Not ATGATT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buf2phx

Reaction score
Hi all. I want to start by confessing that I do not ride ATGATT. The only constatnt is my Shoei, and gloves. I'll even admit to riding in shorts and a t-shirt quite often. My question to the forum is this:can someone suggest a jacket/pant combo that won't roast me alive on a 110 degree day? I know all the reasons I should be ATGATT, but I just can't bring myself to put the leather on when it's hot out. If this gear also happened to be waterproof, with removable liners for when it cools off, that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

<dons flame retardant suit> :D

Hi all. I want to start by confessing that I do not ride ATGATT. The only constatnt is my Shoei, and gloves. I'll even admit to riding in shorts and a t-shirt quite often. My question to the forum is this:can someone suggest a jacket/pant combo that won't roast me alive on a 110 degree day? I know all the reasons I should be ATGATT, but I just can't bring myself to put the leather on when it's hot out. If this gear also happened to be waterproof, with removable liners for when it cools off, that would be awesome.Thanks in advance,

Mike

Mike,

When I rode my FJR in PHX in the heat it was with a Joe Rocket mesh or First Gear MeshTex jacket, wicking material t-shirt and/or cooling vest underneath, First Gear Mesh gloves draggin jeans and Joe Rocket mesh pants and Oxtar boots. Soak the vest every hour (min) and you'll survive the 110+ temps when trying to reach the A/C at home from a ride up in the Matazaals or White Mtns. HTH.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this gear also happened to be waterproof, with removable liners for when it cools off, that would be awesome.
From a guy who regularly wears a flame-retardant suit and knows a little about protective apparel, look no further.

Click

word.gif

You didn't mention inexpensive. It ain't, but it pales in comparison to the cost of skin grafts....

Hi all. I want to start by confessing that I do not ride ATGATT. The only constatnt is my Shoei, and gloves. I'll even admit to riding in shorts and a t-shirt quite often. My question to the forum is this:can someone suggest a jacket/pant combo that won't roast me alive on a 110 degree day? I know all the reasons I should be ATGATT, but I just can't bring myself to put the leather on when it's hot out. If this gear also happened to be waterproof, with removable liners for when it cools off, that would be awesome.Thanks in advance,

Mike

Mike, my normal riding gear first is Cycle Port mesh. Can't be beat for quality or performance. And did I say quality. Is pricey but best IMO especially on a trip.

Now for gear that is as close as any to wearing no gear at all I use Bohn riding gear. This gear is quality and the armor doesn't move around. The best part they can be worn under regular street cloths. The AirTex shirt and Adventure shorts or pants with knee armor included. 110 degrees is something personally I don't want to ride in period but if necessary all the gear mentioned above will work.

Also I use a CoolVest soaked in the fridge the night before for the days you speak. Hope you find the right stuff. Take care and good luck, PM. <><

Shorts

Airtex Shirt

Cool Vests

From a guy who regularly wears a flame-retardant suit and knows a little about protective apparel, look no further.
Click
Well now that's interesting... first time I've seen Google fall off the face of the earth. I get this:

Safari can’t open the page “https://www.google.com/” because it can’t find the server “www.google.com”.

That's sure not going to help their fight against Bing!

+1000 on the Motoport/Cycleport, the best, period...Get the Kevlar mesh

+1 on the cooling vest. I commute year-round here in Vegas, and it makes a big difference on triple digit days!

Gunny on the Cycleport Kevlar mesh. Flows huge amounts of air. Quality, comfort, and protection. The other textile stuff pales by comparison.

cycleport and aerostich is real good stuff and a premium price but sometimes you get what you pay for

biggest bang for the buck and what my poor sef uses is (on sale at New Enough):

First Gear Mesh Pants

Look below the ad and definitely purchase the CE hip and knee pads to add to the pant's pockets for upgraded armor as I did

First Gear Mesh Jacket

you also need some good over the ankles boots - I like SIDI, but they ain't cheap; many wear tactical boots which are reasonably priced

cycleport and aerostich is real good stuff and a premium price but sometimes you get what you pay for...
and sometimes you get nylon mesh fabric melted onto your skin and then the insurance company pays for your care, hopefully....

I had a really bad run-in with the owner of Cycleport / Motoport so I can't recommend his business -- but the gear is really, really good. If you are one of the lucky ones who don't have a customer service issue you might be fine. Motoport's styling and patterns trend towards the average American-sized person, so if you are really thin and have long monkey arms like me you may not be happy with the sizing -- jackets in particular. I spent a lot of money sending my semi-custom jacket back and forth for alterations before throwing in the towel.

I wear Rev'It gear now because it's a happy medium between something that fits me, is safe, and comfortable. I wear the Turbine jacket and pants. It's quite a bit less than the Motoport, and more comfortable. It does not flow as much air as the kevlar mesh pants, and your shear/tear strength will be higher with Motoport. However, as long as you don't suffer a fabric tear the material used on the Turbine pants will do better in a slide, especially on the ceramic coated impact/slide areas. Kevlar is not very good at abrasion resistance, which is why Wayne blends his kevlar with other materials. I feel just as safe with the Rev'It Turbine pants as I do with the Motoport kevlar air mesh pants.

For commuting the Motoport pants are ingenious. I wish there was another manufacturer's pant that had a similar design.

Sorry for the derail, but you asked for a recommendation. If you luck out and have a typical American body, go for Motoport. If you are of athletic or trim build, try Rev'It.

If neither fits your budget, report back and I'll give you other suggestions. Teknic's SuperVent Pro is a really good jacket for the money.

Ok, based on price, I'm liking the Tourmaster Intake 2 mesh jacket, and Tourmaster Venture Air mesh pants. The Motoport stuff looks great, but is it really worth 3x the price? Does anyone have a link to a good cooling vest? Haven't been able to find one yet, though I just started looking.

Thanks for the input so far.

Mike

Ok, based on price, I'm liking the Tourmaster Intake 2 mesh jacket, and Tourmaster Venture Air mesh pants. The Motoport stuff looks great, but is it really worth 3x the price? Does anyone have a link to a good cooling vest? Haven't been able to find one yet, though I just started looking.Thanks for the input so far.

Mike
I bought this one from CycleGear and like it.

Check out the tourmaster Intake Air Jacket. Tourmaster also makes a few pants that will match up to the intake air.
That's what I wear in Florida. Keep away from the Cycleport stuff.

I had a really bad run-in with the owner of Cycleport / Motoport so I can't recommend his business -- but the gear is really, really good.
+1!! I'll never buy Cycleport again, which is sad, because I'd love to replace my jacket.