwy 97 (the one that will bring you into Prince George) has been under improvement for some time. Widening the entire thing to 4 lanes, not 2. My daughter and I went up to Ft. St. John at the end of last summer and spent a lot of time in construction delays along that route.

https://www.drivebc.ca/ is your friend

Thx all. Barb - I will give that link a good workout.

Steve - I have looked at a couple of routes that would knock some time off but didn't want to sacrifice ride quality. The old I want my cake and eat it too. Your idea about reversing the route and ending at WCR is resonating the more I think about it. It adds a holiday which helps with time off. It also puts the ferry on the back end of the trip when you we would be more tired and in need of a good break. Going slow through Banff and Jasper will keep the saddle sore down as well. Then finish up with our riding buddies in Parksville and an easy ride home from there. No idea if the ferry schedule supports this plan, I will have to check. Might have to ride downhill to Bella Coola. That would be fun, but probably better to ride up than down.

Off to see the ferry schedule and to build another route. - David

As I look at it we would get off the boat about 11:00 Thursday night (more likly midnight), I don't know how safe it is running 220 miles at night!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????

I'm not thinking that is to safe, I'm sure that Island has a ton of deer! I guess that we could book a room in Port Hardy then ride down Saturday in the AM.

MCRIDER007

I'll tell the story about my seinor parking adventure another time.

Already in the plan to stay in Port Hardy that night, doesn't make sense to do it any other way. Ferry schedule looks perfect though. A Wedensday all day cruise through the inside passage. Get up on Thursday in Port Hardy and a leisurely trip to Parksville. Still working on the beginning of the route.

Ok, revamped route which I'll call option 3 from here on out.

Option3.jpg

Would go something like:

Wednesday the 1st, Home to Lillooet via Sea to Sky (319)

Thursday the 2nd, to Golden (329) (most of this day in the parks starting with Revelstoke mid- morning)

Friday the 3rd, to Grande Cache (322) (all day in the parks)

Saturday the 4th, to Buckinghorse River (367)

Sunday the 5th, to Watson Lake, YT (430)

Monday the 6th, to Hyder, Alaska (411)

Tuesday the 7th, to Prince Rupert (290)

Wednesday the 8th, all day ferry from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy (320) motel in Port Hardy

Thursday the 9th, leisurely trip to Parksville and start of WCR (220)

Friday the 10th, WCR in Parksville

Saturday the 11th, WCR in Parksville

Sunday the 12th, Home

Last edited by a moderator:
MCRIDER007I'll tell the story about my seinor parking adventure another time.
I'm looking forward to it since I have heard so many rumors how you managed to get out of the handcuffs, hot wire the FJR, and sneak out of town. :clapping:

Thursday the 2nd, to Golden (361) (most of this day in the parks starting with Revelstoke mid- morning)Friday the 3rd, to Grande Cache (322) (all day in the parks)

I think you have stated the distance on Thursday in kilometers, that is a pretty short day, and I am not sure what you plan to do in those parks except ride through. If you want to spend the second night in Golden then you could shorten the first day.

I have never been to Grande Cache and don't remember Buckinghorse River. Did you already find motels?

Thursday the 2nd, to Golden (361) (most of this day in the parks starting with Revelstoke mid- morning)Friday the 3rd, to Grande Cache (322) (all day in the parks)

I think you have stated the distance on Thursday in kilometers, that is a pretty short day, and I am not sure what you plan to do in those parks except ride through. If you want to spend the second night in Golden then you could shorten the first day.

I have never been to Grande Cache and don't remember Buckinghorse River. Did you already find motels?

Well..you said something about riding a tram, so I built in tram riding time. The sketchy stretch is definitely the bit getting from Jasper to Watson Lake. There is a whole lot of nothing in there and Fort Nelson is too far for one leg. Thus Buckinghorse River that at least somebody claimed had a motel. See clicky for a few more details. Grande Cache is giant, looks to have 3 or 4 streets so must have a motel.

You are right on the Kamloops to Golden leg, I will correct in the other post. I would agree, shorten day 1 and stay somewhere a little sexier than Kamloops.

Well..you said something about riding a tram, so I built in tram riding time. The sketchy stretch is definitely the bit getting from Jasper to Watson Lake. There is a whole lot of nothing in there and Fort Nelson is too far for one leg. Thus Buckinghorse River that at least somebody claimed had a motel.
Where did you build in tram riding time? The tram is in Jasper and you are not stopping there. The most scenic part of your entire trip will be Golden to Jasper (which includes Lake Louise) and there are many places to stop, take pictures, and short walks. You could spend most of the day on that portion. You should reconsider adding a day and spending a night at Jasper followed by Dawson Creek and Fort Nelson (both of which have very good restaurants).

ahhh....I didn't list stops, just nights. I'm assuming lots of stops here and there. Maybe I don't understand though, not having been there. I thought the Tram was like 7 minutes up, mess around a little, ride back down. A couple of hours break from riding and then back to it. It's like 200 miles to the city of Jasper from Golden, so be there for a really long lunch break, tram ride, picture taking, small hike, whatever. Then maybe 130 miles on to Grande Cache for the night. What am I missing? Grande Cache only because the eastern route cuts a lot time off as compared to going through Prince George.

$30 a head for the tram? really? To see mountains?

Looks like Roy and I are gonna head to SWFOG after WCR and catch some of speed week at Bonneville on the way thru.....perfect timing....

R

As I look at it we would get off the boat about 11:00 Thursday night (more likly midnight), I don't know how safe it is running 220 miles at night!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????? I'm not thinking that is to safe, I'm sure that Island has a ton of deer! I guess that we could book a room in Port Hardy then ride down Saturday in the AM.

MCRIDER007

I'll tell the story about my seinor parking adventure another time.
stay in Pt McNeill....https://www.port-mcneill-accommodation.com/

Black Bear resort

trust me

ahhh....I didn't list stops, just nights. I'm assuming lots of stops here and there. Maybe I don't understand though, not having been there. I thought the Tram was like 7 minutes up, mess around a little, ride back down. A couple of hours break from riding and then back to it. It's like 200 miles to the city of Jasper from Golden, so be there for a really long lunch break, tram ride, picture taking, small hike, whatever. Then maybe 130 miles on to Grande Cache for the night. What am I missing? Grande Cache only because the eastern route cuts a lot time off as compared to going through Prince George.
$30 a head for the tram? really? To see mountains?
The tram ride and view is quite spectacular but I don't think it is worth $29 a person if you don't have the time to do it and it would probably take a couple of hours. The ride through the Canadian Rockies to Jasper is scenic overload with many must do stops. I have done it many times and usually take most of a day to do the 190 miles from Banff to Jasper. You can ride straight through to Jasper in about 5 hours but you probably will regret not having more time to visit Lake Louise, the Falls, and the other lookouts. You really should not be in a hurry on this leg but you can always go back and take your time next year.

One other thing to consider is that by having an extra day built into the front part of the schedule you get to have shorter riding days and also will have the ability to do a double day to catch up if you get behind. That is really important on this route because the Prince Rupert ferry runs every other day. However, if you get behind, you would always have the option with your current schedule of skipping Watson Lake and going directly from Dawson Creek to Hyder/Prince Rupert. You could also make up a day at the very end by skipping Hyder. Watson Lake to Prince Rupert would be a long 600 mile ride, some of it night, but its doable.

Last edited by a moderator: