Not sure if FJR is right for me

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
Going to and from Americade, I had a lot of time to make some observations about my bike, it feels like I'm riding on top of bike instead of on the bike, if you know what I mean. I'm still getting pain behind my neck no matter what I try. I have a Corbin seat, grip puppies, throttlemeiser, Heli triple clamp. I had Harleys and I didn't like them either. I love the look, the speed the handleing of the bike but after while on the bike I start getting the pain. The trip is only a 160 miles from my house and we stopped once due the rain coming in, but I get the pain on shorter trips also. I'm not sure what is the right bike for me, any suggestions would be appriciated.

Well a corbin seat rides like a rock. I think a change there is the first thing I would do. Russell has a nice suspension built in for a smooth ride. They aren't cheap though but well worth it. Maybe someone close by can let you swap seats for a test ride. Also check your suspension settings. See clicky below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well a corbin seat rides like a rock. I think a change there is the first thing I would do. Russell has a nice suspension built in for a smooth ride. They aren't cheap though but well worth it. Maybe someone close by can let you swap seats for a test ride. Also check your suspension settings. See clicky below.
I've done the suspension settings, as far as the seat goes I have a issue with the added height from the Russell.

The FJR may not be the bike for you. I have ridden most of the bikes out there, with the exception of the true sportbikes on the market and it's my opinion that the FJR is very similar to most sport touring bikes available. Slightly less comfortable than the R1150rt I had, but not much. The RT sat more upright and had a more neutral sitting position.

You had a Harley and didn't like it? Which model? Some of the cruisers are not real comfortable, (they're mostly for looking at anyway), but the touring bikes are very comfortable. I know it can get expensive trying new bikes, maybe you could visit some dealers and talk them into test rides to make comparisons. I know the BMW dealers will invite you to ride whatever they have.

Hmm...

Visit a chiropractor, perhaps? Could be something else going on in your neck.

Lighter helmet / taller windshield? My neck can get fatigued when on a long ride in windy (especially cross-wind) conditions.

Are you familiar with the Master Yoda Riding Position?

Sometimes I'll take a couple of Advil before I ride, too.

Perhaps have the lil' lady give you a neck rub every 50 miles while on the bike... :rolleyes:

As Tom asked - what model(s) Harley? I had a Wide Glide for 10 years that was agonizing to ride more than about 100 miles at a stretch, and after maybe 200 - 250 miles in a day I was done. I've got an '09 Ultra now that's as comfy as can be - night and day difference.

Master Yoda and relaxing your muscles. Both very good advice. It doesn't come over night however. Like many things, practice makes perfect. Strengthen your core muscles. let the arms neck and shoulder relax. Master Yoda works. I believ the FJR is a fine long distance tourer. The ergos allow easy body position changes to reduce fatigue and it promotes good body posture. Excellent weather protection, etc, etc. Of course getting a seat and windshield that works for you is very important IMHO. keep trying!

Pain in the upper back (shoulder blade area and up) is indicative of leaning on the handlebars. Google the Master Yoda riding position mentioned in the previous post. It works. Instead of rolling your lower back forward to get to the bars, you roll forward at the hip joint, keeping your back straight. You back and thighs support your upper body, the same as they do while walking, and you should have no weight on your arms and shoulders.

To find out if you're doing it right, let go of the bars. If you had to shift your weight to let go, then you're not in the correct position.

The FJR may not be the bike for you. I have ridden most of the bikes out there, with the exception of the true sportbikes on the market and it's my opinion that the FJR is very similar to most sport touring bikes available. Slightly less comfortable than the R1150rt I had, but not much. The RT sat more upright and had a more neutral sitting position.
You had a Harley and didn't like it? Which model? Some of the cruisers are not real comfortable, (they're mostly for looking at anyway), but the touring bikes are very comfortable. I know it can get expensive trying new bikes, maybe you could visit some dealers and talk them into test rides to make comparisons. I know the BMW dealers will invite you to ride whatever they have.
I had a 07 Fat Boy.

