Not ATGATT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have a cool vest, use it all the time in the summer.

While I do wear a textile jacket, IMO there is no better protection then leather. With the modern one or two-piece outfits, they have great arm, elbow, knee, and shin protection. Add the pucks and they really help out in abrasion and getting banged up in general. I just can't find a well vented leather outfit with vents I can open or close.

Ok, based on price, I'm liking the Tourmaster Intake 2 mesh jacket, and Tourmaster Venture Air mesh pants. The Motoport stuff looks great, but is it really worth 3x the price? Does anyone have a link to a good cooling vest? Haven't been able to find one yet, though I just started looking.Thanks for the input so far.

Mike

Link to how poorly Tourmaster mesh stood up to my sub-25 mph get-off last year. Ya gets what ya pays for...

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...04530&st=20

The Motoport stuff looks great, but is it really worth 3x the price?
Ask MadMike or the police sergeant who went down at 75 mph and walked away. I love mine, and could never wear anything less, but haven't been able to test its pavement surfing abilities yet....

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't speak for how it holds up in an off....

but when it's warm I wear Draggin Jeans (ones made in Oz). Underneath I wear motocross style knee armor (two straps around the calf). I have some other knee armor but find the MX stuff the best.

(minor write up locally here)

The biggest thing it's missing is hip armor (has kevlar). I haven't yet purchased, but will get a size bigger on the pants and wear the Forcefield shorts, which I have already. I think Draggin has some offerings for hip armor as well, but likely won't get it since forcefield is sorted.

Does anyone have a link to a good cooling vest? Haven't been able to find one yet, though I just started looking.
Info on Cooling Vests

I just purchased THIS ONE on a few recommendations here to use the crystal technology which holds water for days, not hours. Today was triple digits temps (with lotsa humidity which slow down the effects of evap) and I was good to go. Would have been ill (my meds don't go well with heat) without the vest out in this weather down here. I am very happy with it's performance and it's price.

if ya do a google search on "cooling vest site:fjrforum.com

Hope this helps

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Does anyone have a link to a good cooling vest? Haven't been able to find one yet, though I just started looking.
Info on Cooling Vests

I just purchased THIS ONE on a few recommendations here to use the crystal technology which holds water for days, not hours. Today was triple digits temps (with lotsa humidity which slow down the effects of evap) and I was good to go. Would have been ill (my meds don't go well with heat) without the vest out in this weather down here. I am very happy with it's performance and it's price.

Hope this helps

Mike in Nawlins'
I have the above mentioned cooling vest and it holds water well, but if you're a slender person and not of typical american figure, you'll find issues keeping the cooling vest against your inner layer shirt and skin where it can actually cool.

All in all, it works great and takes a day and a half of desert riding (humidity 8-15%) before the thing dries out inside of a roadcrafter suit. Kept things tolerable in the 110+ Las Vegas summers that I commuted in for four years.

Info on Cooling Vests

Hope this helps

Mike in Nawlins'
I bought the same one Mike. I am anxiously awaiting its arrival along with the neck bandanna.

My biggest fear with the Motoport stuff is fit issues. I've read about more than a few of em. Plus the liner seems ridiculously expensive. I can understand the Kevlar being pricey, but $189 for a liner?!?!? I like the look of the Cortech GX Air 2, and leather in the impact areas seems like a wise idea. Probably end up changing my mind again before I actually buy something.

Thanks for all the input! Keep it coming.

Mike

My biggest fear with the Motoport stuff is fit issues.
You could send a good-fitting shirt and pair of pants for them to use as a guide. My wife's jacket and my pants did not fit, even after being measured, but they made it right.

Plus the liner seems ridiculously expensive. I can understand the Kevlar being pricey, but $189 for a liner?!?!?
You could use your favorite good-fitting rain gear under the mesh, but anything good that's waterproof and breathable is going to cost something, and Cycleport's liners are lifetime warranteed.

Ok, based on price, I'm liking the Tourmaster Intake 2 mesh jacket, and Tourmaster Venture Air mesh pants. The Motoport stuff looks great, but is it really worth 3x the price? Does anyone have a link to a good cooling vest? Haven't been able to find one yet, though I just started looking.Thanks for the input so far.

Mike
Someone linked to this product awhile back.

I have no experience with it, but it looks "cool"

https://www.coolwingrider.com/

My biggest fear with the Motoport stuff is fit issues.
You could send a good-fitting shirt and pair of pants for them to use as a guide. My wife's jacket and my pants did not fit, even after being measured, but they made it right.
Right there is the problem. If they are given accurate measurements, the gear should fit the first time. Will they pay my shipping costs to send them "guide clothing"? Not likely. Did they pay your shipping costs to return your wife's gear for alterations? If I'm paying big dollars for something, I expect it to be right the first time.

Plus the liner seems ridiculously expensive. I can understand the Kevlar being pricey, but $189 for a liner?!?!?
You could use your favorite good-fitting rain gear under the mesh, but anything good that's waterproof and breathable is going to cost something, and Cycleport's liners are lifetime warranteed.
Based on my shopping thus far, most of the larger manufacturer's jackets and pants come with the liners. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging on Motoport gear. It looks like really nice stuff. I'm certainly not bagging on you either. I guess the Motoport gear, and the trouble with getting it right, just doesn't seem like a good value for my dollar.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to everyone for their input. I decided to go with the Cortech GX Air 2 jacket, HRX2 pants, and the Hyperkewl Deluxe Sport Vest. Now I'll finally be ATGATT! :D

Mike

Congratulations on your purchase, and for going ATGATT! Let us know how you like your Cortech gear. I had a Tourmaster Transition 2 jacket and Caliber overpants from Tourmaster (same company) that I really liked.

Congrats on joining the ATGATT crowd!

I have to give my +1 for the Cycleport air mesh kevlar, I have the full setup, jacket and pants, and it's far superior IMHO to anything I've used in the past

Pricey but worth it :)