Pain in the upper back (shoulder blade area and up) is indicative of leaning on the handlebars. Google the Master Yoda riding position mentioned in the previous post. It works. Instead of rolling your lower back forward to get to the bars, you roll forward at the hip joint, keeping your back straight. You back and thighs support your upper body, the same as they do while walking, and you should have no weight on your arms and shoulders.
To find out if you're doing it right, let go of the bars. If you had to shift your weight to let go, then you're not in the correct position.
I've read the Master Yoda riding position, I must be stupid, I really don't understand when it says bend at the hips not at the waist. Isn't that the same thing? I'm not sure how to apply his method, I willing to try anything because I really do like the bike.

I've read the Master Yoda riding position, I must be stupid, I really don't understand when it says bend at the hips not at the waist. Isn't that the same thing? I'm not sure how to apply his method, I willing to try anything because I really do like the bike.
Think "make your back concave" rather than "slouching". Make sure your arms are relaxed (simple check: can you easily draw your elbows in to clear them from your view in the mirrors? Flap them, even!). Don't grip the handlebars tightly. In general, relax; learn to use your thighs and buttocks to hold your position, not your arms and back.

Then build up your saddle time gradually.

I don't know what the hell a Yoda is, but I'm with El Toro Joe, you just gotta relax. You're way to tense.

I dun rode 450 miles for 9 hours yesterday, and I can't get over how comfortable this bike is. I have the stock seat, stock bars, and stock windscreen; I do have a cramp buster & Vista Cruise. It's relatively easy to flick for such a big pig, so even riding HWYs 49, 193, 70, and La Port road yesterday, I'm I fit as a fiddle and ready to ride more.

RELAX, RELAX, RELAX!!! :p

Two things I've done to help keep me from riding tensed up:

Cover the clutch and brake, always. This keeps me from subconsciously putting a death grip on the handlebars.

Cramp buster, also helps keep my hands loosed on the grips.

I would also investigate your helmet/windscreen position/riding posture. I've used a couple of different helmets on each of my FJR's, and the different airflows of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 affected each helmet differently. So far, I have found my Shoei RF1000 to be the best match for my 08 (keeping in mind that I am 5'9", with stock seat and windscreen).

Maybe the source of expertise required is doctor, chiropractor, physical therapist and/or personal trainer?

I'm 58, and 150 miles wouldn't cause me excessive aches and pains, unless maybe it was on a true sport bike or a rigid framed chopper, esp. on rough roads. Everyone's different, but I don't know enough about your riding experience, style or posture to give you advice on what you might do differently in terms of riding the bike or setting it up to alleviate your discomfort. OTOH, some people with medical or physiological issues are going to experience pain from positions and techniques that don't affect others. I'd think that the above mentioned professionals might reliably advise you about that, and tell you whether there's some sort of conditioning program or exercises that might give you relief.

I had to do pretty much all the same things you did to my bike too. I also put on a taller windshield it should take some of the pressure from the wind off. I can ride 400 to 500 miles in a day without to much trouble. I had a burning feeling in the back of my neck after just a short ride to. That's when I started changing things, I'm not sure which one or the combination of all of them. But I don't have the neck pain anymore.

While I'm still trying to sort things through -- esp. the seat and not having my knees in pain after an hour or so (I'm going to try the "stand on the pegs every 30 minutes idea someone posted) -- one thing I know I've found to be helpful is using your thighs to grip the tank when slowing down/braking. Adopting that (and I'm still trying to make it automatic) made a huge difference in stress on hands/wrists and shoulders.

I'm 5'8" and when I first bought my 09 I thought I made a bad choice. After a vstream windshield and a new triple tree things improved greatly. After that it was mostly conditioning the muscles to the riding position of the bike. Now I have no problems riding my commute or any other trip with no pain. I guess the answer to my problem was riding and then thinking which muscles hurt? I then used other muscles in my body to relieve the muscles that hurt.

Good luck,

Denny

Bear with me here. Last year was was doing some cleanup and maintenance around the farm after a tornado went through. Next morning my neck was killing me. Thought it was just cause I was old. Long story short, I now have 2 1/2" of titanium attached to my cervical spine. Pain free.

I didn't know there was an issue. That day of work aggravated the problem enough to get my attention.

If you've tried other bikes, other positions, and you're sure you're not super tense when you're riding then go get it checked out. Might be something going on that you otherwise wouldn't know about.

Having said that, all the above are great ideas...especially the Ms Yoda position practice.

Good luck.